We only mention it because we care. :cheers:

Like a stalker cares about the girl he is "courting" :yes:

She never objected to me living in her crawl space. 8)

Willy

damn...you got the crawl space? :fs1:

Sir Sam, I believe your point is taken lol.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much else to add, got my passenger side mount finished today, need to modify the drivers side mount in the same way. I tried to start on that tonight but my chop saw blade self destructed, time for a new one, gotta wait till harbor freight opens tomorrow morning to get another.

MJ181.jpg

MJ182.jpg

MJ183.jpg

After this I need to make a little plate to bolt the transmission to the transmission mount, after that I will work on clearancing the floor to clear the transfer case(trans and transfer case are a good deal further back than they were stock.

Old part of engine mount bracket cut off, new piece of angle iron tacked on.

MJ184.jpg

MJ185.jpg

MJ186.jpg

MJ187.jpg

Tacked all the way around:

MJ188.jpg

I may not be the best welder, but, well........I may not be the best welder.

MJ189.jpg

MJ190.jpg

MJ191.jpg

Look ma, no hands!

MJ192.jpg

MJ193.jpg

Drivers side mount under compression:

MJ194.jpg

MJ195.jpg

MJ196.jpg

So theres that, got the engine mounts done and the engine in place, I need to modify the transmount to bolt now, and then I will need to clearance the rear floor to get the transfer case in place.

Plenty of stuff to be done.

Sir_Chris thinks it's looking good..... and yes I mean in a stalker kinda way :thumbsup:

Good, and you should like this update:

(you do know I have a build thread on naxja too right?)

Worked on fitting the 2500 fenders and headlights:

MJ197.jpg

MJ198.jpg

MJ199.jpg

MJ200.jpg

MJ201.jpg

MJ202.jpg

MJ203.jpg

MJ204.jpg

MJ205.jpg

MJ206.jpg

MJ207.jpg

MJ208.jpg

MJ209.jpg

MJ210.jpg

Sir_Chris thinks it's looking good..... and yes I mean in a stalker kinda way :thumbsup:

Yep, I saw it over there. I've been spending more time over here lately.. kinda burned out on XJ's due to all the 2500 stuff and figured I'd work on the MJ for a stint... you know because it's so different! ;) I even saw your thread on an Aussie site I was getting some 2.5TD parts from. Never got why they didn't get MJ's down there.

Yep, I saw it over there. I've been spending more time over here lately.. kinda burned out on XJ's due to all the 2500 stuff and figured I'd work on the MJ for a stint... you know because it's so different! ;) I even saw your thread on an Aussie site I was getting some 2.5TD parts from. Never got why they didn't get MJ's down there.

Ya who knows.......

Which reminds me....I should post some updates down under.

this gap gets better, but its going to take a lot of work to sit flush.

MJ211.jpg

But then look at a US OEM fender, you can see that its many times better quality in the stamping.

MJ212.jpg

All sorts of rippled and nasty looking:

MJ213.jpg

MJ214.jpg

MJ215.jpg

this is the upper header bolt that you want to duplicate:

MJ216.jpg

Once again you want to make a 97+ upper mount for the 96 fender, and then you want the lower 96 mount.

MJ217.jpg

Also, this is what your bent over support looks like after modifying it to clear the 2500 header.

• 1 month later...

Well I got to thinking today that maybe I should get back to work. So I started thinking about what I needed to do next which is to get the springs back under it so I can move on with fabbing up the tranny mount.

Well I got to thinking and decided that the D30 is just too weak of an axle to put under the front end with 30.5" tires, so I decided to put a JK Dana 44 front under it. Quick search of craigslist and I went and picked up the cheapest one I could find at $300.

Its missing the passenger side knuckle and the brakes, I will either replace everything thats missing and go back to JK specs, replace just the pass high steer knuckle and try to use D30 unit bearings, or put on WJ high steer knuckles and brakes(cheapest option thus far and keeps the 5x4.5 pattern)

And now I will probably get a 8.8 with 4.10s and LSD for the rear, which is my ideal setup, selectable locker in the front, LSD in the rear. I'll top it off with a TJ locker switch and have everything nice and factory like I like.

MJ219.jpg

MJ220.jpg

Its missing the passenger side knuckle and the brakes, I will either replace everything thats missing and go back to JK specs, replace just the pass high steer knuckle and try to use D30 unit bearings, or put on WJ high steer knuckles and brakes(cheapest option thus far and keeps the 5x4.5 pattern)

And now I will probably get a 8.8 with 4.10s and LSD for the rear, which is my ideal setup, selectable locker in the front, LSD in the rear. I'll top it off with a TJ locker switch and have everything nice and factory like I like.

Will any of the pre-JK D30 outers work on the JK D44? I've never tried, but for some I was pretty sure they wouldn't work.

Which 8.8 would you use? Explorer, F150, or some other one that is a closer width match to the JK D44?

Willy

Will any of the pre-JK D30 outers work on the JK D44? I've never tried, but for some I was pretty sure they wouldn't work.

Which 8.8 would you use? Explorer, F150, or some other one that is a closer width match to the JK D44?

Willy

No idea if the older D30 knuckles will work or not, I am going to find out though. I haven't been able to find anything probative searching around online though.

I will use a exploder 8.8 and use some spacers in the rear.

Willy

No idea if the older D30 knuckles will work or not, I am going to find out though. I haven't been able to find anything probative searching around online though.

I will use a exploder 8.8 and use some spacers in the rear.

Ya so the D30XJ knuckles won't mount onto the JK axle, gotta use JK knuckles. Looks like I will need to get the hubs redrilled.

Seeing how your talking 8.8, spacers, and redrilling the hubs up front, why don't you just get a JK D44 rear and be done with it. Your widths would match and you could pick up some stock JK wheels for cheap so you wouldn't have to drill the hubs up front. Moneywise you'll still be ahead by skipping something you probably won't be happy with and forking out more money later to fix it. Just my .02

Nice build by the way. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Seeing how your talking 8.8, spacers, and redrilling the hubs up front, why don't you just get a JK D44 rear and be done with it. Your widths would match and you could pick up some stock JK wheels for cheap so you wouldn't have to drill the hubs up front. Moneywise you'll still be ahead by skipping something you probably won't be happy with and forking out more money later to fix it. Just my .02

Nice build by the way. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

That would be expensive and I don't want JK wheels. I love my silverstars and am sticking with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I cleaned up the garage this evening and got back into it. So since I didn't feel like doing any real work I decided to lay out the wiring and get a handle on what I was going to need to modify.

For the most part it looks like it lays out nicely in the engine bay. There are a few sensors I will able to ditch(all the evap stuff), the ECU EFI control subharness is already removed and on the floor(very little needed to run the 4L when you strip it down), plus some misc things like cruise control etc will make the engine bay a little cleaner. Course that also means more time to strip it down remove $#!&, and rewrap it.

Also gonna be relocating the battery to the drivers side, and then running some heavy gauge wire over to the PDC.

MJ234.jpg

MJ235.jpg

Cool. I figured it was just an optical illusion. Didn't know if you suddenly going for a cowl hood look though. :D

oh trust me. It's a tall damm engine. But being stuffed so far back and with the angle the engine makes compared to the fender supports it make the front look real high.

• 11 months later...