Drahcir495's Build-up

Wingtime made good on his promise! I showed up at the shop today and he fixed my broken shifter 8) .

Couple of shot of the jeep @ the shop ->

I ground down the old threads that were left over and set down some protective cover ->

I cut off the top of the new bolt then grab it with the vice grips so I could set it into place ->

Wingtime ready at the helm ->

And the piece was welded in without a single hole in the upholstery ->

I screw on the new shifter knob and secured it with the lock nut ->

Wingtime had a few projects going on down there. A sweet FC150 just waiting for a mild lift and 33 inchers ->

OJMG87’s nineteen eighty seven YJ {original owner} with a new Chevy RamJet 350 crate motor, B&M 350 trans, f&r Currie 9 inchers, 33 inch BFG’s, and the list of goodies goes on ->

Thanks Wingtime for welding the shifter and grillin-up the grub.

:cheers: - Rich

Where did you get the hood for your comanche?

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impact,

I got the Reflexxion Steel Cowl Induction hood from a local dealer. You can get them out of the Quadratec catalogue too. I know of one member on here who got one used :clapping: . Check out this guys build - it's awesome :drool: -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4826

Try to get it local (avoid freight), or used if you can - they are pricey. - Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah :banana: , I had Friday off. I spent the day working on my rear bumper. I drilled a hole in the swing out tire carrier. Now I can lock down the Hi-Lift jack ->

Locked up ->

I also needed to get the bumper supports mounted up and bolted in. I had to drill and tap two new holes in the rear ->

I got to use my right angle drill for the first time ->

The new bolt in place ->

I got the supports in and used a come-a-long to get the bumper to fit snugly in place ->

The bumper fits perfectly. Now I just need to send it off to get powder coated!

I have the same drill and it's frickin' sweet! :D I have the sawzall and the normal drill too. The right-angle and saw both fit neatly in a toolbox for when I hit the junkyards. Makes life soooooo much easier. :clapping:

I have the same drill and it's frickin' sweet! :D I have the sawzall and the normal drill too. The right-angle and saw both fit neatly in a toolbox for when I hit the junkyards. Makes life soooooo much easier. :clapping:

Same here :cheers: . I was shocked at how well it worked. I would have been screwed with out it. - Rich

I have yet to hear of anyone trying to use the stock spare location under the bed for a larger (33") tire? I decided to try it out today and the fricking thing fits - well %7BSMILIES_PATH%7D%5C/jamminz.gif . Sure it hangs down a bit, but I could get a 33" pizza cutter to stay up there permanently and keep the 33x13x15 on the swing out carrier.

/uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/e69e395804a22c6daad58ad82c64dcb7.jpg

/uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/5e6fe9579f94038ec32c0e60c9b10155.jpg

/uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/cacb79b020d76eef54380bce236eb9ae.jpg

why do you want a spare underneath if you have that nice rear bumper/tire carrier?

Curiosity is what got the whole thing started. I was just weighing out all of my options. I haven't decided if I am going to use the swing out tire carrier on it all the time since it is driven mostly on the highway. Maybe just for 4wheel excursions? That is why I may put a 33" pizza cutter spare up there.

• 3 weeks later...

I called around on pricing to have the rear bumper powder coated. I was thinking if I could get it for around 100 bucks, I could not pass it up :brows: . At that price I would rather have it professionally coated then try and paint it myself. I got a quote from a guy in my business park - $250. Dang that seemed expensive, but I am a cheap guy. Called a place I used 6 years ago - $330 :fs1: ! At this point I am pretty certain I would have to paint it myself until Wingtime suggested I call a place around the corner from him. Buddy you came through again! I described the two pieces of the bumper and she said $75.00!!!! Oooh yeah :banana: ! I brought it down to DPS Powder Coating last week and this Tuesday it was ready. It looks great. I just got the bumper mounted tonight with some grade 8 hardware, but it is too dark out to get some quality pictures. I will get plenty of pictures posted this weekend of it in place. Here are a few pictures of the bumper after the powder coating but not installed ->

/uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/0152d30298755bd0dbd12f17ee4b0e4b.jpg

/uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/61b49cd0937546eaff16d2dc71b378de.jpg

/uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/2f18ae27099cb43ba53743cedcc9aa88.jpg

Swing out tire carrier -> /uploads/archive/d1d1f007ff2e0e0e850829beea2fff7b/21defefb962b978d3948c19c58dd5a00.jpg

TBC

I was able to get the bumper on this week. I just think it is awesome. I made a license plate holder out of 2" receiver hitch & steel - it looks pretty good. The swing out tire carrier is amazing. I have decided to use it only when I am going camping or trail riding. I am not able to see who is coming up behind me (in the rear view mirror) with that big 33 inch tire on there - it looks tough on it though. I am going to use the hole for the swing arm bolt for my cb antenna. Here are a few shots ->

I figured out what I could do with the empty hole now that I will only occasionally be using the swing out tire carrier – a CB antenna location.

Stopped by Radio Shack and picked up a CB antenna mount ->

It fit in the hole like a glove ->

Slapped a coat of paint on it ->

The upper mount adds a bit of protection also ->

The spot could be used for an ORV park flag as well.

I took this opportunity to paint up the license place bracket ->

. . . and to turn it 180 degrees to provide a bit more clearance and protection ->

I couldn’t ask for a better fit & I was able to do it without re-welding ->

Nice rig, bumper is sweet but imo the tire swing arm would look better if it were closer to the tailgate.

I agree 100% - but with this designed you would be able to place jerry cans and supplies back there.

Thats a VERY NICE and super CLEAN bumper and swing mount!!! One of the very nicest I have seen, congratulations!!

The truck looks good as well, nice job!!

CW

Thank you CW. The bumper is more than I could have hoped for. Protofab did an amazing job designing this bumper. I just need to get on Mike's arse about completing the rock rails :brows: .

Merry Christmas everyone :typing: !

I have tweak and tightened the tilt mechanisms a few times to get them to work properly. Today I finally had enough of trying to no avail, to get behind my seats :fs1: . I grabbed some wire and a metal sleeve and made a handle, so I can manually override the %$@*&$# tilt lever. ->

Installed ->

I am going to use this as a temporary fix until I can come up with something better. It will probably end up being the only fix :yes: . It works great.

I used the same overflow bottle from Napa that Chico used on his project here -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10762&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 .

And Just like Chico’s, “the nipple on the bottom of the plastic overflow tank that I put by the air filter didn't even have a hole in it” and I had to drill mine out too.

I had to remove the air box to mark and drill the holes for the new bottle. ->

I had to move and extend a few wires to make room for the tank. I was also not able to use one of the clips that secure the top of the air cleaner box, so I just removed it. I started the return line from the bottle and snaked it around the bolts underneath the air box ->

Se can see the new location of the emissions pieces in this picture. I trimmed a few of the vacuum line to clean it up and get it back into place. I then ran it by the clutch reservoir ->

and long the back firewall ->

And finally connected it to the Macs aluminum over flow tank ->

I also put on the relay cover I picked up some time ago at the P&P to finish it all up ->

And using a fram....... :no:

:dunno: what? The oil filter . . . why?

Because of their high rate of failing. Just do a simple "fram" search, you'll see.. To many people have had bad things happen because of that low end filter. Read somewhere here that our engines are a carbon engine, meaning they don't burn up alot of the carbon when combustion happens. All that crap gets circulated through your engine, the only defense is the oil filter. Fram is a crap filter.. I run NAPA Gold or Puralator on all my engines..

>>>JUST SEE FOR YOURSELF<<<

here's a good writeup too...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Nice work on the cooling system mods Rich :cheers:

Yes...you are risking the life of your engine using FRAM :eek: . They have issue with internal collapse and shutting off oil flow and destroying engines that has been documented on many websites including this one.

And using a fram....... :no:

:dunno: what? The oil filter . . . why?

Because of their high rate of failing. Just do a simple "fram" search, you'll see.. To many people have had bad things happen because of that low end filter. Read somewhere here that our engines are a carbon engine, meaning they don't burn up alot of the carbon when combustion happens. All that crap gets circulated through your engine, the only defense is the oil filter. Fram is a crap filter.. I run NAPA Gold or Puralator on all my engines..

>>>JUST SEE FOR YOURSELF<<<

here's a good writeup too...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

But it has the non-slip grip - it has to be good :doh: .

Now all that fancy jockeying for space, creative hose routing, and good old fashion Jeep engineering and all you guys could say is "ooh look at that Frame filter :shake:.

- :yes: Nice write-up and thanks for the heads up! I am going to Napa today and picking up their Gold filter. Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

Now all that fancy jockeying for space, creative hose routing, and good old fashion Jeep engineering and all you guys could say is "ooh look at that Frame filter :shake:.

That's what friends are for Rich... Friends don't let friends use FRAM... jamminz.gif :rotf:

That's what friends are for Rich... Friends don't let friends use FRAM... jamminz.gif :rotf:

:rotf: :rotfl2: - Thanks image_209027.gif

• Drahcir495 changed the title to Drahcir495's Build-up