This is the 96- steering column hole:

MJ236.jpg

This the 97+ steering column hole, it needs to to cutout and moved obviously. Not exactly sure how I will go about that.

MJ237.jpg

Here you can see that the newer C101 plug hole, what I will probably do it cutout the donor shape and then use the bolt holes in the older plug to hold the plate in place.

MJ238.jpg

MJ239.jpg

This is the older style steering column bracket, it will need to but cutout and the new one(below) welded in.

MJ240.jpg

MJ241.jpg

Here you can see the older style heater core hole is a little different, but it'll work.

MJ242.jpg

MJ243.jpg

Here you can see the upper dash bolt points are different, not sure what to do about those.

MJ244.jpg

MJ245.jpg

This is the older side mount bracket studs/bolt holes, the newer style is below, as you can see there are a fair amount of differences.

MJ246.jpg

MJ247.jpg

This is the older style door post latch, this is a little tricky but can be dealt with fairly easily.

MJ248.jpg

MJ249.jpg

And this is where I think I will mount the filter head:

MJ250.jpg

I'm not sure why but I have a filter head with different banjo fittings on it, which won't work in my configuration, so the bent stockers are perfect.

MJ251.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steering column/dash bracket cutoff:

MJ253.jpg

MJ254.jpg

Lets do this:

MJ255.jpg

Passenger side bracket welded on(the thin stuff at the top was a b*@$£)

MJ256.jpg

I got the drivers side partially welded on then tossed the dash in place to make sure I had measured the right place to weld the brackets on. Looks good to me, dash sits in place like it should.

MJ257.jpg

Looking good, that diesel engine is gonna be sweet.... I am also doing the 97+ swap and on the top of the dash I just cut the xj's top dash mounts out and welded them to the mj, but that may be a real pain with an oxy/ace torch and the thin metal, looking forward to more updates

Todays update:

Finished welding the brackets in place, patched a hole in the firewall I burned when tacking things in place, gonna wire wheel em then through some primer on tomorrow, then onto the lower pivot bolts, tranny tunnel bolts, patch a rust hole in the floor, weld in the 97+ seat bracket, do the firewall mods, door latch posts.......etc etc

And so no one thinks I'm a slacker I did a timing belt on a diesel KJ this morning.

I'm not picking on you here, but the weld might flow together nicer if you made sure all the paint was buffed off the weld area before welding.I know it's a pain welding the edge of that thin stuff, I've had the best luck just plug welding inside the holes. I really like what youre doing here, and looking forward to seeing it on the road.

I'm not picking on you here, but the weld might flow together nicer if you made sure all the paint was buffed off the weld area before welding.I know it's a pain welding the edge of that thin stuff, I've had the best luck just plug welding inside the holes. I really like what youre doing here, and looking forward to seeing it on the road.

It was all cleaned and prepped, its just metal thats 1.2mm thick.(and maybe operator skill)

plug welds were much better though

nice build, but i have one thought on the oil filter...and no, it's not about the Fram. it looks like the stock set up includes a heat exchanger filled with coolant? will that cause any problems not having it?

nice info on the CCD/PCI and SRS adaptation.

• 2 months later...
nice build, but i have one thought on the oil filter...and no, it's not about the Fram. it looks like the stock set up includes a heat exchanger filled with coolant? will that cause any problems not having it?

nice info on the CCD/PCI and SRS adaptation.

The heat exchanger is still there, I just removed the cartridge style oil filter, instead it now uses a spin on TJ filter. Which means in the future I may go with a remote filter setup that would work for a TJ, but for now that will work.

Got the steering column bracket in place, modded it to accept one of the existing studs and then welded one from the donor vehicle in place on the side.

MJ258.jpg

Then I got the lower pivot hole welded in, cut off the factory nut from the donor then drilled a hole and welded the plate in. Still need to do the passenger side.

MJ260.jpg

As you can see here two of the upper dash bolt holes don't line up, I think I'm going to weld a tab to the existing smaller lip and then drill a hole and move the threaded clip in place, then just use a large washer on the small bolt, this needs to be done on both sides.

MJ259.jpg

New tab added for 97+ dash:

MJ261.jpg

Welded:

MJ262.jpg

Now I need to drill some holes for the threaded tabs:

MJ263.jpg

MJ264.jpg

It bolts in where it should now!

MJ265.jpg

MJ266.jpg

Passenger side pivot bolt welded in:

MJ267.jpg

This is the tranny tunnel bracket, I will need to add threaded mount for it. I'm not sure if I will add a nut to the backside the time time I have the tranny out, or If I should do it via the topside right now. Leaning towards doing it topside now so I can move on from the dash to other things.

MJ268.jpg

Need to drill one new hole to accommodate the newer 97+ airbox, otherwise the 97+ airbox is done!

MJ269.jpg

MJ270.jpg

Next up is the trans tunnel support and then the 97+ seat brackets.

• 1 month later...

Got a shell for the MJ, its a brahma which means its kinda cheap, maybe in the future if I find a nice leer that I like I will upgrade, but for now this is fine by me.

MJ271.jpg

MJ272.jpg

MJ273.jpg

MJ274.jpg

The holy grail of MJ 97+ door panels:

MJ275.jpg

Scored a set of seats from a 2 door......the seats themselves are pretty much junk, but they have the tilt mechanisms which can be installed into just about every other jeep seat(could install them in heated leather seats for example).

MJ276.jpg

• 8 months later...

Sir Sam, I would really like to know how and what is all needed in order to upgrade my 1996 XJ dashboard out for a 97+ dash along with original cluster, climate controls, radio, steeringwheel & airbags, I will follow all instructions to the "T" to make it all work correctly, I already have the complete dash and wiering just need to be pointed in the right direction, thanks in advance!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

With the help of freerider I picked up this camper top for the MJ. Looks like it was originally from an S10. Heavy SOB, picked it up friday night and got it set on this morning.

IMG_9418.JPG
IMG_9419.JPG
IMG_9421.JPG

Lets see what 2018 brings. :lol:

Actually, 'Nests were made ridiculously universal between make/models. They went off of bed size and that's about it. They had the huge mounting flanges on the inside of them just for that reason. Looks good on there!... now get it done.  :smart:

• 1 year later...

Rolled the MJ into the garage and started prepping the KJ axle, got the KJ brackets - lower control arm, shock mount, and spring pad cutoff, and I am half done grinding the tube smooth.

Brackets to cutoff:

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

Spring pad cleaned up:

IMG_1361.JPG

Everything cutoff:

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

In preparation for installing the axle I sprayed the leaf springs. They were basically bare steel, or one step above it. So I prepped them by cleaning with Acetone and a microfiber rag. I had a ton of high temp rustoleum black around so I used that, hit the leaves with a bunch of coats of. Might not be the best prep or cleanup or even paint for the long term, but its gotta be better than bare and I'll its under the jeep anyway.

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

Oh and I found the bushing wasn't fully/correctly pressed into one of the springs. So one bushing sticks out too far to the right, and the other sticks out too far to the left.

I'd say the combined tolerance stackup is approaching 3/4". Grrrrrrr. Guess I'll give the balljoint press a try to center them.

So I made a video showing some things I ran into with the spring......
https://youtu.be/4aUsUiwlxrk

I think I'm going to try and push to have some more videos go along with what I'm doing, youtube recently changed their rules so I am now in a push to hit 100k subcribers, I have a little over 500 currently.

Shameless plug:
For any of you willing to subscribe please to help me out you can do so by clicking on:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtRd0ADTAvGGaPDYU6MrGIQ?sub_confirmation=1

Finished installing the Chevy drop shackles. I got about an inch of lift out of them, I have one higher hole on the shackles I could use, but it won't give me much more lift.

This was the set I picked up, I am pleased with the quality for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0106NWAJY

IMG_1440.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG

MJ shackle top(which is longer than an XJ shackle)
IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

The width is a little different. I used giant cresent wrench to bend open the frame side shackle box, put the shackle in, and then bolted it tight. If I were a more patient man I would have pulled the bushing out, shaved down the width of the metal sleeve, and then bushing to make it the correct size.

IMG_1443.JPG

Likewise the other end is a little large, I picked up a couple of fender washers to take up space and then bolted it tight, again the nut and bolt pulled it closed some.

IMG_1444.JPG

Installed in lower position:

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

How it sits now:

About 20" between flare bottom and wheel center. Height is OK. Might end up moving the shackle up once springs settle some.