Jump to content

Motor Mounts running worse.


Recommended Posts

Hey all, just wondering if I'm crazy or I screwed up, maybe both. 

But my ride was vibrating reallly hard at over 60mph. So i decided to change out the 2 motor mounts with some I bought off rock auto. After install it seems almost worse, is this normal until they break in like a new pair of shoes??

Did I miss something or maybe just order some crap mounts? I bought the Weststar brand. 

Real frustrated so if you have any input that would be appreciated!

Ill attach some awesome pics of the old mounts later.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I having similar issues with mounts off rock auto, not as still as can flex by hand. Mine was a tranny mount that was in need of replacement for the vibes i was getting. Perhaps double check yours to ensure that might also need replacement. 

Stock motor mounts i have found to be a pita as with the flexing and have since replace radiator a few times and no longer have a mechanical fan, and in so have dealt with over heating issues therefore. What one thing can lead to so many things. :laugh: However, as I have see and look forward to upgrading to are a set of solid mounts replacements. Hear great things about this and suggest you may look into that at this point being your replacing parts so why not upgrade if you can justify the cost. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speed-dependent vibration is definitely not motor mounts.  You'd need to describe the vibration more, but vibration at higher speeds is usually a worn out or damaged track bar.  Could also be damaged steering ball joints.  Is your truck lifted?  If it constantly gets worse as your speed increases, I would expect a damaged or off-balance wheel.  Generally u-joints vibrate worse at lower speeds, but I wouldn't rule that out either.  You're going to need to get under the truck and visually inspect things before you throw more parts at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, scaleless said:

Speed-dependent vibration is definitely not motor mounts.  You'd need to describe the vibration more, but vibration at higher speeds is usually a worn out or damaged track bar.  Could also be damaged steering ball joints.  Is your truck lifted?  If it constantly gets worse as your speed increases, I would expect a damaged or off-balance wheel.  Generally u-joints vibrate worse at lower speeds, but I wouldn't rule that out either.  You're going to need to get under the truck and visually inspect things before you throw more parts at it.

:iagree:

 

And just to add my $.02 regarding mounts: get oem mounts. All the solid aftermarket mounts (including brown dog rubber mounts) transmit far too much to the truck. The oem ones seem like a weak setup but work the best. 100% Mopar ones though not the aftermarket oem style ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scaleless said:

Speed-dependent vibration is definitely not motor mounts.  You'd need to describe the vibration more, but vibration at higher speeds is usually a worn out or damaged track bar.  Could also be damaged steering ball joints.  Is your truck lifted?  If it constantly gets worse as your speed increases, I would expect a damaged or off-balance wheel.  Generally u-joints vibrate worse at lower speeds, but I wouldn't rule that out either.  You're going to need to get under the truck and visually inspect things before you throw more parts at it.

I'm pickin up what your putting down. The truck is not lifted at all, and the speed vibrations were more like i can't see out the mirrors cause they're buzzing so hard. So thats why i decided to do the repair(and it was a pretty good price) I used to have a ford with bad ball joints and that baby had some vibrations.  So now with the new mounts in, I'm meaning as soon as I start the truck up the vibration has panels rattling and what not. 

 

Any links for the oem mounts? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

I having similar issues with mounts off rock auto, not as still as can flex by hand. Mine was a tranny mount that was in need of replacement for the vibes i was getting. Perhaps double check yours to ensure that might also need replacement. 

Stock motor mounts i have found to be a pita as with the flexing and have since replace radiator a few times and no longer have a mechanical fan, and in so have dealt with over heating issues therefore. What one thing can lead to so many things. :laugh: However, as I have see and look forward to upgrading to are a set of solid mounts replacements. Hear great things about this and suggest you may look into that at this point being your replacing parts so why not upgrade if you can justify the cost. 

 

Got any further info on these solid mounts? Curious on just what that is exactly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JStone said:

I'm pickin up what your putting down. The truck is not lifted at all, and the speed vibrations were more like i can't see out the mirrors cause they're buzzing so hard. So thats why i decided to do the repair(and it was a pretty good price) I used to have a ford with bad ball joints and that baby had some vibrations.  So now with the new mounts in, I'm meaning as soon as I start the truck up the vibration has panels rattling and what not. 

 

Any links for the oem mounts? 

 

@eaglescout526 can get you new OEM mounts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JStone said:

Got any further info on these solid mounts? Curious on just what that is exactly?

If you search 4.0 solid engine mounts they'll show up. They are a poly bushing setup like a leaf spring bushing which doesn't allow it to flex like it can with oem mounts. However a good set of quality oem ones would be suffice. Biggest noticeable difference is rubber oem bushing vs the poly aftermarket ones is the Vibration. Rubber is far better for highway cruising for sure. I play on hills and rocks and stuff and rather no flex vs a little Vibration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MiNi Beast said:

If you search 4.0 solid engine mounts they'll show up. They are a poly bushing setup like a leaf spring bushing which doesn't allow it to flex like it can with oem mounts. However a good set of quality oem ones wouldnt be suffice. Biggest noticeable difference is rubber oem bushing vs the poly aftermarket ones is the Vibration. Rubber is far better for highway cruising for sure. I play on hills and rocks and stuff and rather no flex vs a little Vibration. 


And if you still have you late 80’s-early 90’s plastic palace interior it will make a ton of noise lol. Shakes the screws loose and will drive you nuts sitting at a stop light :doh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This got me thinking, because my motor mounts are old and I was thinking about the brown dog ones. Rockauto has these polyurethane ones in the performance section, has anyone ever tried them? Seems to me like it could be a good middle ground between stock mounts and the hard mountsScreenshot_20210610-094831_Chrome.jpg.40ea7ed298665eb8ab18388a4ba6e72a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rubber dampens better, poly lasts longer.  It's just what you value more.  I really don't think there would be a significant difference with the stock-style mount.  If you're just looking to replace worn mounts, you really can't go wrong no matter what you buy, be it original or upgraded mounts, brand, bushing material, whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For an Upgraded rubber mount, I'd look at M.O.R.E. or Ironman 4X4 Fabrication. Also, Possibly Stinky Fab and Iron Rock. Some of them supply mounts with a Clevite Rubber Bushing. I do have a set of the MORE's on my Comanche. I have not run it with them. I do have Brown Dogs on an XJ. I busted some NAPA ones and it bit into my radiator. I would not go with Polyurethane on a Unibody, except for swaybar bushing and some other minor stuff. Or at least have one side of a link with a rubber bushing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact is that, for a motor mount to do it's job, it has to be compliant.   That means the engine must be able to move (to some degree) independent of the chassis.   Rubber is chosen for OEM because it achieves that goal best, but with a sacrifice in terms of longevity.

 

Aftermarket "heavy duty" motor mounts wind up making the compliance component (the rubber/poly bushing) stiffer, and the steel parts more robust.   The end result is a strong mount, but one that transmits more vibration.

 

Using polyurethane aggravates that problem further, in that poly is not as compliant as rubber, and thus really makes vibrations get transmitted that much more.

 

In summary, there is no free lunch here.   If you want minimum vibes, stick with OEM construction.  If you want stronger, there are plenty of choices, but ALL of them will transmit more vibrations into the chassis compared to OEM type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did my motor mounts and transmission mount all at once also with rockauto parts, and yes, it was harsh afterwards. Just give it some time; after a few months, it settled down for me, but I drive like 5 minutes to go to work, so I don't rack up a lot of miles. It may settle down faster in your case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try backing off the through bolts, then loctite the nuts in place at whatever tension the vibration stops at.

 

Should help, playing with the bolt tension can even get poly mounts to calm down significantly.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, OldSch88L said:

I did my motor mounts and transmission mount all at once also with rockauto parts, and yes, it was harsh afterwards. Just give it some time; after a few months, it settled down for me, but I drive like 5 minutes to go to work, so I don't rack up a lot of miles. It may settle down faster in your case.

Honestly this was the key, I was just mega frustrated when I wrote up this thread but I took it on some drives, and out in the dirt field a 2 or 3 times and It really calmed down. 

Also adjusting some of the interior panels was huge to. None the less for the price I paid on the mounts (westar) from rock auto, can't complain!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...