Drahcir495's Build-up

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, they're nice wheels dude. They look a bit much by themselves, but I bet when you get a pic of them on the truck, they will look awesome, especially with the MTs, great looking tire.

They do look better with the tires on them, thanks Wahoo ;)

Great Job so far Rich. :cheers:

Those wheels are sweet. We are thinking about putting the same ones on Tina's YJ ;) .

Thanks BLHTAZ :cheers: .

You need to check out the new options for the wheels. They have anodized colored lock rings. And they offer a sweet looking black powder coated version. My wife loves the look, so it could be an easy sell to Tina :brows:

I was just looking at the Walker Evans site and was disappointed to see that I can't get them in 15"...only 17" :cry: . I just don't care for the look of the larger wheels.

It also took me a while to get over that fact too. After I realized that the wifes Honda had 17'' wheels stock, I knew I could get used to it. It may have something to do with size of the lock ring, but they do not have that DUB look. They do offer a 15'' in the beadlock wheels, if you are feeling adventurous :brows:

I found a steel hoop popping through the back panel. I think it is for the jack arm :dunno:, am I going to need this? I just purchased a High-lift jack, so I will not be using the stock jack. I figured I shouldn't let that piece go un-used :brows: I cut out a 1'' section of left over radio mounting hardware, picked out a few SS screws and nuts, and one of the Mag-lite clips like this ->

I mounted the steel behind the loop braket and secured the clip with the screws and lock nuts {the bolts line up on either side of the loop and straddle it}.

If anyone thiks that the support is vital to something I am missing, I can easily remove it. It is very secure, even with the one clip. I think it looks pretty slick ->

Wow, Happy Effin New Year. Man if that doesn't get you excited..... :bowdown:

Happy New Year, Nah. I think it is more like the luck of the Irish :D . I am very excited about it. I just have to wait for the front 44 to be finished. I don't want to put the kit on twice, but I am not sure I can hold out :brows:

thats a perdy lift!!

nice and shiney! :cheers:

It sure is! It won't stay purdy for long. Going to try to get out to Tellico this year.

You can always start on the back, maybe the 44 will be done before then :D

Won't I need to have the front lifted before the spring purches can be welded on at the correct angle? If not, I will get to work on that jamminz.gif I guess I should get started on reading the instructions.

I found a few packages at the door when I got home today :brows:.

I got in a new set of locks from Contico to replace the rusted out ones already in the truck bed box->

Shipping was almost as much as the new locks, but it was still under 15 bucks 8)

As you can tell from the picture above, I got in my rear RockCrusher 44 diff. cover ->

The cover is just at .5 of an inch thick at the mounting base ->

I wasn't able to get the steel version like I have for the front, but this new Aluminium one will do fine for the rear. -Rich

3/12/08 - Painted the F&R RockCrusher's like this ->

Today I offered bwatsoncj a large Coke with ice to assemble my front 44. He said he wasn't available until I offered to sweeten the deal with a Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Bagle from Micky-D's :D

Got up early and grabbed my gears and locker, and met him down at the shop.

Eaton E-locker and 4:56 gears ->

We pulled a new Rubicon LP44 off the rack, and then we {bwatsoncj} started to set it up ->

Bwatsoncj decided that we should first drill out the 29/64" hole for the wire grommet to avoid contaminating the differential. Not hard to choose the location on the housing: the hole for the factory Rubi locker. We looked for 15 minutes for the right size drill bit with no success. I went to the hardware store and picked up a new 29/64th drill bit only to find it was too long :headpop: . No problem, the master mechanic just cut down the bit to size. Then he reduced the diameter of the end, to fit the right-angle drill, on the metal lathe. That was pretty cool, but it took 3 times longer to reduce the bit than the actual building of the axle :roll:

Completed hole ->

Installed pinion ->

Setting the locker in ->

Nice pattern ->

Not a very nice picture of bwatsoncj sealing the axle up :oops: ->

And completed ->

It just needs the shafts put in, knuckles installed, and a coat of paint on the cover.

This is a simplified description of how bwatsoncj set up the axle. There was a few shims/spacer things involved. A two tear down/ build-ups to get the backlash and $#!&e correct. I was lost most of the time, and no real help :popcorn: . Spent most of the time trying to pick my favorite Snap-On calendar girl :D .

Thanks Bwatsoncj!

wow... I really like that Rock Crusher diff gaurd! I am looking forward to seeing this project put together :D

Let me know about that E-locker when you get to test it out. I have heard opinions both for them and against them. I would like to get more feed back before investing in one. thanks

wow... I really like that Rock Crusher diff gaurd! I am looking forward to seeing this project put together :D

Let me know about that E-locker when you get to test it out. I have heard opinions both for them and against them. I would like to get more feed back before investing in one. thanks

I like the RC cover too. The front steel one is a beast.

I have yet to hear, or read, a bad word about the Eaton E-lockers? They sometimes get confused with the ECTED & the ELECTRAC. I spent hours on NAXJA and the internet trying to find a negative review on these. Maybe you have read something new on them? Let me know - actually it is too late, so please don't ;) .

I will keep this thread updated on how they perform :cheers: - Rich

Now that I have my front axle ready to go in, I started taking apart the front end on the MJ. Got the jeep lifted, set the frame down on a few cinder blocks ;). I got the tires removed, then I sat for a few minutes to plan in what order would the parts be removed. I decided the I would remove the sway bar disconnects first. Grabbed a 15mm socket and busted the driverside off; easy. The passenger side unbolted with a little effort; sweet. The sway bar was still connected to the disconnect, no big deal. I grabbed the bar and lifted up on it. It popped out and I caught my knuckle on the bumper bracket :eek: . Barely touched the bracket and I was able to see into the space between my bone and skin. By the time I got to the camera the cool gap had filled with blood :cry:. Picture ->

Warning: kind of graphic ->

My fingers are clenched and distorted because it flipping hurt :roll: Lol, that is just a strange picture.

I took the rest of the night off. It could have used a stitch or two, but I just bandaged it up myself. I am going to get a Tetanus shot this week though. -Rich

Where did you find a RockCrusher diff cover at? They haven't been made since late 2006.

October 2006

For Immediate Release: Rockcrusher Manufacturing, LLC, Now Known As Solid Axle Industries, LLC, And Rock Solid Products, Pty Ltd, Form New Trade Name.

Rockcrusher Manufacturing, LLC, now known as Solid Axle Industries, LLC, of North Jackson, Ohio, and Rock Solid Products, Pty Ltd, of Melbourne, Australia, announce that they have finalized an agreement effectively uniting the two companies under the trade name of Solid Axle Industries ™ .

The companies have changed their names to reflect this new relationship. Solid Axle Industries, LLC (formerly Rockcrusher Manufacturing, LLC) will operate out of their Ohio location, and serve the Americas , Western Europe, and Africa. Solid Axle Industries, Pty Ltd (formerly Rock Solid Products, Pty Ltd) will operate out of their Melbourne location, and serve Asia/Pacific, and Eastern Europe . This will ensure a consistent supply of, and support for, Solid Axle products in key markets throughout the world.

The two companies own all of the original engineering designs, and patterns for their products, which will be branded with the new SOLID™ logo. The affiliation was effective October 26, 2006.

Matt Martin, Operations Manager for Solid Axle Industries, LLC says “the energy level within the two organizations is at an all time high, and you’re going to see some exciting developments going forward”.

John Boydston, President of Solid Axle Industries, LLC, and Danny Milton, Managing Director of Solid Axle Industries, Pty Ltd. agree that the move will bring the highest level of confidence in Solid Axle products from our dealers and customers.

“Our primary objective is to focus on the quality of our products, and the name associated with them, Solid Axle Industries™” said Boydston. For more information go to our web site www.solidaxle.com, or call 1-888-290-AXLE.

EDIT: Nevermind I guess. http://www.rockcrusherdiffs.com I thought that Solid discontinued the line fully. I guess I was wrong...

Rich,

It seems to be the ongoing legal battle that never ends between Solid and RockCrusher. I don't think anyone knows whats going on between them anymore. You hear a different story everytime you talk to someone. Website's show different address' but the zipcode is only 1 digit off meaning to me that they are located next door to eachother...

Last I knew is what I posted above and I thought RockCrusher was a thing of the past. Than I read your post and see you got a new RockCrusher cover and am like WTF!. So I look into it a bit more and become even more confused.

Oh well the general public will probably never know the truth behind it all. Glad you got a new alumn. one. Let us know how you end up liking it compared to the steel one.

I was planning on getting the Rugged Ridge steering linkage assembly, but I think they are out of stock until May? I decided I should look into getting the ZJ tie rod again, and upgrading to the newer drag link at the same time. After pricing it all out; it looked like I would be spending way over $200 for all new parts. I figured I would see what was available at the Pick-N-Pull. I hit the jackpot at the Pick-N-Pull on Saturday. jamminz.gif . They had a few ZJ's with the V8s, so I was very pleased. Normally, I try to find the jeeps with no front end damage. But they had this 97 that had been hit in the front pretty good. All the damage had been corrected, and it looked like all the steering had been replaced. I had already taken most of the steering off a 95, so I was able to make sure that the 97 had no damage. It all looked great, so I paid the 60 bucks and headed home. I get it all cleaned up, and everything looks like new - drag link, tie rod, tie rod ends etc. Very, very :D

Here is the stock 89 MJ steering (top), compared to the 97 ZJ V8 assembly (bottom)-

Pitman arm end comparison -

Knuckle end comparison -

It is significantly more stout than the stock set-up. From the research that I gathered, the drag link is said to be identical to the newer XJ's. Grabbing the complete steering off the Grand Cherokee just saved me time and money trying to peice it together. Even the rubber boots look like new! I am going to slap a coat of paint on it, and get it on the new axle - Rich

I managed to get a lot done this weekend on the jeep. I am going to save most of the progress for one complete RE lift install post when I get it completed ;) .

I did manage to get the axle out ->

Install my front tow plate & tow hooks (this thing jamminz.gif's )->

And I got the brush guard ready for the front bumper (sitting in my toy box :brows:) ->

I also spent an hour on Sat. trying to get a bird out of the garage. At first I thought it was a bat :oops:! The silly thing would not get out. He eventually flew up into the attic. He spent the night up there, then he flew out some time around 3pm on Sunday. I am so glad I did not have to go up in the attic and try to catch him - Rich

• Drahcir495 changed the title to Drahcir495's Build-up