making my own custom seat covers and visors

So, if I send you my covers, you take those apart and use them as a pattern? I might have to find a pair of buckets first, so I can drive it while things are in process. Of course, I have been thinking about buckets and a console. So wishy washy.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BeatCJ said:

So, if I send you my covers, you take those apart and use them as a pattern? I might have to find a pair of buckets first, so I can drive it while things are in process. Of course, I have been thinking about buckets and a console. So wishy washy.

Yeah that's what I would need to do. unless you want to wait until someone else sends me their fabric bench. it does occur to me that I might be abe to figure it out if you pm me some pictures. 

I'm willing to be your guinea pig, no worries. I'm also willing to pay for it on a materials + labor basis, so you don't have to get upside down while you are figuring out if you can build them at a price point people won't cringe at. I have enough vehicle in my driveway that if it sits undriven for a couple of months, It doesn't hurt me. I just like driving the Comanche better than my DRW GMC.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:49 PM, Jesse J said:

so it's complecated. I spend 9 hours on friday and 5 hours today working on them but a lot of that was head scratching.

total breakdown on cost for seat covers (I haven't started on visors yet but it will be considerably cheaper)

my fabric 89$ a yard +shipping (the standard vinyl is 79$)

a thing of piping 5$

4 yards of sew foam 30$

canvas for the back 15$

I would really like to make it worth my time but also keep costs low as possible. so I am kicking myself that materials are so expensive. need to look into buying whole sale or something. If anyone has any input on that.

for If I would need someones seat cover. Yes if they where cloth or the bench seats without a cuttout or was a 91/92 and had headrests. No if it looked like my bench. also It would be better to reuse the jclips off the old seat to keep costs down if that makes sense.

thoughts? opinions?

IMG-0782.JPG

IMG-0780.JPG

IMG-0779.JPG

Would definitely be interested in one of these, id pay 200 for a full set no problem!

On 2/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, JStone said:

Would definitely be interested in one of these, id pay 200 for a full set no problem!

not going to be able to make them that cheap unfortunately :( 

In other news I bought a big chunk of high density foam to rebuild the bottom and that's coming along slowly and the top just looks better the longer I look at it. finshed the headliner and I am hoping to start the visors soon

• 2 weeks later...

My 1987 Comanche Has Red Houndstooth pattern i got from a Cherokee,because my brother put bucket seats in it that were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to0 High! Light blue fabric would work..... there are no headrests. How much to ship to Columbus Ohio included with new cover?

8 minutes ago, Commanche2 said:

My 1987 Comanche Has Red Houndstooth pattern i got from a Cherokee,because my brother put bucket seats in it that were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to0 High! Light blue fabric would work..... there are no headrests. How much to ship to Columbus Ohio included with new cover?

I don't know still need to figure out pricing that should be soon enough. gonna finish the second visor tonight. I just need to build my seat foam so I have a good product to show.

35 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

I don't know still need to figure out pricing that should be soon enough. gonna finish the second visor tonight. I just need to build my seat foam so I have a good product to show.

ok

7 hours ago, Mossmj13 said:

Starting stitch looks off an piping no bends look alike nor are straight with anything visors or the half bench. Best of luck with sale :L::blush:

yeah the machine kinda had some funkiness with the tension it would get loose then tight then loose I am working on fixing it. And yeah it isn't perfect. thanks I guess you don't have to get one :thumbsup:.

• Pete M changed the title to making my own custom seat covers and visors
21 hours ago, Jesse J said:

got the visors finished up today! got a feeling these are only going to get better

IMG-0880.JPG

not to shabby. only get better is right as the more you do the more you will figure out the hiccups. perhaps when you get it figured out more you will have options as in means of a slot to have a document holder perhaps. :brows: And even perhaps a monograph set.  

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

not to shabby. only get better is right as the more you do the more you will figure out the hiccups. perhaps when you get it figured out more you will have options as in means of a slot to have a document holder perhaps. :brows: And even perhaps a monograph set.  

thatnks! that's not a bad idea. I also deleted that ugly mirror on the passenger side because I hated the way it looked and there is basically no use for them

On 3/4/2021 at 9:22 AM, Jesse J said:

got the visors finished up today! got a feeling these are only going to get better

IMG-0880.JPG

Do those open up like a clamshell to insert the fabric? On my 91 they are a clamshell design but I’ve never seen piping on some

pretty much how they are built is I take a piece of chipboard (thin cereal box) then glue the headliner material to it with spray adhesive. then on the old visor I cut the crappy stuff off leaving the rod and the hardboard. Then I take the chipboard/headliner combo fold it over and run a stitch down the bottom.