• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics of the doubler.

No problem. Let me know if there is anything else you want to see. I've got several more pics that may be helpful.

Is the rear case a 23 spline case?

Yes, but he makes shafts for the 21 spline transfer cases too. As well as some GM spline counts.

Willy

• 3 months later...

I've been working on the rock sliders in my spare time. Besides paint the passenger side is done. We are having a new roof installed so there isn't much money left at the moment. Hopefully after the roof I'll be able to pick up the tube for the driver side.

Willy

While waiting for materials for the driver side rock slider I decided I had enough material to at least get started on the rear bumper.

This is what the stock one looked like after the first wheeling trip.

The passenger side bracket. The driver side bracket looks pretty much the same.

I'll run gussets from the bumper clear up to just behind the cut out for the shackle hanger.

Willy

I'm using 2"x4"x3/16" rectangular tubing for the bumper.

A couple of in progress shots of tapering the end.

Test fitting the hole for the receiver tube.

End of last night's progress.

Willy

Up next is cleaning off all the rust. Then I'll start welding everything.

I'm also going to cut the lower rear quarter panels of the bed off. Then I'll run 2"x3" rectangular tubing from the bumper up to the rear tire. I'll also run a brace from the 2"x3" tubing to the front of the bumper bracket, probably in that open spot between the shackle hanger and large bolt on the front of the bumper bracket. Similar to what I did with my XJ.

Willy

I picked up some wire and finished welding up the tapers on the ends.

Even though I can almost guarantee I won't tow anything with this, I added a place to attach safety chains. If nothing else it helps support the receiver.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Also picked up the rest of the steel for the rear bumper and driver side rock slider.

The passenger side of the rear bumper tacked in place.

I had to modify the bumper mounting brackets and make the side support removable. I figured I probably would have to do something like this. There was just no way to get bumper on and off with the support tied into the mounting bracket. This is the passenger side support.

Still have some work to do on the driver's side. Then I'll pull everything off, finish welding, and paint it.

Willy

Last night's progress.

Passenger side.

Rear.

I filled the gap between the 2"x4" tube and body with some 1/8" plate.

Another view of the passenger side.

A couple of pics of the driver side support. This one from the rear.

From the front.

Willy

I also started working on winch placement. My wife doesn't want me to cut up the grill to fit the winch and I don't want it hanging a foot off the front, so it is going behind the front cross member.

It's up against the steering box on the driver side and clears the fan on the passenger side by maybe a quarter of an inch. At the very least I need to notch the fan shroud, but, after seeing what hornbrod did, I think the clutch fan will be removed for a second auxiliary fan.

One of the transmission cooler lines will also need rerouting. Sounds like a good time to add an auxiliary transmission cooler. :D

Willy