Finally got back to this. I pulled the axle to finish welding the shock mounts. While I was at it I decided to take care of something I've had on my list for a while - welding the tubes to the differential.

First I cleaned up as much oil and dirt as I could. I took one of the non-cup style wire brushes and wedged it as far between the tubes and differential as I could.

I then welded short sections at a time and moved 180* between welds to prevent bending the tubes. Even the wire wheel wasn't able to clean out all the oil, but I think the welds should hold.

I wrapped it in a welding blanket overnight to attempt to allow it to cool slowly. Not sure if it actually did any good. :dunno:

I cleaned as much of the dirt off the tubes as I could get to and am now in the process of priming and painting before I put it back in.

Willy

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not pre-heat the tubes first? I had mine done and was told that he had to preheat the tubes and housing before welding them, and then he did wrap it to allow it to cool slowly.

That would have required a torch. :thumbsup:

Pre-heating the tubes would have been preferred, but from everything I have read it can be done without it and many have been successful without pre-heating first.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...
Everything put back together with the new shock mounts.

Willy

Looks GREAT!!

Thats one stout looking shock mount!! WELL DONE!!

CW

Heck yeah! way tougher looking than my tiny C-channel bracket and puny 5/16" bolts. :shake:

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little snow wheeling for our club's Christmas tree run (even though nobody picked up a tree). We almost made it to Lonesome Lake before everybody but Don pretty much lost all forward momentum.

The snow was pretty odd. There was a crust that covered some very dry powder that provided almost no traction. The crust was too weak to stay on top of and the powder did not compact at all.

The weather was pretty nice. Cold but not windy and the sun was out off and on through some thin clouds all day. The clouds were so high that Mt. Rainier was actually free of them.

We were pretty much stuck here. We broke through the ruts and the more we backed up the further we went towards the ditch.

More pics here.

Willy

• 1 month later...

A little late on this update, but Saturday we went on what was supposed to be the County Line Off Roader's 2nd annual snow poker run. This year the snow did not cooperate.

Luckily the poker run ends at the Elbe Hills ORV park. After confirming that our best hand of a pair of jacks wasn't good enough for any prizes, it was time for some real wheeling.

Some excitement to end the day.

More pics here.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...
How is that shock mount system working out for ya, anything you would have done different with it?

Works fine for what we use it for. I can't think of anything I would have done differently - besides paying closer attention to where I put the upper mount when on my first attempt to build it. :doh:

Willy

Saturday we spent a beautiful day at Tahuya State Forest. It was a work party which meant that the bed was filled with cans, bottles, and other random trash.

Holy crap! We actually found some rocks. :rotf:

Of course, since we were the only vehicle with a bed, we got to haul the nasty mattresses. :ack:

More rocks! :banana:

Still more rocks. :clapping:

More pics here.

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

We had another beautiful day Saturday for some great wheeling at Walker Valley.

Thank you dickhead loggers for illegally blocking the road. :fool: This was at an incredibly bad spot. We were barely able to turn around.

A comedy of errors brought to you by these drunks provided an entertaining finish to the day. The voices of reason could not penetrate their thick skulls no matter how relevant the suggestion. The Bronco II had a bootylicious square tube cage. At one point they wedged a pry bar under the low side of the BII, let off the winch, and were doing something under the BII with only the pry bar holding it up. :eek: Unfortunately the engine did not explode when he started it without pulling the plugs. :( He did wrap the winch line around his tire as everybody was yelling at him to stop. :rotf:

The recovery XJ was also a work of art. The knocking rod was like a symphony providing the background music to this production. He wanted to use some steel logging cable to anchor to one of our vehicles......using his tow hook that is bolted where the front sway bar once was. :eek: We loaned him the strap to anchor to the tree so none of our vehicles would be lost in the carnage.

More pics here.

Willy

The recovery XJ was also a work of art. The knocking rod was like a symphony providing the background music to this production.......using his tow hook that is bolted where the front sway bar once was.

I like the reciever tube on his front bumper too! :nuts: