Fuel Sender

7 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

I checked their website and unless I am blind they don't make them for the HOs? 

I previously confirmed with MTS that they do not. An option is to get a pre HO one and change the fuel sender in your cluster to a pre HO guage. The two senders read opposite. An alternative option is to send your unit to www.tristarrradiator.com who will do a superb refurb job on your existing sender unit. They did mine.

7 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I previously confirmed with MTS that they do not. An option is to get a pre HO one and change the fuel sender in your cluster to a pre HO guage. The two senders read opposite. An alternative option is to send your unit to www.tristarrradiator.com who will do a superb refurb job on your existing sender unit. They did mine.

My bad...didn't know HO was different when I posted the MTS link

I bought the 86 to 90 one from MTS with pump and one for a 91 XJ from MTS with no pump. I drilled out the rivets for the rheostat or Potentiometer (whichever that thing is) and swapped the XJ one over onto the 86 to 90 MJ sending unit. It works perfectly. A little expensive but I was tired of not knowing how much gas I had and MTS has been hinting at a unit for HO MJs for what? a year now?

1 hour ago, Lewis E said:

I bought the 86 to 90 one from MTS with pump and one for a 91 XJ from MTS with no pump. I drilled out the rivets for the rheostat or Potentiometer (whichever that thing is) and swapped the XJ one over onto the 86 to 90 MJ sending unit. It works perfectly. A little expensive but I was tired of not knowing how much gas I had and MTS has been hinting at a unit for HO MJs for what? a year now?

Much cheaper to send it to TriStarr. They put a new rheostat in plus a float etc. All you do is add the pump. I used a Carter P90011. $45 from RockAuto

20190616_105549.jpg.9a1316a1606326fcb13fc0333c1c60f9.jpg

20190803_134327.jpg.e017ed59be89243e34f4b930d872b696.jpg

9 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Much cheaper to send it to TriStarr. They put a new rheostat in plus a float etc. All you do is add the pump. I used a Carter P90011. $45 from RockAuto

I didn't have an original. My truck had an XJ unit in it when I got it.

59 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

The MJ unit is longer so it fits right down to the bottom of the tank.

Yeah, with the XJ one I had about a 10 gallon tank. The one from MTS fit very well. I don't have an original MJ one to compare it to but it went in OK. I spoke with one of the MTS guys about selling just the rheostat for the 91 and up XJ so I could do the swap I did without buying the entire other unit....they wouldn't do that. Didn't want to discuss it with me really. Not sure why they aren't making what I made and selling 'em to us....it works perfectly.