HO scale railroading

Anyone on here dabble a little in model railroads? Specifically HO scale?

I only ask as I have been having to rehab and repair some engines and was wondering what tools yall use, like size soldering iron and wire trimmers?

Got a 9x11 double wishbone layout setup in a spare bedroom. But due to wife's inability to throw crap away, I can no longer get to it. Room is full of her deceased mothers stuff. It has a NCE digital control and custom engines and cars. I work in the oil transportation industry so it has a oil terminal and loading pier. I'm also a volunteer fireman so it also has an obligatory structure fire going on at the local downtown 5 and Dime general store. If I can ever gets the stuff out if that room I might get to mess with it again. It's usually my winter project as I don't like to be cold and tend to stay inside.

As far as tools I have a soldering gun and a stand with clips to hold stuff. Also a good set of jewellers screwdrivers and a good adjustable light. But most of my tools are found in my toolchest in the garage that also work on the Comanche.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Somewhere behind all the stuff is my layout. Haven't worked on it (or played) in almost 3 years now. Spent one winter at sea a few years ago and didn't mess with it. Last winter my mother in law passed away and 90% of this "stuff" showed up. This winter ain't looking too good either. Getting rid of this stuff is not a fight I'm willing to take on right now.939de24a8d010939b8edd20a1f6593d4.jpgc91bca5cba30eeb7d6ab3c3ae019aaa1.jpg

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

10 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

Full scale here. :L:

I wanted to be an engineer in middle school for a time. But you probably have fun with what you do. 

7 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

Somewhere behind all the stuff is my layout. Haven't worked on it (or played) in almost 3 years now. Spent one winter at sea a few years ago and didn't mess with it. Last winter my mother in law passed away and 90% of this "stuff" showed up. This winter ain't looking too good either. Getting rid of this stuff is not a fight I'm willing to take on right now.939de24a8d010939b8edd20a1f6593d4.jpgc91bca5cba30eeb7d6ab3c3ae019aaa1.jpg

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

That’s goal right there. Shame you can’t get to it at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, tugboat95 said:

Car carrier with AMC/JEEP Logo???

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

That will become a thing in the future now. I’m gonna make that

I never got into scale railroad, but I grew up building scale plastic models.  I built literally every 1/48 scale aircraft model Monogram produced, and had a room full of 1/35 scale armor from Tamiya and Testors.  Some of the same skills cross over, minus the electrical.  I still have a tackle box full of tools- knives, scrapers, brushes, files, wet&dry sandpaper, and several airbrushes.

I get nostalgic thinking of the days you could go into Wal-mart and see a full row of scale plastic models, and the large display of small bottles of Testors and Pactra enamel paint, glue, and razor knives in the children's/Toys section.

I have a small collection of the original Shep Paine pamphlets that came with the Monogram aircraft models in the late 70s.  http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com

1 hour ago, schardein said:

I never got into scale railroad, but I grew up building scale plastic models.  I built literally every 1/48 scale aircraft model Monogram produced, and had a room full of 1/35 scale armor from Tamiya and Testors.  Some of the same skills cross over, minus the electrical.  I still have a tackle box full of tools- knives, scrapers, brushes, files, wet&dry sandpaper, and several airbrushes.

I get nostalgic thinking of the days you could go into Wal-mart and see a full row of scale plastic models, and the large display of small bottles of Testors and Pactra enamel paint, glue, and razor knives in the children's/Toys section.

I have a small collection of the original Shep Paine pamphlets that came with the Monogram aircraft models in the late 70s.  http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com

I used to be into building scale airplanes and cars when I was a kid. Not that I was any good - my best work was a brush painted 1/48 Spitfire Mk. II that looked OK from the other side of the room, but that's about it. Funny that this comes up, I've been thinking about getting a real airbrush setup and doing it for real this time. I probably have half a dozen kits in the attic that I never even started.

Got a reference site for ya.     A lot of good stuff here.

https://hoseeker.net/

As a kid my dad had some HO trains, my first job was at a hobby shop. Now I'm pushing 80 and still plays with toy trains. Also model cars and ships. I'm slowly working on a 1/100 wood ship, USS Constitution.  Plus  a slot racing track and the toys below.

When your retired every day is Saturday.

IMG_1321_4.JPG

IMG_1325_1.JPG