Jump to content

Jeep Cherokee Nameplate


Recommended Posts

Well, it looks like the Cherokee nameplate might be going away from Jeep. The Cherokee Chief (sorry, had to say it) has requested that Jeep stops using its name. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35568468/cherokee-nation-jeep-stop-using-name/

 

Let's discuss.

Let me start off by saying that I have no Native American heritage. They way I always looked at the Cherokee (and Comanche, Mojave nameplate, etc.) was out of respect towards these people. Many other people viewed it this way too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

I am more worried about what they name the new kl and wks. I think it is time for the xj and mj to be left behind personally

I agree, that the XJ/MJ should be left behind. I only brought them up to point out that Jeep has used other Native American names in the past, and I always viewed it out of respect for those people. I'm sure Jeep will come up with something stupid for a new name if they change them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 89 MJ said:

I agree, that the XJ/MJ should be left behind. I only brought them up to point out that Jeep has used other Native American names in the past, and I always viewed it out of respect for those people. I'm sure Jeep will come up with something stupid for a new name if they change them.

I agree it's not like the cars sucked maybe not out of respect but definetly not disrespectful

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 89eliminator said:

Cancel culture basically guarantees Jeep will make the change.  nothing is OK anymore.  

Just wait, some person named Willy will get offended by the Willys trim level :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 things don't make sense to me. people are suddenly calling for diversity and saying no you can't have a native american on your butter because that's racist or something that doesn't make sense to me. and second how is mojave racist I thought it was named after the mojave desert. that's like getting offended at you naming a trim level after the sahara or something

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

2 things don't make sense to me. people are suddenly calling for diversity and saying no you can't have a native american on your butter because that's racist or something that doesn't make sense to me. and second how is mojave racist I thought it was named after the mojave desert. that's like getting offended at you naming a trim level after the sahara or something

Exactly! Modern society is so contradictory. We need diversity and to have the minorities recognized, but not that way. :doh:

The Mojave were a native american people too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohave_people

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 89 MJ said:

Exactly! Modern society is so contradictory. We need diversity and to have the minorities recognized, but not that way. :doh:

The Mojave were a native american people too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohave_people

yeah for sure. 

 

I mean I guess they where a people but also theres still the desert. it's whatever I don't really care about stelantis being canceled. Just wondering what they are going to do. get rid of the platforms completely? rebadge them? a rebadge would be awkward. maybe they will phase out the kl and rebadge the wkl and wk2 because they JUST released the wkl 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

image.jpeg.93ddc3bf00a2d98f3f0c93a77a2b7571.jpeg

I think it is time to get our MJ island to live on now.

 

2 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

Just wondering what they are going to do. get rid of the platforms completely? rebadge them? a rebadge would be awkward. maybe they will phase out the kl and rebadge the wkl and wk2 because they JUST released the wkl 

This is a great point, that thought hadn't crossed my mind yet. I'm not sure what they will need to do. Maybe they will just be called by their body codes. I'm sure any name would be offensive at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

I think it is time to get our MJ island to live on now.

 

This is a great point, that thought hadn't crossed my mind yet. I'm not sure what they will need to do. Maybe they will just be called by their body codes. I'm sure any name would be offensive at this point.

comanche dedicated mars colony

 

They might but lamens the people who buy those cars nowadays don't like buying cars without names

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

They might but lamens the people who buy those cars nowadays don't like buying cars without names

I would love to see them have names too, but if you think about it, lots of manufacturers have been having letter/number names for years (Mercedes, BMW, some Subarus). I'm genuinely curious as to how this unfolds though. Jeep and the Cherokee nation will  come up with some sort of phase-out and let the vehicles run for a few years before changing their name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Jeep Karen edition. 

That thought crossed my mind :roflmao:

1 minute ago, Ωhm said:

Replace it with the Paleface Limited Edition.

Don't say that! That shows white privilege! :doh: (I was extra heavy on the sarcasm there) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I would love to see them have names too, but if you think about it, lots of manufacturers have been having letter/number names for years (Mercedes, BMW, some Subarus). I'm genuinely curious as to how this unfolds though. Jeep and the Cherokee nation will  come up with some sort of phase-out and let the vehicles run for a few years before changing their name.

yeah but those models don't sell amazingly. definetly not 40% of your sales money

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh.  It's just a name.  It doesn't affect what the vehicle is or how it works.  It also doesn't affect the vehicles that have already been produced.  And it doesn't change the fact that the current Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are entirely different than they were in the 80s and 90s.

 

Change it.  Keep it the same.  Doesn't matter one iota to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have to stop using the name of Indian tribes, then we have to change the name of: Delaware, Indiana, N&S Dakota, Illinois, as well as many other place names, cities and counties.  

 

When will this all end?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derf said:

Meh.  It's just a name.  It doesn't affect what the vehicle is or how it works.  It also doesn't affect the vehicles that have already been produced.  And it doesn't change the fact that the current Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are entirely different than they were in the 80s and 90s.

 

Change it.  Keep it the same.  Doesn't matter one iota to me.

 

agreed.

 

53 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

If we have to stop using the name of Indian tribes, then we have to change the name of: Delaware, Indiana, N&S Dakota, Illinois, as well as many other place names, cities and counties.  

 

When will this all end?

 

Good question

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a person with no Native American heritage, but being a bit of a history buff. I can’t believe the world we are in now. Waiting until Polaris is told to stop using the Indian name for their motorcycle line. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...