Well I had been wondering about what to do for a radiator, and the 4cyl 2.5 radiator seems like it was perfect match....unfortunatly no one seems to make a good replacement radiator for it, only single core, plastic aluminum setups. There are some all aluminum radiators on ebay, but they are single core.

Well this was all moot, I was just going to wait untill I came to that bridge to burn it. The thinking was that I would wait untill I knew for certain what I needed to use for a radiator to order one....I have a good 2 core OEM radiator here from a 2001 6 cyl, that I could use, and I have the crappy old radiator from my MJ I could use for mockup. The problem was, the more I looked at it and the more I measured the more certain I became that I would need to use it. Which left me with the problem that if I did need to use it, there would not be a good replacement option.

Now anyone can spend the time to custom mount a custom radiator, or an off the shelf radiator for something like a YJ/TJ, but since I am faced with enough fabrication already here I am hoping for something that will bolt in.

Now that being said I came across something at the junkyard that is either a windfall, or a white elephant, here we have a nearly new, single core(but thicker than a double core) OEM style radiator, $50 is a little pricey in my mind, but if it works out will be a good solution. If it doesn't well crap, I just wasted $50.

MJ129.jpg

MJ130.jpg

Got the windshield removed and safely stored in the basement:

MJ131.jpg

Got some tie downs off of a ford exploder sport track(and a 8.8 with 4.10s and LSD- all ready sold jamminz.gif )

MJ132.jpg

And of course further probing reveals more rust, what ticked me off about this bit was all the rust was below the seam sealer........ya, the metal rusted out below the seam sealer......grrr, oh well, I got a junk hood that I will raid for patch metal. Fun part is going to be welded in the patch panel with an Arc welder......I got some 1/32" sticks that seem to work OK on sheet metal.

MJ133.jpg

I need to spend a hour or so cleaning up before I move on with work, garage is cluttered with a bunch of parts strewn around.

MJ134.jpg

I got these dollys at harbor freight, they actually work really well for rolling the Jeep back and forth in the garage, I would highly recommend them to anyone who thinks they might be useful.

MJ135.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like it is coming along great. I did notice that u did have the stock tan interior in it before u changed the interior and i was wondering if u got any pieces left over from it that u are willing to sell. I am looking into the seat belts the center console that goes around the shifter and maybe a couple others things but not sure yet. If u could get back to me that would be great

I bought the same rad last summer , it's actually more efficient than the 2 row types . Mine cost $ 160 , you got a good deal :thumbsup:

Only a good deal if I can actually use it, otherwise its just money wasted.

Looks like it is coming along great. I did notice that u did have the stock tan interior in it before u changed the interior and i was wondering if u got any pieces left over from it that u are willing to sell. I am looking into the seat belts the center console that goes around the shifter and maybe a couple others things but not sure yet. If u could get back to me that would be great

Yes I should be able to sell those two things.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the engine out today, pulled the engine and trans together, and of course, what do I realize as soon as I start pulling the engine......i forgot to drain the tranny, ya, it dumped all its gear oil all over my garage floor.

I swear, thats like the 4th time I have forgotten that. Dammit Dammit Dammit.

so I rolled it outside(easy to push with no engine trans, interior, etc etc) and washed out the garage and also scrubbed down the engine bay. Got it pretty clean, normally I wouldn't bother but it needs to be throughly degreased before I can shoot paint.

Still need to do some other cleanup and tear down before I can shoot paint, though I will probably wait to shoot the engine bay untill later, going to try and get most stuff mocked up, then ripped back out for paint.

this weeks major goal is the get the drivetrain in place so I can move on to mocking up the interior, front end body parts, AC, intercooler, etc.

MJ136.jpg

MJ137.jpg

MJ138.jpg

MJ139.jpg

MJ140.jpg

MJ141.jpg

MJ142.jpg

MJ143.jpg

MJ144.jpg

MJ145.jpg

These are just a bunch of picture of the side of the engine, I figured I would never have as good of a view of it again once its in, so I took some pictures for reference.

MJ146.jpg

MJ147.jpg

MJ148.jpg

MJ149.jpg

MJ150.jpg

MJ151.jpg

MJ152.jpg

MJ153.jpg

MJ154.jpg

MJ155.jpg

MJ156.jpg

The combination of the extreme height of the engine, and the depth of the oil pan, means that at the very least the front end needs to sit up about 3" and the engine needs to sit back a good ways to clear the front differential. To get good clearance the firewall needs to be persuaded into a different shape.

MJ157.jpg

MJ158.jpg

MJ159.jpg

MJ160.jpg

MJ161.jpg

Its gonna be tight:

MJ162.jpg

MJ163.jpg

Your Dogs look like they are a blast to have around.

Nice job on the project so far! :clapping:

They like getting to hang out while I work, my dog(Zeus, the big one) will just hang out front and chill, the little one(Sandy, my dads dog). Can't be trusted to stay put, and has to be leashed out front.

Lots of extra metal on the fender that needs to be removed:

MJ164.jpg

Here you can see the parts of the headlight support that need to be trimmed:

MJ165.jpg

MJ166.jpg

This will be my drivers side engine mount, its a engine mount for something, I just grabbed it off the shelf at autozone because it looked close, it has the right height to clear the articulation of the upper control arm. I just wish it was heavier duty looking.

MJ167.jpg

This is going to be the passenger side engine mount, its very similar in design to the OEM KJ mounts, but it only about 3" tall, the passenger side engine bracket sits up much taller than the drivers side, so I have to use the shorter one on the drivers side.

MJ168.jpg

MJ169.jpg

MJ170.jpg

MJ172.jpg

This is the Oil filter location, when I got the engine it came with a cartridge style oil filter that stuck way out, it just wasn't going to clear the frame rail, I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit anything and would need to get an oil filter relocation kit. So today at autozone I brought my parts down and started looking at oil filters, of course the larger fram PH8A and the sotck PH16 work, but both are too large, I started grabbing some off the shelf and it looks like the one I picked works perfect, as it turns out it looks like its for the 4cyl XJ/TJs........lucky for me I will actually be able to get this oil filter on and off when the engine installed:

MJ171.jpg

MJ173.jpg

MJ174.jpg

MJ175.jpg

MJ176.jpg

MJ177.jpg

MJ178.jpg

MJ179.jpg

MJ180.jpg

You're not seriously going to go to all that work and put a Fram oil filter on there are you?

Willy

If I could have found one cheaper I would have used it. At 3.99 if it didn't fit it was no great loss.

I think what Willy's saying is, now that you've found the proper size, be sure to buy one of a better quality. :D I wouldn't use a Fram filter on my lawnmower, let alone a Jeep. :no:

My Audi had one on there when I brought it home from the dealership after purchase. I about had a heart attack............... :yes:

I think what Willy's saying is, now that you've found the proper size, be sure to buy one of a better quality. :D I wouldn't use a Fram filter on my lawnmower, let alone a Jeep. :no:

I know what he is saying, I've also gotten real tired of people interjecting their opinions about fram(and not that I disagree with them) every single time you see an engine being mocked up.

I know one guy that got so tired of it he would take the fram off before posting pictures of the engine he was building. Even when he would point out in big bold letters it was for mockup only people would still interject into it.

Hopefully just leaving it there no one makes a point about it and life goes on.