Alternator quit charging right after cluster swap - Ideas?

4 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Probably too late for a photo. But for myself, lesson learned here.

I didn't think to take a photo of the back of the cluster.  I should have.  We are always learning, as long as we are willing to learn I suppose.

7 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Dang. What a hassle to just find that out. Glad it’s working again! 

Yeah, I was starting to get a bit frustrated this week. Now I can move forward with other stuff.  :)

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 8:20 PM, Greentoy said:

This is the part you need on the yellow wire.  You will need to cut out the yellow wire, crimp the side that has the black connector to the tan wire and the other side to an ignition 12v circuit ( I used the diagnostic link input wire) 

s792.jpg

So I wasn’t an EM or ET was BM and struggle with wiring. I just did the cluster swap on my 1987 4.0 and have run into the same problem.  I am going to PM you regarding your fix.

Followed @Greentoy s directions and now I have a charging alternator! One difference I had is no yellow wire to small diagnostic block. I used the red wire instead. 

*Correction: on the 87 4.0 Renix use the orange wire, Again use the orange wire. I came out to a dead battery after the truck sitting for a couple of days after I used the red wire.