Finally found one...Now it has a new floor.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got the headliner recovered and reinstalled last night and a new tie rod end installed on the pitman side of the draglink. Also installed my lighted vanity mirrors and wired up a 12 accesory port in the bottom vent just below the ashtray (stole this idea from someone here and I love it). I don't have pics yet but am getting ready to go shoot some. Should have them up in a few hours. :cheers:

Edit: As promised here are the pics.

The new headliner.

2177404520045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Lighted Vanity mirror visors

2993342030045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

12V accessory port

12V accesory outlet.

2420630220045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

And as promised the illusive lip. That is the door key for my truck to give you a perspective on how minute the gap is. It is the same on both sides.

2158952950045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

2988984380045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

thats no nearly as big a gap as i though there would be, it looks as though if you had some good fab skills or didn't care about the prettiness of your truck you could round out the fenders to match.

Jonathan

I am gonna just flatten the header to match. If you look at the factory header panel the corner kinda tapers off anyways. so i am just gonna match the header panel to the fender.

I am gonna just flatten the header to match. If you look at the factory header panel the corner kinda tapers off anyways. so i am just gonna match the header panel to the fender.

I was going to go that route, but decided to just swap fenders too. Here is the latest pics from my 88 with fresh ss paint. Still needs cut and polish, but its getting there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I got alot done last night. I managed to get my carpet pulled up and started cleaning floors. Need to do some repairs. I am hoping to weld in new floors today. Gotta find my leaks first. My carpet pad was soaked and smelled like dirty feet. It is now hanging in the garage drying. Does anyone know how to dry the white heat sheild thingies in the plastic bags? I remember reading somewhere they were fiberglass but didn't know for sure. Once I get the leaks fixed and the floor repaired it will get a coat of POR and then a layer of bedliner for added protection. Followed by my pad and clean carpet. Taking the carpet to the carwash this afternoon.

Drivers side floor

2421537560045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Another drivers side

2375066180045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Passenger side

2019143580045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is my temp. floor pan to keep my foot goin thru the floor.

2267330340045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Which brings me to my next project. I gotta find a solution to the lower shifter boot. Mine is shredded and currently taped up with electrical tape to keep it from falling down on the trans. Anyone got any ideas on a replacement?

2101784130045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

2592167560045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok got an update. New floor is in and finished along with the TJ shift boot. The boot fit perfectly. We officially have a fix.

So here is what I started with.

2711166400045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Treated the rust with some rust inhibitor paint. Then I formed up a new floor out of 16ga. sheet. Doesn't look factory but my feet won't fall through any time soon. Here it is after a couple of coats of primer.

2759763550045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

2578970470045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

I bought a used TJ boot off ebay cheap after the suggestion was made on here in another thread that they worked. so I pulled my old shift boot and installed the TJ boot. Exact fit. I was very pleased we found a solution to the problem.

2030938200045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Then I reinstalled all of the now dry pad and carpet. Although in hindsight that was a mistake because I haven't found the leak that caused it to get wet yet. :doh: So sometime in the near future it will all come back out to allow me to diagnose the leak and repair it.

Yeah, it's uber important to find the leak that caused it. :thumbsup: Don't forget the baby powder trick for finding the leaks.

Thats what I planned on doing. Gotta get it fixed or it will just come back again.

Oh and BTW it is disgusting what comes out of 20+ yr old carpet when you pressure wash it.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, it's uber important to find the leak that caused it. :thumbsup: Don't forget the baby powder trick for finding the leaks.

Thats what I planned on doing. Gotta get it fixed or it will just come back again.

Oh and BTW it is disgusting what comes out of 20+ yr old carpet when you pressure wash it.

I ordered new carpet for my MJ a month or so ago from, http://www.stockinteriors.com/ and i got it pre-fitted, (had a little trimming i had to do), and it looks great! just in case your washing doesn't go to smoothly as planned.. lol

If I had the funding I probably would have just replaced my carpet. Since this is still my DD/wood truck I had a hard time justifying new carpet that I knew would end up just as nasty all over again. Most of my dirt came right out with a little help from the pressure washer. However it still has a few permanent stains. Overall I was very happy with the results.

If I had the funding I probably would have just replaced my carpet. Since this is still my DD/wood truck I had a hard time justifying new carpet that I knew would end up just as nasty all over again. Most of my dirt came right out with a little help from the pressure washer. However it still has a few permanent stains. Overall I was very happy with the results.

right on thats cool. mine had cigarette smell after many times of shampooing and stains and it was just starting to bug me lol. Glad it all worked out for ya.

right on thats cool. mine had cigarette smell after many times of shampooing and stains and it was just starting to bug me lol. Glad it all worked out for ya.

Pull it and pressure wash it. The cigarette smell will come out. But you won't get it out just shampooing.

• 8 months later...

Time for a much needed update. I have moved, and that and some medical problems have slowed down my progress but the 4x4 swap WAS finished with the exception of a tcase linkage and I need to take 3" out of the front driveshaft. However in the middle of the move the AX-15 locked itself in neutral. :mad: So now its sitting in the driveway as I finish up the rebuild on the trans. I got the D44 swapped in. I have also aquired a $25 plastic toolbox for the bed and a trailer for hauling the firewood in so I don't tear up the bed any worse or risk a broken window. CB has been installed along with a 4' firestick on a custom mount on the toolbox. I don't have any pics to go with it as I forgot to take any.... Hoping to get the trans back together and have it back on the road this weekend. I will try to snap a few pics along the way.