1986 AMC Eagle

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

don't take much to send something like an trans or an engine out the wayside.

No it does not!

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

lost count as to how many people I've talk to that lost an automatic from a rusty trans cooler line blowing apart on a drive. :( 

I’m glad this was a southern car and I didn’t lose a cooler line. It does suck that the cooler got plugged and cooked though. 

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

"preventative maintenance" takes on a whole new meaning when the car is super old.  :(  things you'd never think of with a new car.

Indeed it does. We are suspecting that, because the car sat for probably 2 decades, the ATF became varnish and plugged it up. Even though we flushed it, we must not have gotten at all. On the bright side, I should be good for many more miles!

29 minutes ago, Pete M said:

a lesser owner might junked it over a blown transmission.  feels good to be able to fix things yourself, doesn't it.  :D   almost seems like a lost art these days. 

I do love keeping these rigs on the road. My grandma asked me if I was going to junk it. What she doesn’t know is that my Eagle is going to outlive her Honda CR-V, just because she said that. I’m not giving up on either of my rigs. :D 

54 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Don’t you love it when other family members ask if you’re gonna junk it and you just look at them and go, why on earth would I do that?!

Yes I do! And I followed up my reasoning with these screenshots from Mecum. The 87 that went for $35,200 even has the wrong hood on it. 
44688B5B-A2D0-44B9-83F6-4E4E11855AF3.jpeg.8a582f75b011039b9a3680992ddc5f73.jpegB226CFBD-B863-478F-9DF2-1164B87AB7D6.jpeg.37a8e926fae5230ef607cfa6948c93e9.jpeg

Update on the transmission: the case is also no good, so I have to source another one though. I made some calls and one is being pulled for me in the next couple of days. 

And if that doesn’t work, I might be giving my spare AX-15 a home…

8 hours ago, Jesse J said:

ax15 swap!!

The issue is finding the Eagle specific clutch pedal and related pieces, but it is possible.

42 minutes ago, watchamakalit said:

Keep the slush box. Those old 904/727's are pretty stout. I know where there is a yard with good cores.....

I would rather keep it. This one has (I believe) a TF998, but I have heard good things about them.

5 hours ago, acfortier said:

Could you theoretically put a AW4 behind it? Are they the same bellhousing? Obviously would have to figure out electrical.

Could I? Yes. Will I? No. It would suck what little power this car has and the electrical would not be worth the gain, IMHO. If I were to run any other type of trans, it would be an AX-15. 

4 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Swap it out for another and run it. :rolleyes:

The only issue is finishing on that doesn’t have varnish build up in it from sitting. 

13 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Could I? Yes. Will I? No. It would suck what little power this car has and the electrical would not be worth the gain, IMHO. If I were to run any other type of trans, it would be an AX-15. 

The only issue is finishing on that doesn’t have varnish build up in it from sitting. 

AW4 isnt worth the work. Better trans to be had for alot less work. I looked into that years ago for the cj. Ended up with a torqueflite.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on the transmission. It took a couple of weeks to get the second core. I did install a new flex plate since some of the teeth were chewed up and a new steering stabilizer that isn’t leaking. 

Transmission went back in Saturday night, then the front wheel bearings started making noise. The right one was much worse than the left, so that one got replaced. I’m hoping to replace the left one tonight if I have time. 
Funny story about these, you cannot get a whole hub assembly, so you have to take it all apart and press in new bearings and races. No part of it is difficult by any means, just more time consuming. 

2 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Yet the benefits of being able to rebuild. :thumbsup: 

:popcorn: you planning to sell it yet? 

Still not going to sell it. It is nice being rebuildable.