the stock and after market headers being almost exactly the same?

Read it again. They are both Borla headers. One is an HO the other is for a renix

Correct, they are both Borla headers. :thumbsup:

Willy

plan on selling the one with the erg fitting?

No, that is what I just installed on the MJ.

Willy

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great day wheeling at Elbe Hills Saturday. All the changes worked out pretty well so far...besides the muffler. I didn't get all the parts I had ordered to put the exhaust together so I just tossed the muffler on with some wire to hold it on. It made it through the first couple of trails. Then fell off and got really loud. You could tell exactly where I was the rest of the day.

Not too many pictures of the MJ since I was solo this trip.

We did have one guy break a D35 axle at the end of the last trail of the day. Considering it was welded with 37" tires it lasted longer than all of us expected. :roll:

More pics here.

Willy

A couple of orders arrived yesterday. Got the catalytic converter and a couple of 45/180 degree bend combination tubes in 2.25" and 2.5" sizes. Besides a couple of straight pipes that I can get locally, hopefully I've got enough to finish the exhaust now.

I may need to pick up another Flowmaster too. I bent up the inlet pretty well when it fell off. :doh: I'll have to see if I can salvage it.

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

I went ahead an picked up another Flowmaster and pieced the exhaust together. I tucked the catalytic converter and muffler up under the bed.

I painted it with some VHT high temperate ceramic spray paint. I still need to install everything to cure the paint.

Willy

Installed the exhaust.

I need to find some type of exhaust wrap to keep the emergency brake cable from melting. So far none of the auto parts stores around here have anything. :roll:

I relocated the sway bar forward a few inches. It no longer contacts the drag link or springs.

I also picked up a straight tie rod and drag link that I need to install.

Now that the muffler is occupying the location once used for the passenger side shock I now need to relocate the shocks. This is something I was planning on doing anyway eventually. There was almost no travel with the shocks mounted where they were. I already have the lower shock mounts for the axle. For the top I'm going to use a piece of tubing with sleeves and multiple mounting points to put the shocks in a /\ configuration. This should allow me to use shocks with more travel. More to come as I make progress.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a longer drag link, straight tie rod, and stock pitman arm reamed for the Chevy TRE. Now the steering wheel is centered. :D

The drag link and track bar are pretty close to parallel. I only got a chance to drive it a couple of miles on the street, but it felt pretty good. :thumbsup:

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

After failing at my first attempt to properly locate the upper mounts for the rear shocks, looks like I've got something that will work now.

A few of the parts I started with. On the lower left are DIY4X lower shock mounts. The brackets on the lower right will mount to the frame. The tube will be drilled, sleeved, and welded to the frame brackets.

This is my first attempt at doing anything with round tube. I knew I needed some way to mark two straight lines down the length of the tube offset 180* from each other so that I could get the holes and sleeves as straight as possible. I came up with this jig type thing with a couple of 2x4s and a hole saw.

Here is the tube mocked up to check my chop saw notches.

The jig also came in handy to hold the tube in place for drilling the holes.

Holes drilled and sleeves in place.

Sleeves welded in.

Tube tacked in place.

Lower mounts tacked in place. This is about how it will look when finished.

Probably won't get much done for the next couple of weeks. Taking a long weekend to go to Yellowstone. :D

Willy

Nice work!! Now to re-route the exhaust!!!

CW

Thanks. I already did the exhaust. Check out the post at the top of this page. That's what started all of this. :thumbsup:

Willy

I think your last pic is what CW was talking about. From the angle of the camera, it looks like the shock will hit the exhaust if mounted in the outer-most position. After going back and looking, I can see you have plenty of clearance!

Nice work!! Now to re-route the exhaust!!!

CW

Thanks. I already did the exhaust. Check out the post at the top of this page. That's what started all of this. :thumbsup:

Willy

I think your last pic is what CW was talking about. From the angle of the camera, it looks like the shock will hit the exhaust if mounted in the outer-most position. After going back and looking, I can see you have plenty of clearance!

Now I see what you're referring to. That last pic does make it look close. The exhaust has plenty of room. You can kind of see in the next to last pic how much clearance the exhaust has on the right.

Willy