Project “Tomahawk”

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/11/2022 at 11:41 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

Company out of Nebraska called OLMspeed. Here is their website: https://olmstedautomotive.com

I negotiated with them a bit to include some extra parts and longer warranty. Pricing is on their website I believe but always best to talk to them directly. Mine is an 02 with 66k miles. 

I may do a cam swap, roller rockers, steam kit and head gaskets if I have the time for it.

Just do a trunion bearing upgrade on the stock rockers. If your doing headgaskets upgrade the lifter buckets as well with the ls2 style. I highly doubt you'll need to do head gaskets with such low miles on it. Your probably going to need a larger injector with the cam swap as well. 

12 hours ago, Empty_Pockets said:

Just do a trunion bearing upgrade on the stock rockers. If your doing headgaskets upgrade the lifter buckets as well with the ls2 style. I highly doubt you'll need to do head gaskets with such low miles on it. Your probably going to need a larger injector with the cam swap as well. 

Good info! I’ll do the trunion swap for sure. Will do valve cover and oil pan gaskets also. Have a low profile rear sump 6qt oil pan picked out from summit also since I don’t plan on lifting this MJ much at all. Sounds like the steam kit is also cheap insurance. I assume the CAI, Novak headers and free flowing exhaust will probably be good for a few more ponies. Can’t get too wild in front of that ax15. That’s actually got me thinking about any upgrades to it as well. 

Whats the advantage of the ls2 lifter buckets? 

45 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

Trunnion upgrade is definitely a must. I went with the bronze bushing style from CHE. Very high quality kit. You can also get the caged needle bearing version but I wanted to completely move away from needles.

Great info. I have the comp cams trunion upgrade kit in my cart at summit now. I’ll check that bushing kit out

On 2/13/2022 at 10:12 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

Good info! I’ll do the trunion swap for sure. Will do valve cover and oil pan gaskets also. Have a low profile rear sump 6qt oil pan picked out from summit also since I don’t plan on lifting this MJ much at all. Sounds like the steam kit is also cheap insurance. I assume the CAI, Novak headers and free flowing exhaust will probably be good for a few more ponies. Can’t get too wild in front of that ax15. That’s actually got me thinking about any upgrades to it as well. 

Whats the advantage of the ls2 lifter buckets? 

Less prone to letting this happen....spun lifter. You'll want a car intake too to fit it under the hood the truck intake dosent fit. Doorman ls2 intake is great for the money. Much less than a factory ls6 and makes close to if not more HP. What motor are you going with for the swap? 

Screenshot_20220217-163323.png

51 minutes ago, Empty_Pockets said:

Less prone to letting this happen....spun lifter. You'll want a car intake too to fit it under the hood the truck intake dosent fit. Doorman ls2 intake is great for the money. Much less than a factory ls6 and makes close to if not more HP. What motor are you going with for the swap? 

Screenshot_20220217-163323.png

I have an 02 LS1 vette engine. It already has an LS6 intake as well. 

Moving forward on this project. Getting a new shop setup also. Had a question though regarding the stock rear bumper brackets. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the long bed and short bed brackets? I read somewhere that the only difference was a small notch for the spring shackle. I have a pair of nice long bed bumper mounts I’m trying to see if I can use. 

11 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Moving forward on this project. Getting a new shop setup also. Had a question though regarding the stock rear bumper brackets. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the king bed and short bed brackets? I read somewhere that the only difference was a small notch for the spring shackle. I have a pair of nice king bed bumper mounts I’m trying to see if I can use. 

I want to say that was an ‘86 only type deal. After ‘87 they were the same between short and king bed. Can someone else confirm?

10 hours ago, neohic said:

I want to say that was an ‘86 only type deal. After ‘87 they were the same between short and king bed. Can someone else confirm?

Good to know. Any pics of the brackets would be great. I’ll try mocking them up and see how they fit the short bed

Had to pickup another steering column and wheel. It looks like someone tried to install an auto column and couldn’t quite get the shift interlock figured out. They had destroyed some of the housing and the column had a ton of slop in it. Got a replacement tilt manual column with the key release lever. Also managed to find a mint condition original black steering wheel and a few other odds and ends. More parts showing up for the project. Looks like a mail ordered a Comanche in pieces lol

Picked up a set of yukon chromo shafts for the D30 along with a set of 3.73 gears to match the rear. Was trying to find an XJ HP30 with 3.73 gears but there aren't any for sale near me and I will not run a low pinion front axle. Debating between ARB's or perhaps a Grip Pro front and rear.  

Engine has arrived. Along with some more goodies. GM LS swap oil pan kit for front axle clearance. also got a new manual tilt column, all black steering wheel, and a new boostwerks hidden winch/steering brace setup thanks to @Red Mistress! Dropped off an original MJ hitch, swb gas tank skid, transfer case skid, step bumper, bumper brackets and oem front skid to get blasted. Disassembly coming up soon. Getting some shop area prepped for the initial tear apart. 

First order from Novak arrived with headers, motor mounts, and all sorts of small swap parts. Painless stand alone LS harness also came in. Have a pair of Corbeau trailcats being made also with lumbar adjusters and heaters with the HD material option. Most big parts will be coming around mid May. 

The yard that I was getting my 8.25 from dropped the ball and ended up never pulling the axle. After being transferred several times and having to re-explain the situation I just gave up on them. Rear is now going to stay a Dana 35. I’ve built many a Dana 35 that can endure some serious abuse all while being very light weight. This one will get 3.73 gears, 1541 shafts (possibly 30 spline with arb). There are several trick to keeping the Dana 35 alive and happy. Axle tube flex is one, along with a good cryo treatment on the R&P. This axle will be running 31” BFG’s but 35’s are quite attainable and writhing the axles range. Axle clearance and unsprung weight are very good compared with to marginally larger tires on heavier axles

FA691ED8-441A-40E0-A997-5D29669851FF.jpeg

3199C054-5943-4F8D-86F8-07813DEAD4EB.jpeg

Still sorting out axle availability. My local junk yard doesn’t give me the time of day so I had to widen my search. Managed to find two yards in MO and going to make the run tomorrow. 3.55 8.25 liberty rear with disks and a XJ non disconnect HP30 with 3.55’s. Picking them up tomorrow

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Project “Tomahawk”