• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went on a snow poker run Saturday. Actually turned out to be a beautiful day with some great views. We also came away with a couple of raffle prizes - a first aid kit and a tow hook receiver. :banana:

Rest of the pics are here.

Willy

After the first couple of wheeling trips I knew the rear bump stops were lacking. This became even more apparent when we hauled several loads of gravel for some local trail maintenance. I had stacked up some scrap metal strips as an attempt at a quick fix that lowered the bump stops about an inch, but more was definitely needed.

I made some extensions that lower the bump stops about 3". We'll see how these do.

Willy

• 1 month later...

Replaced the rear springs. I noticed when I did the spring over the driver side was lower than the passenger side. Seemed like it had become quite a bit worse lately. There was a very noticeable lean. The leaf packs even seemed to be noticeably different from side to side. Maybe somebody replaced one set at some point. :hmm:

Picked up a matching set of used springs and replaced both sides. I thought I may have to start stacking leaves when I pulled the sagging driver spring and compared it to the used pack. Unloaded the sagging driver spring had more arch than what I was replacing it with. :hmm: Old sagging spring on the right.

Once installed with weight on it the replacement spring held up much better than the old sagging spring. Now both sides are within 1/4" of each other. :clapping:

Willy

• 1 month later...

Went wheeling Saturday and found a lot of snow. Put a dent in the passenger bed side. Also sunk it in the snow. It was buried over the axle tubes. After some digging, winching, and strapping we were able to make it out before I had to recall any Survivorman episodes. :rotf:

New dent. :doh:

Restroom break.

The tracks stopped here...and so did we.

More pics here.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Went from wheeling in several feet of snow a few weeks ago to a beautiful day in the 70s. There were only three of us so we were able to cover a lot of ground and had a great time.

More pics here.

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty gauges....... :drool:

The stock temperature gauge occasionally decides to work...and when it does it is far from accurate. I used a HO thermostat housing for the AutoMeter sensor and picked up an AutoMeter A pillar gauge pod. Now I know what the engine temperature is without popping the hood and checking with a laser thermometer. :roll:

I added two sensors for the transmission temperature - one before the coolers and one after. The toggle next to the gauge switches between the two.

Willy

Pretty gauges....... :drool:

I picked up an Auto-Meter A pillar gauge pod.

Willy

I was wondering how this would fit our MJ's!! can you post or provide link to more pics of this mount? Please?

Its something I really need to add as I do not trust my temp gauge.... :shake:

CW

I was wondering how this would fit our MJ's!! can you post or provide link to more pics of this mount? Please?

Here's one with the flash on.

What else are you interested in seeing? I can take some more pics.

Willy

What else are you interested in seeing? I can take some more pics.

Willy

Maybe some shots showing fitment to pillar. Then some side views, outside in views, pass side views anything you can think of for different angles. Thx man.

CW

Maybe some shots showing fitment to pillar. Then some side views, outside in views, pass side views anything you can think of for different angles. Thx man.

CW

I'll try to get some more pics tonight. The fitment is actually pretty good. It really follows the contours of the A pillar trim.

Willy

Apparently we did something to make it mad. :dunno:

The past couple of weeks I noticed that the tires were making a lot more road noise than usual. Turns out the toe was out a 1/2". :shake:

I thought it was interesting that the drag link decided to bend at the threads for the adjusting collar. I would have thought it would have been more likely at the bends where the steering stabilizer or tie rod mount. :hmm:

Willy

CW

A few more pics of the gauge pod.

Willy

Spent a beautiful weekend in the Liberty area. It was great to get away and spend the weekend in the mountains. Most of the trails we ran had just opened up on the 15th and were pretty overgrown. Ran across a few downed trees and a few patches of snow.

Came across a group of Land Rovers that didn't seem to have any idea what they were doing. A Range Rover broke a plastic idler pulley. WTF?! Seriously, a plastic idler puller?! :eek: The thing had actually melted in two! As they were trying to limp it down the trail it had overheated and spewed coolant everywhere. They had already been abandoned by the majority of the group they were wheeling with. :shake: I at least strapped him to a spot where one of the other Rovers could drag him back to camp. It made for a pretty amusing story. :yes:

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

We took off the week after the 4th to explore a couple of areas of WA and end up at the PNW4WDA's Trail Jamboree. Our destination for the weekend of the 4th was Omak, WA where we planned to explore the local mining history and ghost towns. Late Friday evening we were about 15 miles east of Omak when the water pump on our truck went out.

Image Not Found

After a couple of calls Dodge would cover towing the truck to the nearest dealer, but would not cover towing the trailer anywhere. :doh: I think we actually were kind of lucky that the tow company that took the truck actually had another vehicle that could tow a gooseneck trailer. After sitting on the side of the highway for a couple of hours - while the sheriff flew by us twice and finally decided to check if we were fine the third time - the tow truck came for our Dodge and their Duramax came for our trailer.

Image Not Found

Deb wouldn't take a picture of the previous hand gesture. :yes:

Image Not Found

The tow truck guys were all very cool and thankfully they were able to drop us off at the RV park where we were planning on staying. It just sucked to be out the $400 for the tow. :dunno:

Since all of this occurred on the Friday of a holiday weekend I knew it was going to be at least Monday morning before the Dodge dealer even had a chance to look at it - which also happened to be when we were planning on leaving for Trail Jamboree. When they did look at it they confirmed that it was the water pump, which they ordered, and arrived the next day around lunch time. They actually had it fixed pretty quickly and was ready for us to pick up around 4 PM.

After picking up the truck we packed up the trailer and made our way to Naches, WA for Trail Jamboree, a couple of days behind schedule. Since we were hosts we didn't really miss out on anything besides prerunning the trails, which our other club members took care of.

It actually could have been quite a bit worse. We had an extra vehicle to get around in so we weren't stuck at the RV Park. We weren't in a huge rush to get to our next destination. Plus the RV park wasn't full so they had the space for us to stay a couple of extra days.

We did end up finding some very cool mines in the area. As well as an abandoned narrow gauge railroad grade next to a waterfall. Unfortunately the MJ didn't like the 95+ degree weather and climbing long grades. Something that I am now working on.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

More pics here.

Willy