Project “Tomahawk”

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audio: after more research than a sane person should do, I settled on a pair of KS series Kicker component 5.25’s up front and 4x6 rears. Tough to find speaker with just the right physical and audio specs for this system. I went through all the Morel lineup, Focal, Infinity, JL and others. I’d don’t like the sound of any of the Focals I listened to. The Morel sound is excellent in pretty much the entire lineup but the physical size specs didn’t meet what I needed. The Nano Virtus series would have worked depth wise but I would have needed to cut a larger hole in the door panel. The goal is to keep everything completely stock looking. So I’m going with Kicker KS components, in the doors, tweeter in stock accusound locations in the knee panel, coaxial speakers on the b panels. I’ll be doing a lot of dampening work with all the panels and will also be working on isolating the front of the speakers from their backs which is a big issue in the b pillars. For amplification I’ll be going with a DSP amplifier and adding a 6.5” sub to the stock center console in a very stealth custom box. Just want a clean factory style system. Something that would have been installed if Comanches were still around today. 

You audiophiles crack me up, as small as the MJ cab is, it doesn't take an expensive sound systems to get decent quality sounding music. And I've never heard anyone riding in my vehicles ever say...."you know, your sound system sounds like the clarity and highs aren't just quite up to......" lol

Plus, I'm old just too old school I guess, give me a decent radio...Alpine, Jensen, Pioneer or Kenwood(yeah just those) and some good 5x7 or 6x9, maybe some smaller 5" rounds and I'm good, no amps no fuss, loud as hell, plenty clear for my heavy metal. :thumbsup:

Not saying I don't appreciate the degree some go to for the finest system possible, but I don't want the attraction for theft.

Now when I say old school.....My CJ7 is getting a non BT Jensen with a "Power Booster" 10 band 200w from the 70's new old stock.

3 hours ago, armyvet25 said:

You audiophiles crack me up, as small as the MJ cab is, it doesn't take an expensive sound systems to get decent quality sounding music. And I've never heard anyone riding in my vehicles ever say...."you know, your sound system sounds like the clarity and highs aren't just quite up to......" lol

Plus, I'm old just too old school I guess, give me a decent radio...Alpine, Jensen, Pioneer or Kenwood(yeah just those) and some good 5x7 or 6x9, maybe some smaller 5" rounds and I'm good, no amps no fuss, loud as hell, plenty clear for my heavy metal. :thumbsup:

Not saying I don't appreciate the degree some go to for the finest system possible, but I don't want the attraction for theft.

Now when I say old school.....My CJ7 is getting a non BT Jensen with a "Power Booster" 10 band 200w from the 70's new old stock.

Yeah I’ve rocked plenty of similar setups but I couldn’t go with something like that on this build. 

The MJ cab is a bit tricky to get to sound right. When it’s all said and done though, you won’t see this system at all and it will look completely stock. 

57 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Yeah I’ve rocked plenty of similar setups but I couldn’t go with something like that on this build. 

The MJ cab is a bit tricky to get to sound right. When it’s all said and done though, you won’t see this system at all and it will look completely stock. 

That's cool if you can keep it hidden other than a stock look!

2 minutes ago, armyvet25 said:

That's cool if you can keep it hidden other than a stock look!

@Minuit has been at work behind the scenes on the head unit. But it will be completely stock looking. Going to be running a DSP (possibly the JBL 8 channel). If I use the JBL it will be setup as active crossover on the front components, band pass on the rears and the last two channels feeding 60w @ 2ohms to each voice coil of a small 6.75” sub inside the oem center console. My TJ rubicon had a center console sub as well which is where the idea came from. It’s by no means going to be an all out spl build at all. It should just be a good sounding well rounded out system for daily driving. The DSP amplifier allows me to really tweak the sound and even “time align” the speakers. The DSP along with some specific installation techniques really do make a massive difference in the sound quality of the system. 

Kudos on keeping factory head unit.

BT & RCA outs I would assume.

if you haven’t seen @Gjeep subs he installed directly behind seats they are slick.

Wouldn’t have give up console storage.

Have you seen floor cutting for subs.

I’ve seen bassheads weld in 3 sided metal boxes 📦 with sealed MDF plywood inserted.

Where you going mount amp?

3 hours ago, Red Mistress said:

Kudos on keeping factory head unit.

BT & RCA outs I would assume.

if you haven’t seen @Gjeep subs he installed directly behind seats they are slick.

Wouldn’t have give up console storage.

Have you seen floor cutting for subs.

I’ve seen bassheads weld in 3 sided metal boxes 📦 with sealed MDF plywood inserted.

Where you going mount amp?

My original thoughts were wild but I need to wrap things up soon to get ready to ship out. Was thinking of a pair of w7 subs with the boxes built into the bed. Not sure how I managed to whittle my way down to a little 6.5 sub lol

I look forward to your feedback on that panel. I hope the mounting design is ok. I really wanted to have an option that didn't require drilling into the console even if it's below the trim but I'm afraid it's too convoluted.

I really like those rockers too.

Did you get door switches out of a 2 door xj or are you putting those switches somewhere else?

2 hours ago, m2bandit said:

I look forward to your feedback on that panel. I hope the mounting design is ok. I really wanted to have an option that didn't require drilling into the console even if it's below the trim but I'm afraid it's too convoluted.

I really like those rockers too.

Did you get door switches out of a 2 door xj or are you putting those switches somewhere else?

The power door/window switches are from a 2dr XJ 94-96 I believe as they are all black. 

Looking forward to trying you panels out. I plan on sanding them smooth and finishing them in the factory texture to match the interior. 

a single 8" in the cab was enough to melt the kidneys of the passenger in front of it.  :laugh:  buy quality and feed it all the power it can handle and you'll be fine with less.    :L: 

top end kenwood 5.25s components with separate tweeters, 10 band equalizer, and a Solo Baric 8" (I don't remember what the amps were).  it was an incredible mix in that tiny cab.  :jammin: 

I have a single 8" hooked up to a 5ch amp. Does decent enough. Wanted to feel the double bass when listening to metal. I mounted it behind the center console and have no issues. I did make sure to get a shallow mount. It definitely needs sounds deadening and to tune my EQ. 

IMG_20220825_123751695.jpg

On 2/12/2023 at 12:55 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

The power door/window switches are from a 2dr XJ 94-96 I believe as they are all black. 

Looking forward to trying you panels out. I plan on sanding them smooth and finishing them in the factory texture to match the interior. 

I have only used a filler primer after lightly sanding. Since each layer is applied .2mm thick you can expect grain at depths around that. Sanding down would need to be very even. Though some have done it and have been happy. I may be overly paranoid.

3 hours ago, m2bandit said:

I have only used a filler primer after lightly sanding. Since each layer is applied .2mm thick you can expect grain at depths around that. Sanding down would need to be very even. Though some have done it and have been happy. I may be overly paranoid.

Good to know. I'll stick with a fine grit on the air file then hit it with some high build.

• 2 weeks later...

Restored the glove box hinge. Not sure how in the heck it got this rusty and nasty. Tried doing a simple wire brush and rattle can but that just wasn’t going to cut it. So I hand sanded the whole thing, primed it, painted it and clear coated it lol. I know it’s one of those small items no one will ever really notice, but I despise any hidden rust so it had to be done. 

EAA82803-149B-495E-9DA4-B207F194AA9B.jpeg

29 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Restored the glove box hinge. Not sure how in the heck it got this rusty and nasty. Tried doing a simple wire brush and rattle can but that just wasn’t going to cut it. So I hand sanded the whole thing, primed it, painted it and clear coated it lol. I know it’s one of those small items no one will ever really notice, but I despise any hidden rust so it had to be done. 

EAA82803-149B-495E-9DA4-B207F194AA9B.jpeg

nice

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to find an overhead console for an XJ with a sunroof. It’s a short console with lights and the compass/temp display. It only has the single attachment point and shouldn’t really need to be modified at all to fit the MJ. I’ll restore it and cover it in the same fabric as the headliner. Getting closer to the final push to finish this project. 

Also got my wheel center cap emblems in for the turbines.

AABCE1DC-A0D7-47CE-BE0D-4EECA936D04F.jpeg

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Project “Tomahawk”