Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Welcome to my build. 

1987 Jeep Comanche. 2WD in pretty good condition. Picked it up late 2 years ago and daily drove it for a while. Stopped driving it daily since I actually didn’t drive anywhere (military and can literally walk everywhere) so took it home and put it in the shop. These pictures show the condition it was in.  Also picked up a New Beetle with an ALH TDI to swap in some day. 

BF907DB8-AAA0-4611-8582-2D2B2D2047FC.jpeg

92F23D0B-C3FE-4751-881F-FEACB4E3CB8B.jpeg

9880E3B4-FB5A-44DD-806E-86659567DEAD.png

7EB0DD4E-B26E-4829-8129-29369009026C.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first started driving it I noticed a few problems. Window seals leaked in the rain. Heat didn’t work. AC barley worked. Lights were dim, and headliner sagged. Here’s under the carpet. I grinder off the surface rust and bedliner it just so I could daily it until I put it in the shop. 

03A2FF38-E55E-4CB8-9BF2-E5F530B666DC.jpeg

96C4490A-8932-4249-A06E-FB874525B0E4.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling the bed off, playing the frame with IRO frame stiffeners for a XJ. Front first, mis doesn’t hardly fit at all. Notched the frame a little to make it fit. The rear I didn’t bother. I made a cardboard template to trace out and cut on some 3/16 sheet.F5833EF9-FCF1-46AA-9C69-F2D8DF06EC74.jpeg.a9005d6365880188a19a6c86fef50389.jpegI proceeded to use an air powdered orbital sander on the entire truck and por 15 just while it’s in storage. I plan on raptor lining it when it’s complete. 

E3E0B23A-DD6A-43EE-980B-307A82D6C229.jpeg

D1DA3B8D-2132-46FC-884D-2655574BE001.jpeg

3D7E31D6-53CE-44F9-A848-B967494D98BB.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

FOA 16 inch coil overs for the front, 18 for the rear. Eventually gonna upgrade to resi’s but for mockup I guess I’ll use these. 
 

axles are a GM 14 B from a 2500 van with a locker and shave kit. dana 60 I believe a kp with a truss from artec eith ctm joints a mech locker and 4340 shafts. And hi steer. 
 

Speaking of artec look at these heims. Using artec front and rear kits. Beef. 

4F22881C-1748-4AA0-9C9C-7BCC2AEB30AF.jpeg

29E5B9B6-D83A-4B9E-8302-D1D546A3D239.jpeg

C03F040F-57E8-4EE6-9F8A-9A4952107BE2.jpeg

0F81E1AA-20D8-4881-9EEB-9FBFFCB7DDBE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Driveline:

 

New Beetle ALH engine code 1.9 Turbo Diesel Injected (TDI) mated to an AX-15/231 with an SYE and HD chain. E3B9CF92-CA56-42FA-8AE5-47255E7A16C6.jpeg.6662b97a673cfafdb500a8228f4573ca.jpegBrought the motor to base where I can work on it during the week. Just last night got the pan off and looks like it will do. Gonna reseal it, bigger turbo and injectors, timing belt change, couple new accessories and mock it up to make some hydraulic motor mounts. 

7D58E84F-DD96-4D17-A289-6BA2BC2E1A55.jpeg

647C02BF-ED73-42F2-8464-40BCD3789530.jpeg

4DCF0824-38C5-4753-8D54-C156E14FBD29.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my engine bay cleaned up some. When the weather warms up I plan on epoxy spraying everything I can. Also picked up a 97+ brake booster and master. Ordered hoops for the coilovers. Took down the TDI and am waiting on parts to put it back together. Can’t really do much right now just waiting on parts so I can get my axles slung under the truck. 

D1063FBC-11DB-4B8A-9788-D5DD98D799C2.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, Swampy said:

What did you use to make your frame stiffeners?

 

 I used IRO frame stiffeners for the front and middle, modified the middle of the Comanche unibody to make it fit. The rear I used some 3/16 and just cut it out with a cut off wheel to match the shape

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last couple of weeks I’ve been working on burning in the truss on the rear axle. Then started to weld the sliders to the body. Not very easy. Had to grind away my first attempt. Kept burning through. 

0CC3F676-F86E-439C-9BF9-86C98B9036D8.jpeg

B466B96C-55AE-4472-BD93-B9D31BE24617.jpeg

54361D97-1D1E-428D-86AA-8CDE17D9C58C.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Got some work done over leave. Sliders done, frame stiffeners painted with steel it and tacked in, all old brackets chopped off. Half doors trimmed to fit, coil bucket mounts removed to put in hoops. Once the frame stiffeners all get fully welded up I’ll move to getting the link mounts burned in and get a rolling chassis. 

4BC577DA-91DE-43BC-8D1E-DDFFB9601A63.jpeg

125E2EA6-6EA3-4B43-BCDD-CBF5BC664B19.jpeg

872C6BF2-FA90-4A2A-833B-8B1F4382B5CF.jpeg

04730998-D228-47C1-87B9-3D58C55BEEFB.jpeg

591DE764-8C17-41E6-9589-EE810915DEEB.jpeg

00B60F62-E08E-4AD6-8486-0CD6EE944907.jpeg

82B92C1C-A0CC-428A-BDF1-86A557783BCA.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...