Project “Tomahawk”

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New headliner and nos front fenders on the way. The grille and bezels will be chrome. Went with the 10 slot design as I feel it does match the turbines the best. 
Sorting out axles engine and seats along with wiring and electronics still. 

Being that this is an original 90k mile engine that runs perfectly, I’m not too inclined to make a stroker. I have considered helping it breathe better though which is the real choke point on these 4.0’s. A fully ported head from Russ along with a nice Mopar cam and ported intake along with a good header would probably add a good 50 or so reliable HP. Then again, a nice Eaton supercharger would add about 85-100 hp for about the same price. The mid 8’s compression ratio and stock cam seem to respond very well to pressure. Hmmm… not sure yet. I am also wanting to keep this rig a bit on the light side so adding heavy aftermarket bumpers and axles isn’t in the build plans. Again I’m thinking of staying with the D35. I’ve grown quite keen of those axles. A KJ 8.25 is still in the cards though. I’d grab an MJ d44 if I could just get it shipped. 

There is almost zero rust on this rig. I am going to have some body panels to replace/straighten though. If anyone is interested, I will likely be parting out the original 90k mile Renix engine and all associated electronics. Will also be probably selling the door panels and seats which are all original eliminator parts. 

This thing is going to get a significant power upgrade. More details to come…

D73410B6-409B-4CF1-BD17-59DCDC334862.jpeg

4F1FBABB-FC06-449E-A7BD-BB726B01A06F.jpeg

D9C9E60F-E71C-4328-9F3F-BB4CF1D9B28D.jpeg

7AA29C52-A85B-4A10-98EE-AC5685A9DF98.jpeg

C7F6BB2D-8F0A-40CE-9E39-AD96B68F478F.jpeg

3A13F15B-FB56-47B9-9733-BC6F63F7752F.jpeg

AD275634-418B-41A8-A875-7683335A523C.jpeg

898C26E2-1A3D-42F1-8BB7-69A6FA55D422.jpeg

D9E561F0-9387-4A5D-BE56-2F83164A22DB.jpeg

6ACFBBE9-944E-4528-A437-FDB90894737B.jpeg

More black interior pieces arrived along with my nos front left and right fenders. Russ is putting together a stroker for this and we’re shooting for 325-350. I’ll see how wel this 90’ Renix control system will handle things. Skat crank forged racetec pistons, fully ported intake and head, roller rockers. I’m quite keen on keeping the D35/30 combo due to the weight reduction but may swap to an 8.25 rear if a 44 doesn’t come through. Truck cover USA custom made roll top (thanks @Limeyjeeper for providing the build info for them!) will be in Friday. I almost went the LS route but I want to see what a fully built 100% Jeep can do. 
Plan to run 4.10’s with probably arbs with 31” BFG AT KO2’s on Restored turbines. 
Full front grille, flares, bumper and all replayed parts and accessories on their way. Also got a new rocker panel for the passenger side along with the bedside patch panel for the wheel well area. 
Debating on seats now. Given the build time for most parts I’m having to plan out at least a couple months in advance. 

Next step is pull the engine, strip it and send off for machining. 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

I feel you might need the Renix performance ECU for your stroker. Course who knows, maybe stock Renix will survive. 

From my research so far it seems that the late model Renix ecu should be able up to the task. The knock sensor is a nice bonus also. Fuel and timing trims are at least on par with the HO ecu. What Renix “performance” ecu are you referring to?

19 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Was reading up on this and it’s a tune for 91 octane. Supposedly not supposed to tow with it either. Just has different maps. As cruiser commented on a few forums, you could just go with the 89/90 ecu, high altitude cps and some good injectors and probably be very close to the performance tune. 

14 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

Things is going to be awesome. If you don't mind me asking where did you pick up the engine and what was the cost? 

Company out of Nebraska called OLMspeed. Here is their website: https://olmstedautomotive.com

I negotiated with them a bit to include some extra parts and longer warranty. Pricing is on their website I believe but always best to talk to them directly. Mine is an 02 with 66k miles. 

I may do a cam swap, roller rockers, steam kit and head gaskets if I have the time for it.

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Project “Tomahawk”