MJ#757 ..it's an 87...no, it's a 95, no, it's a...97+?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well keep up the good work. Your threads make me realize that the little things that need fixed on my XJ seem petty after i watch you rescue and resurrect an XJ/MJ so quickly. :cheers:

lol. thanks man :D

speaking of which...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

i don't have time to replace the bad sheet steel, so i straightened it out with the limited time I did have (it's better but not quite perfect yet...)

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

then found that the hood hinges are even bent...so they've gotta be replaced

Image Not Found

and starting to get the body panels back on

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

that's pretty much it for this week as I'm rebuilding a 4.0 for a buddy and installing it in place of his hydrolocked 4.0 over the next week ($$$$ for me to afford lift kit parts) in my spare time...then I'll strip my 2 door xj donor this week and take the trans etc. from it and toss it in this comanche, lift it, install the exhaust, finish the interior up and then last of all reinstall the grille and header panel. should have this done in the next two weeks, then after that i'm prepping beaterjeep's "surprise"

Image Not Found

should have this done in the next two weeks, then after that i'm prepping beaterjeep's "surprise"

Hey, that's pretty slick, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the CB up top and the stereo in the middle? I'm sure it'd make getting CD's out just a bit easier. How ya gonna keep everything in place though? Just screw it all? Think we could do that to the MJ15 too? Am I asking too many questions? Would you like me to ask more? Would you like me to stop now? What exactly is this "surprise" you claim you have for me? Or can you not tell me? Would you tell me if I guessed it? I'm very tired right now, can you tell? Can I finish this post off with a question? Did you know the grille is off?

Hey, that's pretty slick, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the CB up top and the stereo in the middle? I'm sure it'd make getting CD's out just a bit easier. How ya gonna keep everything in place though? Just screw it all? Think we could do that to the MJ15 too? Am I asking too many questions? Would you like me to ask more? Would you like me to stop now? What exactly is this "surprise" you claim you have for me? Or can you not tell me? Would you tell me if I guessed it? I'm very tired right now, can you tell? Can I finish this post off with a question? Did you know the grille is off?

lmao.

yep, i was thinking about switching it above the CD player, but the mic wouldn't clip into the clips then...so i'd have to relocate it. of course, i could still do it and put a few switches in that area to power on or off the manual shifter i'll be installing.

yes, MJ15 will get this setup...and as you well know, the surprise is more for everyone else than it is for you, since you already know :brows: ;)

so I got my dad's friend Bruce (who is a machinest) to set me up on his lathe to make something...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

they're sleeves for the UCA bushings of the control arms I'm building. managed to find the proper diameter solid stock and I bored out the center to match the OD of the bushing itself, and had bruce finish the proper machining on it.

the arms themselves are 1-3/4" OD, 1-1/4 ID so they're quarter-wall. these are just the upper arms...they're going to be adjustable so I'm using some 2-1/4" square tube that's 1/4 wall to go around the bushings, then welding a 2" sleeve to it and putting the 1-1/3" machine thread stock in there. it'll be adjustable similar to the rough country adj. UCA's...though I will have a lock-nut on them which I will loosen when offroad, and tighten when on-road for flex purposes.

the LCA's are fixed with RE superflex joint on the axle-side of the arm, and stock bushings on the body-side of the bushing. I'm using stock bushings simply because it is what I had to work with :cheers:

anyways, that's the only thing that's new with the project...i'm replacing a friend's hydrolocked 4.0 tomorrow, and this week I will get back on track with the MJ...gonna gut the drivetrain and install a new drivetrain in the next week :brows: jamminz.gif

Edit:

UCA's need to be 15-5/8" long at adjustment, LCA's need to be 17.1875" long center to center

• 3 weeks later...

lifting her this weekend...hopefully I can get the whole thing done.

just some pics of the UCA's i'm building

I need to chop the uppers down, then put the lower threaded inserts into a section of pipe and weld them up, then trim down the C-channel (it's 2" ID square tubing with a side cut off) and weld that up too.

the LCA's are also home-built. stock bushings on the body-side just like the uppers, with a set of RE superflex 550 joints on the bottoms

anyways, I'm hoping to have it together and maybe road-worthy by the badlands trip...though I won't be able to make it down there :(

had quite the score from a local today...

got a 4wd aw4 from a 95 xj that he and I worked a deal on, a a-pillar gauge pod with trans temp gauge for "free",

YJ ax15 with yj 4wd shifter for $150

np231 with SYE for $250 (to be payed...he needed it gone, i didn't have enough $$$ with me)

so, all of the auto stuff will be going in the 87

began the lift, got the front axle in and the rear axle out.

my favorite pic. this is perfectly lined up with the axle...this is ride height more or less, and my axle clearance.

installed new hood hinges as well, since the old ones were completely FUBAR, and lined up some of the body panels.

body panels lined up

All that room to work and help. I hate you Pat.

J/K :D

I can't walk completely around mine in the garage. To much stuff in the way. I wish I could work at your speed, and be overly anal about the details. This is like number 5 or so since I started our build. Looking good.

What size tire are you using?

:cheers:

thanks...I'm not being very anal about it though right now...it just needs to run and drive (the repairs to the front header panel were, at least in my opinion, halfassed...though not as much as they were previously).

it is nice to walk around it though...

as for number done...I've not really finished a single project of mine since the 3800, which wasn't really finished anyways. so, the number is still zero.

anyways, tire size is 33x10.50R15 BFG AT/KO's...that might give you perspective on the size of the truck as it sits.

I was referring to myself as the one being overly anal. :D I can't get a bolt on without planning what color to paint it and how many turns it should have.

Like the stance with the 33's. If I remember right that's going to be a 6in lift? I hope so because if it's like 4.5in, I'm going to have to reconsider the 31's on ours.

I was referring to myself as the one being overly anal. :D I can't get a bolt on without planning what color to paint it and how many turns it should have.

Like the stance with the 33's. If I remember right that's going to be a 6in lift? I hope so because if it's like 4.5in, I'm going to have to reconsider the 31's on ours.

33" tires will fit with 3" or more lift with proper fender triming and raised flares. :hmm: 10.50's fit much easier the 12.50's. :popcorn:

lift without t-case and front driveshaft weight or exhaust weight =

25-3/8" distance from center of front hub to bottom of the front flare (which is in the stock location)...

the jeep sits 6'1" tall at the roof.

any idea how much lift that is with 33" tires?

the rear is set up, I just need to find the pinion angle after I install the transmission, do brakes, and the rear is done.

front axle needs the ball joints done. the parts I got were sub-standard and I don't want to use sub-standard parts.

anyways, tranny and rear will be done today, then I'm building the front control arms in the morning and putting it together. that's the last of the serious issues :D

lift without t-case and front driveshaft weight or exhaust weight =

25-3/8" distance from center of front hub to bottom of the front flare (which is in the stock location)...

the jeep sits 6'1" tall at the roof.

any idea how much lift that is with 33" tires?

My MJ with 7.5" of lift on brand new 33*12.5 R15 is 6'2" from the ground to the roof

thanks.

here are some pics. the tranny is currently out, and I'm putting together the 95 4wd tranny with 87 TC and new TC seal, installing it, then adding

the t-case and shift linkages.

this is the a-pillar gauge pod with trans temp gauge that I will be running.

ubolts and spring perches

SOA begins

axle in, perches are not yet welded (waiting on trans to set angle for SYE t-case)

pics of it as it will sit "complete"

back to the working... :cheers:

installed the header panel and finished adjusting the fenders as well. now it needs the headlight on the passenger side, a new chrome strip on the bottom, and the bezels.

installing the trans, 4wd shifter linkage, and finishing the rear axle before noon tomorrow, then I need to do some running around to get the new front axle parts (ball joints, ujoints, wheel bearings) and exhaust from TNT, and get that all installed.

from there, should be pretty easy work...just clean floors and maybe rhino-line them or something, and install the interior and new heater box.

well the tranny is in, putting in cooling lines now, i cut myself with the exacto knife while cutting the line to re-crimp it. pretty good too on my left middle finger :roll: (hard to type now...)1

installed my shift linkages as well and find that the TJ shifter works GREAT and is a direct bolt-on and much nicer with the indicator built in.

transmission installed completely, axle perches are welded, just need to install the exhaust, front bumper, and finish the front axle and control arms

put a TJ shifter in...man is it nice. around 2" higher than a factory shifter, and the indicator is right on it. i'm just putting a shift boot around it so i don't have to put a console in.