Alright everyone. At the drive in and noticed a rich smell to charge up the battery for the next film. Poked under the hood and found that my exhaust to air box hose is ripped right at the exhaust pipe. Have any of y’all run into this issue and what did you do to fix/replace? 

Side note, if anyone has a spare one PM me. 

The "pre-heater" hose?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

The "pre-heater" hose?

Yes that hose. I don’t think the vac system for my pre heater works but nonetheless it’s still putting out fumes rather than recycle back into the intake. 

I used a 3 inch diameter hose from McMaster carr. It held up well and was still good to go, after 3 years, before I sold that MJ.

Just now, Big Dan said:

I used a 3 inch diameter hose from McMaster carr. It held up well and was still good to go, after 3 years, before I sold that MJ.

Did you have to use any clamps to help hold the hose on or no?

Yes, I put hose clamps on both ends to ensure a good seal

3 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Yes, I put hose clamps on both ends to ensure a good seal

Sounds good! Appreciate the input and idea! 

The preheat hose does not have any exhaust gasses running through it. It's simply a hose that funnels heat from around the exhaust manifold to the air box.

1 minute ago, fiatslug87 said:

The preheat hose does not have any exhaust gasses running through it. It's simply a hose that funnels heat from around the exhaust manifold to the air box.

Socal and I have been going back and forth on this. So far I’m probably wrong and my hand was playing tricks on me as I stuck my hand by the hose to see if I could feel anything and I thought I did but I probably didn’t. I have a spare manifold I’m going to look at tomorrow and see.

I'm probably thinking about how older cars recycle the fumes from the valve cover to the air intake. 

This is an aftermarket manifold but still you can see it's just a pressed on hose connector, no opening from the manifold. 

186894.jpg 

Yep, it's just heat distribution

Yeah i went and looked at my spare manifold and saw the same thing. I’ll just leave the hose alone and not think much about it. ‘‘Twas a part I never really looked at till the hose ripped. 

If it blew exhaust, you have an exhaust leak, and you don't want the engine ingesting that air when cold. Remove the box end, and start it cold but don't drive it. If it cold idles better, it may be ingesting exhaust at cold idle.