Jump to content

Comanche's new home


Recommended Posts

Just starting a thread here chronicling my new garage build. This isn't going to be quite up to Garage Mahal's build thread. But it's mine none the less. I have big ideas for it, probably bigger than my wallet

To start with , it will be a metal building. Foot print will be 24x36x12. With a 3500psi reinforced concrete slab with wire mesh embedded I it. 10×10 rollup garage door, a pedestrian door and one window on each side. It will have a 200 amp service with a separate meter from my house. Water will be provided by a gutter catchment system. This will not be for drinking, just to wash my hands etc. Plans are for a 9000 lbs 2 post lift and up to 220v power. I pulled the trigger and started the process 2 weeks ago. I'm currently doing the ground work. The concrete will be laid in 12 to 16 weeks....yeah long lead time. Building will be erected 4 to 6 weeks later after slab has cured. Below are pics of the progress I've made so far. I stopped hauling dirt when I found the county permitting process has a lead time of a month and I had to submit a surveyed plot plan to them of the proposed site as well as blueprints that I originally didn't have made and certified.15cc532a9da33bf03ae7f22210fde91b.jpg1339a6a126e5f6eaecfd491b08403a7c.jpg06433c731e576805ebb6818302b6ef34.jpg6e615e7ca10100b3488353cb50ebc615.jpg

 

89 Comanche

Eliminator

2wd

4.0L

5 speed PukeGoat

Factory Original

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

 

I stopped hauling dirt when I found the county permitting process has a lead time of a month and I had to submit a surveyed plot plan to them of the proposed site as well as blueprints that I originally didn't have made and certified.

 

 

How do you have blueprints "certified"? Who certifies them? And why do they need to be certified at all? This is next to your house, right? So it gets built under the Residential Code, and doesn't need to be drawn, signed, or sealed by an architect or an engineer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Eagle said:

 

How do you have blueprints "certified"? Who certifies them? And why do they need to be certified at all? This is next to your house, right? So it gets built under the Residential Code, and doesn't need to be drawn, signed, or sealed by an architect or an engineer.

I'm thinking perhaps being a standalone building with its own meter of its size being required by local code and oriented per the plot.

 

Maybe not a engineered plan per your specs but a approved building plan to show whats being built and copied once pull building permit. Inspections will be done and be long and test patience. good luck with your build, will be nice to have a home for the mj. :D    

Link to post
Share on other sites

The builder provides and certifies them. Basically means The foundation will have footers not just a slab and The structure will be built to withstand the wind zone (120mph) requirement of my hurricane prone area. The county requires it of all permanent structures regardless of use.
My original contract was for a metal building on a slab. No permits no footers etc. County got involved when the electrical company required a county inspection for the power supply. Also as part I have to have an Environmental impact assessment done by the county. To determine if my building will influence run off and drainage as well as septic systems in the area. Yeah...ENTER THE BUREAUCRATS! all because I wanted lights in it.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i understand it that some just build the barn and do wiring later but i reckon they do not have it on separate meter. 

are you dropping to a power pole or going direct to building?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
yeah i understand it that some just build the barn and do wiring later but i reckon they do not have it on separate meter. 
are you dropping to a power pole or going direct to building?  
Coming in off the street underground. Power company does it for free if it meets certain requirements. Neighbors shop was done for free.
Meter will be on the building
89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original



Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

The builder provides and certifies them. Basically means The foundation will have footers not just a slab and The structure will be built to withstand the wind zone (120mph) requirement of my hurricane prone area. The county requires it of all permanent structures regardless of use.
My original contract was for a metal building on a slab. No permits no footers etc. County got involved when the electrical company required a county inspection for the power supply. Also as part I have to have an Environmental impact assessment done by the county. To determine if my building will influence run off and drainage as well as septic systems in the area. Yeah...ENTER THE BUREAUCRATS! all because I wanted lights in it.
 

 

Legally, builders can't "certify" plans. Any building that is on a residential lot and that will be accessory to a one- or two-family residence is constructed under the International Residential Code, not the International Building Code (which is for everything else). I went through this recently with a building inspector friend who had a case where a woman was going to build an 80' x 200' riding arena and she claimed it was under the Residential Code. What kicked it over to the Building Code was that she was running a commercial horse breeding operation and riding school out of the property.

 

I'm not saying that a private, residential outbuilding is exempt from codes or from inspections. The exception in the code is for structures smaller than 200 square feet. And zoning is a separate matter from building codes. What I'm questioning is this "certification" of plans. The laws of every state allow the owners of residential properties to draw their own plans. They do NOT require the plans to be drawn by an architect or an engineer, and an architect or an engineer cannot legally put his seal and signature on any plans he did not draw personally or that weren't drawn under his direct supervision. A builder can also draw up plans for a residential structure but he can't "certify" them -- at least, not beyond making a statement that "I certify that I drew these plans," which is a meaningless statement. His 5-year old daughter could draw the plans with a crayon and make the same certification.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You do know codes are different in every jurisdiction right? My wind requirements are not the same as just a little west of me. I don't have to attach tethers like California requires. And yes my builder is engineering and certifying and registering the blue prints there are drawing with the county. They are saying this building can withstand 120mph sustained winds and not blow apart. They are a licensed contractor in the state and it is a requirement where I live. One county away it's not required.

When I told the inspector office I was only building a small garage for my car, she said it didn't matter. Every permanent structure in my my county requires this. If caught its automatic 500 dollar fine. And possibly be made to tear it down. Then she gave me a checklist of items required to be submitted. Certified engineered blue prints is on that list

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original










Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

You do know codes are different in every jurisdiction right? My wind requirements are not the same as just a little west of me. I don't have to attach tethers like California requires. And yes my builder is engineering and certifying and registering the blue prints there are drawing with the county. They are saying this building can withstand 120mph sustained winds and not blow apart. They are a licensed contractor in the state and it is a requirement where I live. One county away it's not required.

When I told the inspector office I was only building a small garage for my car, she said it didn't matter. Every permanent structure in my my county requires this. If caught its automatic 500 dollar fine. And possibly be made to tear it down. Then she gave me a checklist of items required to be submitted. Certified engineered blue prints is on that list

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original









 

True that. Also, in the same county you might have different codes as to in the City or out in the country. Sort of a funny story. A guy I worked with was trying to build a large shed in town. His neighbor said he could not build it as he was on a Flood Zone. The guy came into work and was not happy. The micro fiche from 1930 plots didn't exactly show if he was on a flood zone or not. There was a small creek or more like a drainage ditch on the back of his property. He stated "If I'm on a Flood Zone, Gods going to have to prove it to me!' A shiver went up and down my spine. It rained 10 inches in the next two days. He came into work at stated "Well, God proved it to me. I live on a flood zone." The waters came up underneath his house.  Probably 150 ft. 

      As Paul Harvey would say, Now for the rest of the Story. Remember that neighbor. Well He build on with out a permit. I can't remember if they made him tear it down.  Then latter there was a building boom. Some places that were designated as flood zones were build on. Yes, we had another 100 year flood about 10 years latter. People forget the fist one. The Second one, everybody has a story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 3:33 PM, tugboat95 said:

You do know codes are different in every jurisdiction right? My wind requirements are not the same as just a little west of me.
 

 

Ah, yeah -- it's what I do for a living. Which is how I know that every state in the country now uses some edition or other of the International Building Code and the International Residential Code. And garages as an extension of a residential occupancy fall under the Residential Code.

 

I still want to know how a builder can "certify" construction plans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they also designing it and making it from the raw material. Why I chose them. They do it all


89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...