Making XJ buckets work in a MJ

For the Comanche owners that have bench seats and would like buckets, or the buckets you have need replaced, here's a fairly easy solution. Find a good set of XJ buckets, preferably from a two door XJ so that you have the tilt forward back. This is not necessary but will make getting behind the seat a lot easier.
Your seating height will depend on which type of XJ buckets you select. The rocket slider XJ buckets will sit a couple of inches higher than the straight sliders. Here's just one link of many on the topic. Comanche Club Link

First you need a pair of MJ brackets. If you have a bench seat or if you have buckets, either will work. I had a set I found in the JY but these would have worked as well. (Note: You will need to use some of the steps listed below to remove the MJ bench brackets)

35866323295_0c51857c59_z.jpg

Next you need to separate the XJ seat from the bracket. This will require a cross tip screwdriver and a 13mm wrench or socket. There are two cross tip screws that hold the clip for the tilt catch lever (on 2dr XJ seats only).

35866322995_7a24e07f14_z.jpg

Once that is removed you will need to un-hook the rod holding the seat cover by gentle pulling up in the center of it until you can get one side out.

35866323045_2df57a73ff_b.jpg

Then slip the other side out and lift it out of the way. This will allow you to get to the clasp under it. Just un-hook that as well to free the cushion from the back.

35866323095_d69167c20d_b.jpg

Now using the 13mm wrench, take off the two bolts on the front of the bottom cushion.

35866323505_e69a9bfe90_b.jpg

and the two bolts on the back of the bottom cushion.

35825590036_0dec747e73_b.jpg

This will separate the bottom cushion from the frame and give you access to the 4 bolts/nuts that hold the seat back to the bracket.

35866323145_f65e419fce_b.jpg

Now that you have the bracket separated from the seat, carefully un-hook the two springs. You will need to drill out the steel studs to separate the sliding rails from the brackets. There are two on the front

35866323165_d5c1949cb6_b.jpg

and four on the back

35825590176_d59eb48b70_b.jpg

I put the bracket in a bench vise to make this easier to control.

35866323215_60bb84e834_b.jpg

Using a center punch, I made a starting point for the drill bit to bite as close to the center as possible.

35825590216_2ec018d7a9_z.jpg

Using a 19/64 drill bit, slowly drill out the stud. A nice sharp bit is recommended. (Drill bit size is only a recommendation. I pick what I did because it was just a bit smaller then the stud head which would be about the size of the actual hole in the rail.)

35866323245_dac8fac427_b.jpg

Also on the front of the XJ bracket, there are a couple of pinch welds. I used a 3/16 bit to drill through those. You may or may not have to go all the way through the rail. These are easier to get to if you flip the bracket upright.

35866323485_b7ab740355_z.jpg

On the two studs toward the middle on the back, you can drill them out and hope to fish them out of the rail, or you can separate the rail pieces by pushing it over as far as you can to one side. Then use a small blade flat head screwdriver to gentle pull out the rail carriage assembly.(This has two small ball bearing, so be watchful that you don't drop them as well as a roller in the center.)

35825590456_29b20d9003_b.jpg
35866323415_d885184e69_z.jpg

Slide the rail back the other way and repeat steps to get the other assembly out. Now you can get to the center stud.

35866323385_8631778401_b.jpg

Re-assemble the rail. It's kind of like putting a draw back in on rails. Once you slide it on, it will reset the stops.
Now that you have the brackets separated from the rails, you can put the MJ brackets on using regular nuts and bolts (This is assuming that you have removed your MJ brackets. If not, use the steps that apply from above to remove them.) I had an assorted pack of machine screws that had small rounded tops, a lock washer, and nut. Be sure that what ever you use does not interfere with the slide operation and that the nut is on the bottom side. In this pic you can see three of them. I also should have used the XJ center piece to help support and keep the rails in line.

35825590306_d5b739d94a_b.jpg

Here's a test fit. Like a glove. biggrin.png

35866323335_e946dc9ea7_b.jpg

I will be taking the brackets back off to blast and paint. At that point, I'll add the center piece and when putting the bolts back in, I'll use locktite on them so as not to get a surprise one day when adjusting the seat.
Putting the cushions back on is just the reverse of taking them off.

I'll update some of the fuzzy pictures when I do the passenger side one and show the seats installed when I get the rest of the interior in.

:cheers:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

same way I do it. but...

if you can slide the rail out, why not just disassemble both slide rails, and simply slide the comanche one in...seems like a no-weld method would be the way to go..

think that would work? I've never attempted to get those apart.

The studs on the ends won't allow the rails to come off. You would still have to drill those. Plus if your using bench seat brackets you only have one rail per side, however if you had bucket brackets and the rails were good, you would only need to move the cushions. That is unless the MJ buckets cushions have different mounting holes. :dunno:

Will have to play with the next one to see what I can come up with.

Just went out and looked, you may be on to something. The flat rails look the same. I've got a set of rockers that I'll check out too. May have to do some editing. :D

Excellent wrietup mfpdm, great pics too. That's exactly what I did on mine.

The only thing I would do differently would be to definately use a set of 2 door XJ buckets to get the tilt feature.......I used 4-dr ones becuase they were the only ones I could find in black to match the rest of my interior. It's not "inconvenient" to get stuff in/out from behind the seats, it's a PITA!

Jeff

Since the XJ/MJ were created during the Renault days and have the Renault 'pedestal seats', can anybody confirm that Alliance seats are the same but with different floor mounting brackets. That sure would increase the number of 2 door seats. By a factor of 2. No not 2 times, by 2!

The next question. Does anybody know where the Alliances went? Maybe we can import seats from France.

Excellent wrietup mfpdm, great pics too. That's exactly what I did on mine.

The only thing I would do differently would be to definately use a set of 2 door XJ buckets to get the tilt feature.......I used 4-dr ones becuase they were the only ones I could find in black to match the rest of my interior. It's not "inconvenient" to get stuff in/out from behind the seats, it's a PITA!

Jeff

Thanks. I can't take alot of credit. I got most the info from here and there. Just thought I'd add pics to help out.

That one was a 2dr and I'm pretty sure we'll use them instead of the rockers.

I'll give you first dibs on the next set of black 2dr buckets I come across. Pat got the last 2 sets from me so I don't think he'll want another set.

offroader461 you just used the mj bench floor brackets and bolted them up to xj buckets? That sounds like the way to go. I have a bench in my

mj and bought some mj buckets but may want to get xj's instead. Thanks everyone for the info

offroader461 you just used the mj bench floor brackets and bolted them up to xj buckets? That sounds like the way to go. I have a bench in my

mj and bought some mj buckets but may want to get xj's instead. Thanks everyone for the info

• 2 weeks later...

Never thought of that!

My sister had a Alliance convertible and we did have to replace the seats. Of course this was when my DD was a YJ and I had very little clue what a MJ was... so I really can't say for sure. But now that you made me think of it... there are VERY VERY VERY similar.

Can't confirm or deny the fitment issue. As I do believe that little black beast ended up in a JY somewhere after she trade it in.

God Bless,

Ben @ Loco4WD.com

Since the XJ/MJ were created during the Renault days and have the Renault 'pedestal seats', can anybody confirm that Alliance seats are the same but with different floor mounting brackets. That sure would increase the number of 2 door seats. By a factor of 2. No not 2 times, by 2!

The next question. Does anybody know where the Alliances went? Maybe we can import seats from France.

yup thats all i did....removed the MJ pedistals and did the same on the XJ seats and just swapped them...easy as pie

I put 2 door XJ buckets into my MJ. I just made a new "platform" on the MJ floor that lined up with the mounting holes on the XJ seats. I then welded bolts upside down on the new "platofrm" and dropped the XJ seat frame onto them and tightened them down.

I am trying to take the front driver bracket off the MJ bench and buckets so I can swap them (bucket bracket badly rusted) I can't seem to get them apart. I drilled out the stud but no luck. Is there anything else holding it on?

yes, there's a tiny tack weld on each as well, behind the rivets. Look for a tiny little dimple behind where you drilled and you'll see it. Take a thin chisel or a screwdriver that you're not too fond of and pound inbetween to pop each one.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

hey. i wanted to say everyone who wrote explaining bout how to install xj buckets into our mj. thanks alot. i learned alot by reading all the replys. it was very easy when i read about it here. thanks again everyone. its kool to know that there are helping people out there to help other. thanks.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have also done the MJ bench brackets on the XJ seat swap in an 87 MJ. I used the curved tracks and found them to sit just a little higher than the MJ buckets. I drilled the rivet holes out so I could use grade 8 bolts hoping the head would hold in the track. It didn't but I wedged a screwdriver in between the track and head an was able to tighten them up. Just make sure the bolts are short enough to clear the slide. Then I tack welded the other end of the bracket to the track.I replaced the bench in my 91 MJ Pioneer with buckets from another MJ (got lucky the first time) Havent drove the 87 yet to find out wich setup I prefere. As far as seats go I from the ones I"ve worked on they have been the same four bolt pattern that holds them to the tracks up untill the 95 seats wich mount to the floor differently.

• 3 weeks later...
i was thinkin sbout putting like leather 97 ford explorer seats in mine
Might be too wide to fit between the door and the center console. A tape measure should answer that though. 8)

I put a set of '98 Explorer (cloth) seats in my MJ. They are a bit wider and tight but they will fit in there. Actually mounted to the MJ frame/slider, IIRC I made a couple of spacers from 1/2 inch bar stock to adapt them in. Not hard at all.

• 4 weeks later...