Drahcir495's Build-up

Can any of you guys put a set of calipers on that v8 sway bar and get me a diameter?

I just picked one up. I have diameters of 25.84 - 26.18mm at various locations. The guy at Napa, using his caliper, confirmed the 26mm. I am ordering the 26mm Moog bushings, so I will let you know how it works out. Anyone else get a different measurement?

So I should be making sure they are over 1" in diameter.. OK cool , thanks...

noooooo, 26mm! pay attention son! :fool: :yes:

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any of you guys put a set of calipers on that v8 sway bar and get me a diameter?

I just picked one up. I have diameters of 25.84 - 26.18mm at various locations. The guy at Napa, using his caliper, confirmed the 26mm. I am ordering the 26mm Moog bushings, so I will let you know how it works out. Anyone else get a different measurement?

26mm=1.0236" :hmm: :fool:

I actually wrote a DIY on this Swaybar thing, and it covers size as well.

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... =9&t=11980

Holy crappers batman.. I even posted in that thread...... To much information......my... head... is ....... aboutttt........... to ............................... EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headpop:

:dunce:

:doh: I was teasing because you converted from metric to english, i.e. as if they were not the same measurment. Soooo..... :fool: and :fool:

:doh: I was teasing because you converted from metric to english, i.e. as if they were not the same measurment. Soooo..... :fool: and :fool:

:thwak: ................................ :nanner:

nutkick.gif ............................. :rotfl2:

:peek:

Got a set of 26mm Moog from Advanced and they don't close completely around the bar when installed < 1/4" gap. Is this normal, or should it close up? Took it off and it says 25.5mm on the inside - wtf :fs1: ? I bet the 27mm is really a 26.5mm. I am going to see if they have 27mm at another parts store and if they don't, it will be close enough.

The dealer has them. AFAIR they were pretty cheap too......... :cheers:

:cheers: Don - I wanted this done after I got home, so I could not get there in time.

After visiting four unique auto parts places, I still did not have the appropriate sway bar bushing. I decided to stick with the Moog 26mm (25.5mm actual) bushing out of frustration. On a side note; I had put off cutting down the sway bar disco’s until tonight too. They were at the maximum collapsed length. When I add the longer JKS sway bar mounts to clear the steering, they were a bit on the long side ->

Took a half inch of each side of the threaded rod ->

After the bushings and the shortened Disco’s ->

Before attempting this upgrade I had the stock sway bar with brand new poly bushings and the jeep drove very nice with those. After I swapped out the new bushings and took the jeep around the block all I can say is DAYEM! It is amazing what this simple upgrade has done. I will post up how it performs on the interstate tomorrow.

I drove it to work today and caught myself leaning into the turns while the MJ tacked a straight line :yes: .

Simply awesome jamminz.gif .

Now that I have my Dial Calipers, I am going to keep an eye out for this 28mm bar in the salvage yards.

Why didn't you removed the sway bar drop brackets instead of shorten the end links?

Willy

Good point. The sway bar drop bracket also moves the bar - IIRC - an inch out too. If I took it off I would possibly have to increase the length of the Disconnects, so they would not be touching the coil springs. It's really working well - I will not be touching it!

you so crazy.

hey, don't you think it's time to update your avatar? or do you like the "before and after" effect it gives?

I believe you may be right. I would like to wait until the truck is painted before I change my Avatar. By the way Hoo - I have loaded up the 1/2 gallon of left over paint into my truck. I hope the paint guy will take rolled quarters. Other wise it is back to the corner of 53rd & 3rd to watch my profits rocket.

Took a side trip to break in the new sway bar bushing :brows: . The parts guy said the specially formulated Sway Bar bushing fluid needed to be recycled after the 87 & 1/2 mile break in. Swung by the parents house to check in. Look who is noticeably bigger :eek: ->

I was going to try and "wrassel" him, but I had to go back to work :no: .

I also was able to get a picture of the neighbors Camel ->

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am preparing the MJ for the First Annual South East Meet and Greet in June viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16668. Today I started to change out all the fluids, starting with the transmission and transfer case, before I move on to the engine and axles. I also decided to try and swap out the factory 29 tooth to the 39 tooth gear that BLHTAZ hooked me up with jamminz.gif .

I first drained the transfer case ->

I have been putting this off because I was afraid that the length of the new gear shaft would not match the old shaft. I did not want to use a heat gun to swap the new gear onto the old shaft to make it work. To my relief and surprise the gear shafts were exactly the same length! ->

All I needed to do was to insert the new shaft/39 tooth gear in place ->

Installed it with the correct tooth range nick (32-45) in front of the lower fork arm ->

Then I filled the NP231 with a little over 1 Quart of ATF.

This was the drain plug on my Peugeot BA10/5->

The same tool was needed for the fill plug ->

I did not have the correct tool to remove the plugs, so I improvised. I made the tool by modifying a cheap hex wrench. I used a 3/8 Hex Wrench I had lying around and ground down two apposing sides to remove drain plug ->

As you can see; it fits ->

The old oil was a little dirty->

The Peugeot used almost 3 Quarts of 80W-90 gear oil, but I could have been closer to 2 ½ looking at the mess I made trying to get it into the fill hole.

I also installed a new O2 sensor; Bosch 12009->

Nice ->

Used a 7/8 wrench ->

~ Had no problems getting it off.

Old and new ->

This weekend I am attempting to replace the valve cover with a late model steel one. I am hoping this will stop the leaking & blow by problems. TBC

• Drahcir495 changed the title to Drahcir495's Build-up