Project “Tomahawk”

Well, this build will be moving forward shortly! Decided to make this one a restoration piece with only a few modern improvements but keeping it all stock. My 91 will remain the mod machine. I’ve been collecting used and nos parts for this new machine. The list is getting good and should make for a nice restoration. I may build the “beach cruiser” from the MJ dealer brochure. Should be getting started in a few weeks. Hope to complete before the end of summer. Also will need to find a swb roll bar and the appropriate lights. The louvers would be nice too. I have a set of oem front fogs. Will do the hidden winch just like the picture and throw in an ARB compressor in to complete and on board air system like the package says

9E055E50-84ED-4593-825C-5DCBE042A2A5.jpeg

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you’ve seen my 91 build thread you may already know that I sold my 91 Eliminator today… surreal experience. 

So this build should be interesting. This rig is low original miles and has a nice solid an 99% rust free body. At this point all ideas are on the table. Going to need to set a budget and come up with some different concepts here. Everything from an LS3 to the stock Renix 4.0. Supercharger, strokers, 2.8 diesel. Parts availability may dictate where this goes to some degree. 

Here are some pics of the new eliminator as it currently sits. Obviously, I did not install the snorkel or apply the 2 tone spray paint lol.

Had the carpet removed first thing to make sure no water was getting trapped under it. Currently sits at 90,000 all original miles. It’s nice to finally have another ax15 again also. 

F72A1886-34CF-4E97-B47D-625BEB458158.jpeg

D9FDE1B8-B423-4CB5-9902-66553A776325.jpeg

E158E8C2-A24E-471D-85A4-A9C249CB8120.jpeg

C10CFAE1-5CFD-43B4-902B-8A5108647E75.jpeg

A1447259-230A-4C6C-8E68-16E2E1046185.jpeg

607AB5CA-8637-4109-BED1-16798D2C6A16.jpeg

Gathering more inspiration. I do prefer the 97+ front end look. Been doing plenty of research on everyone else’s builds. Power, style and creature comforts are the theme here. Have drawn some inspiration from some of the following rigs. @Limeyjeeper now I absolutely must have the truck covers usa cover lol.

2176874E-57BA-43DD-9E9A-E23CA682E627.jpeg

022D8030-5261-4BF6-96D7-5069FCDDBBA8.jpeg

908A946D-FEA3-4FAB-AAC3-4C9335501E73.jpeg

16C68D76-D623-47ED-947F-7E4D2B3F385F.jpeg

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to 1990 Build - A Modern Chief

Interior: I have some of the hard to find NOS parts like the factory 2dr power switches and so forth but need to find some good black interior door panels, center console and dash. I much prefer the 97+ center console as long as I can build some sort of filler for the last section where it meets the dash. Also going to swap to the later style XJ glass to eliminate the fixed vent window. May just end up going with a 97+ interior swap but not sure yet. Also pretty set on some leather wrapped recaro adjustable cruiser style seats. Front and rear speakers will be 5.25 Morel components on a factory head unit with an Audio Control amp. May also go with some 6.5” subs in the doors or B pillars if I have time. I don’t really want anything intruding into what little cab space there is. 

Engine/Tranny: Russ Pottenger is quoting me a full stroker setup. Will update when I have that locked down. 
Will reuse my AX15 but replace the clutch with a Luk HD unit along with an external slave bellhousing setup. 

Axles, suspension, brakes:

Plan on just a 2-3” lift using Acos and some ome coils. Will run the GS rear 4 or 5 leaf packs. Plan to reduce the factory rake but will still keep about an inch of forward rake. The Acos will help dial that in. The D30 front will likely remain by get an ARB and chromo axles from Revolution. Rear is TBD. Shooting for a 44 rear if I can sort out getting one shipped otherwise I may just go for another Super 35 as they have been incredibly tough little axles and I am keeping a close eye on weight for this build. Steering will likely be the Currie setup and planning on Savvy for the control arms (aluminum). 

Wheels/Tires

Handling and performance are the top priorities of this build. I do intend to run occasionally as a weekend warrior but any hardcore wheeling capabilities will be secondary. 

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to 1990 Eliminator Up Country

So I just picked up a full set of refurbished Turbine wheels and some center caps in excellent shape. Pulled the trigger on quite a few parts over the last few days. This will be a driver and maybe an occasional weekend warrior. Looking to keep the overall weight down on this one though so every chance I get to save some weight I’m going to go for. Will be getting started in the next couple of months.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:58 AM, eaglescout526 said:

Did you contact the owner to get one kit? Didn’t see it on their website. It looks to be like a good alternative to the factory option/accessory. 

I’ve been trying to reach out to the owner several times now through email and calls to no avail. They really make the best overall unit since it comes with the plate for the pillow bearing support to the steering gear box output. Really tightens up the front end nicely. I’m hoping he replies one of these days or I’ll be looking for an alternative. May have to end up fabricating one using the Iron Man steering brace system. 

Since I have the wheels coming in already, I’m fairly committed to either a 30x9.5 or a 31x10.5 tire. Going with the BFG AT KO2’s as those performed exceedingly well on my other Jeeps. Great in rocks and very nice on the road even when wet. Still sorting out engine, steering, suspension and brakes. Going to get through all of Cruisers tips first. Also ordered up a set of Jeep Cables for power and ground refreshing. 

Here is a laundry list of parts I need if anyone has any of the following:

1. good condition grey dash

2. steering column and wheel (also grey)

3. driver and passenger fenders

4. good condition tailgate (this one would need some major work to make it functional

5. front bumper

6. Front flares

7. Possibly a D44 rear

I can get a lot of these parts (except dash and tailgate) aftermarket but would prefer to get good used ones.

if anyone has a line on any of these parts please let me know. 

@89 MJ Yeah I believe I will stick with the period correct front and interior. 

I’ve sourced ZJ steering, upcountry front springs, WJ lower arms and all new bushings. Will also be installing one of my restored hvac panels and some new switch panels. The engine runs very well so I’ll just perform some needed maintenance first but eventually will be doing something with it. The PO installed a cable shifter for the 4wd which I’m going to delete. Had one in a YJ and never wanted one again. They also did a few wiring hacks and setup an aux fan on a switch and setup the fuel pump to run continually with the key on. I picked up all NOS Mopar 10 blade fan, shroud & 01 XJ e fan. Getting a nice parts collection lol.  

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Project “Tomahawk”