Drahcir495's Build-up

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

were did you get that brush gaurd that thing looks sweet jamminz.gif can't wait to see that thing lifted

I can't wait either!

I have been trying to find out where it came from originally. I believe it was from Quadratec, or the 4WD Hardware cataloge? It was a two piece kit; brush guard with optional light guards. As soon as I do find out, I will let you know - :cheers:

5-26-08 The company is Smittybilt, and it is their on-piece Bumper Thumper part# 35207. The additional Brush Guards are part# 35208. Hope that helps - Rich

was that an old trail 70 honda i saw in the one picture?

I believe it is! There is a Trail 90 in some of my pix!

Yep :D, It is an 1980 Honda Trail 70.

MF, I just looked through your build-up pages again. I can't find the Trail 90? Try to sneak another picture of it in jamminz.gif Thanks, Rich

Is that a Hutch Trickstar I see? WOW I haven't seen one of those Wilson's!

I sure wish I still had my GJS! :bowdown:

Yes it is :D!

Sad to hear about the GJS, but you could borrow my SE Quadangle the next time we head out to the skate park :cheers:. - Rich

Holy god that interior is awesome!!! The visors especially!!!

Two questions

Are there indented locations for the center console brackets? Ive gotten contradicting answers.

What should I do with my visors? I got the short ones now too, since I added an OHC. I really don't want to cut and add the piece you did, although that is the best way...

Terrific MJ, keep up the work! And keep posting those pics!

Holy god that interior is awesome!!! The visors especially!!!

Two questions

Are there indented locations for the center console brackets? Ive gotten contradicting answers.

What should I do with my visors? I got the short ones now too, since I added an OHC. I really don't want to cut and add the piece you did, although that is the best way...

Terrific MJ, keep up the work! And keep posting those pics!

Thanks a lot 88xjsport! It is always nice to hear :cheers:

On the indents for the center console brackets - yes, mine had the indents. I drilled a small hole, then I use some sheet metal screws to hold them in. If you find out that you do not, just attach the brackets to the console and use that as a template for the new holes. Mine were definately there, but I still lined it up to make sure.

As far as the visors go - I was going to use spacers under the clips until I located the steel piece. Maybe try using some aluminium to space it out? Only real suggestion I can make here is to be careful not to drill/screw through the roof. Sorry man, I just can't come up with any thing good on this one :roll: . Maybe somebody else has something better in mind? - Rich

Sad to hear about the GJS, but you could borrow my SE Quadangle the next time we head out to the skate park :cheers:. - Rich

Sounds great but I have to check and see if my health insurance will cover me if I fall on my fat A#$!

:eek:

Cool junk yard tip number two - I noticed that the front disc brake bleeder valves on some of the JY XJs had rubber covers. I grabbed a bunch while I was there ->

They make awesome Zerk fitting covers ->

Cleaned them up after the picture ;) I have them on all my Zerk fittings now :D - Rich

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed what I feel is one of the coolest mods that has ever worked out for me jamminz.gif .

I was debating on where to place my CB. I started thinking about placing it inside the center console, or where the parking brake handle should be (mine has the parking brake up in the DS foot well). Then I figured with a bit of jerry rigging, it may be able to fit it up in the tray of the center console. I removed the XJ air diffuser box and slid the CB right in. I had to remove a small support tab in the back of the box so that there would be room for the antenna cable to hook up. I also cut the box so the CB would sit flush up against the top of the box ->

I also had to decide on how I was going to support the CB in the air diffuser box. I remembered that I had some of the Velcro pieces left over from my headliner install and decided that that would work fine. I contact cemented two pieces in the air diffuser box->

And two of the opposing Velcro pieces to the CB itself ->

After I let the Velcro strips dry overnight, the CB was securely fastened inside the air diffuser box ->

Now I had to work on the center console coin tray. I quadruple checked the dimensions on the CB, and then transferred the measurements onto the plastic. I quadruple checked these to make sure that I would only have to cut once ->

Satisfied with the measurements; I cut out the unwanted plastic. I cut a tad under the marks to make up for any angles in the cuts, unsteady hands, etc. And it much easier to take a little of the plastic off with a file if need be, then to have taken too much off and have no options to correct it. This is the ugly side you will never see ->

I realize that I will not be able to hear anything out of the internal CB speaker, so I decided to mount an external speaker on the back of the center console like this ->

I got everything back together and found it is damn near a perfect fit. I may take a bit off the top to allow for more visibility of the display. Other than that, everything fits and can be switched/turned on and off. It just needs to be cleaned up now.

Drum rolls please->

I just finished it up about an hour ago. The picture could be better but that is what you get for 9 o’clock in a dark garage.

Cool!

I'm currently working on modifying the radio antenna bracket in the ps fender to mound my CB antenna there. If I ever put a new radio antenna on, I'll stick it in the ds wheel well, just to be different.

Thanks guys. I have no idea where I am going to put the antenna yet. Make sure you post pictures of your CB antenna mounting spot mvusse. I did install the P.A. speaker in the front. I will have to get a picture of that in here. - :cheers: Rich

• 2 weeks later...

The interior of the Comanche is getting wet when it rains. I have narrowed the leaks down to the rear window and the top of the doors. I adjusted the door in a little to try and correct the problem. It seemed to work, but I am still not satisfied. I was going to order a new set of door seals until I read an article online about using the newer XJ door seals. Today at the Pick-N-Pull, I found a 1998 XJ and grabbed the seals off of it. Even if they were going to be the same style they were going to be close to a decade newer than what I already have. I got them home and compared the 1998 door seals to the 1989 seals. There is some difference in thickness and shape, but they look like they are going to be an exact fit jamminz.gif .

The 1998 is on the left ->

And in this picture the newer seal is on the bottom ->

Here is the old seal on the driver’s side ->

And then after installing the newer style seal ->

Then I did the same thing with the passenger side. Old seal ->

During the switch over ->

Then with the passenger side complete ->

The newer seals are ten fold better than the originals. I think a part of the improvement could be because the original seals were close to 20 years old, and these are under 10. But the new design and bulk of the seals make the doors water tight. The doors take a bit more effort to close them now, which is alright by me! I still have to give them the water test when I am able to get her back on four wheels, but I am not concerned at all about leaking in these areas. - Rich

What's the difference between "new " seals you read about and 98 seals?
Good question? I would think that the replacement seals would be what was available for that year; just new? In my opinion, the newer (98.) seals are better designed. IIRC we have a member who works for a Jeep Dealership's parts department . I am pretty sure his screen name is BLHTAZ. I would PM him and ask - he has always seemed eager to help out others on this forum. Edit: I would also post this question in Tech - we have a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum. - Rich

Sorry for the hi-jack but figured I'd just post here in response to the seals. The 97+ seals are larger; as I'm assuming that the door themselves are a tad different on the 97+ XJ's when they changed the body lines just a tad.

Here is a pic of the difference in the seals.

DoorSeal05_sm.jpg

(left is 97+ seal; right is older seal)

And for ref. here are the part numbers.

5517 6146 Front Door, WEATHERSEAL, Full Door to body, 2-door XJ 1997, 1998

5517 6148 Front Door, WEATHERSEAL, Full Door to body, 4-door XJ 1997, 1998

55176 148AB Front Door, WEATHERSEAL, Full Door to body, 4-door XJ 1999

55176 148AC Front Door, WEATHERSEAL, Full Door to body, 4-door XJ 2000

I have NO CLUE why their are different part numbers among the years...

ok for a minute I thought you were saying that the article said newer xj seals would not work ...I heard that it was an upgrade on madjx or somewhere , now I see you were just confirming that.

It figures to me , my 96 xj is loud as heck w/wind blowing in the door jam , much louder than my 00 xj .As I am restoring the MJ i was really hoping I can use the newer seals. Thanks for the info -ANDY

Had a few hours to work on the Comanche this weekend, so I work on a couple of accessories. I installed the PA speaker for my CB ->

I figured this was the best spot; I need to make sure that there will be room to try and fit some air horns somewhere under there too. I wanted to have a quick disconnection point for accessories like a winch, jumper cables, etc. I ordered Plug-to-Lug cable {http://www.quickcable.com} to permanently mount to the front tow plate with a cover to protect the industrial battery connector. I went with 2 Gauge, 175 amp cable that was 5 feet long to be make sure it could make it to the battery. I found a spot that would be easy to access and would provide the least obstructed path to the battery. I mounted it next to the shackle bracket on the tow plate to provide maximum protection. I did not have any 1/4 -20 nuts for the stainless steel bolts I had, so I just ended up tapping out some holes in the 1/4 inch tow plate for the 1/4-20 bolts (ooh, sneak peak of the RE lift)->

I made up two spacers, and secured it using the SS bolts ->

Here is the connector with the protective cover on ->

I also bought a 25 foot Clamp-to-Plug cable, for jump starting any other stalled vehicles. Again, I went used the 2 Gauge Cable & industrial battery connector, but with 500 amp rating.

The jumper cables connected to the quick connector ->

While I was placing the cable order, I picked up an extra industrial battery connector in anticipation of a possible future winch? I also picked up a few marine battery terminals and protectors ->

I still need to work on tucking the cable out of harms way, but that won’t be an issue. I can’t wait to try it out - Rich

• Drahcir495 changed the title to Drahcir495's Build-up