Like most projects, this one started out completely unnecessary. I was hunting for some random parts for my 1970 Ford Torino GT at at local junkyard that specializes in older vehicles when I happened to notice this mostly intact Comanche sitting there and asked Vic (Vics Classic Cars) what the back story to it was. I already have a daily driver, and also a 4wd truck, and a muscle car, so I certainly didn't need this Jeep.

A week later, its in my driveway. :laugh:

Scuzzy got his name since he so desperately needs a deep cleaning. Step 1 today, Scuzzy got a bath. Over a period of 4 hours, he got a soaking in Mean Green degreaser, then a pressure wash, then cleaning nooks and crannies with a toothbrush, then more scrubbing with a brush and carwash sponge. So much mildew and crud. And that doesn't include the interior. Phase 1 interior cleaning was to attack the glovebox(s) with Meguires foaming cleaner, scrub, shop vac, and repeat several times. The drivers door window got stuck all the way down, so I pulled the door panel off to fix that and in the process vacuumed out the acorns and funk inside there. Other than the drivers side floorboard, it blows my mind how rust free this thing is.

Here's the 1st picture I took of Scuzzy at the junk yard, then a before and after of cleaning progress under the hood. 

I'm new to this whole Jeep thing so I'll be asking questions along the way. 

20200605_130040.jpg

20200620_122608 copy.jpg

Questioning what I circled in green. Is that factory? 2 red wires merging into 1 connector, and then a lose red wire just hanging out on its own. Not sure what it goes to

20200620_162139.jpg

Another 2.5L, awesome and welcome! As for that connection it would be something with AC, I know I have never seen anything like that under the hood of mine. You can always trace the wires and see where it goes. 

Nice looking truck! Will be curious to see why it was in the salvage yard? Looks to nice for that. Welcome to Jeep ownership and enjoy!

Welcome to the madness and addiction that is mj ownership! When I first joined cc I didn't know much and now I know a little but feel smarter so that is a good thing, right? So many knowledgeable people here to help out. That is a great find and hope it wasn't abused in its first life. 

Good luck and keep the updates coming! 

Buck.

Loose red wire is likely to go to an underhood light that yours is missing. 

welcome to the addiction.  :waving:

just a note that tech questions from the OP should really go i the Tech forum where more eyeballs will see them. :L:    not everyone reads the projects forum each day. 

Update: When I first checked it out at the junkyard, it started up fine. Naturally the day I went to pick it up, it wouldnt start. After pushing it on the trailer and dragging it home, the simple fix was to replace the CPS. Once that was replaced along with a new distributor cap/rotor/plug wires, it runs like a champ.

But...before I take it for a test drive, the brakes need some love. Todays task was to rebuild the rear drums with new hardware, wheel cylinders, and shoes. Judging from the old brake shoes, it was way past due. I also put in some new Monroe shocks since the old ones were completely blown out. 

Voa9G6XfcSykAEE3juq-vo5pg_Ia0-Y9sARh_CfH

While replacing the rear hose I discovered a couple of tube nuts that were seized up. No amount of torch heat or penetrating oil would budge them, so I ended up cutting and making new lines from Cunifer. One end goes from the distribution block to the drivers side drum, the other end goes from the hose to the distribution block up near the frame. 

anqleLigQ5i5xJQfnvs5JsHIJs_rn-3rVm1XXhhZ

Nice progress!! Can't wait to see more, good work on the brake lines, I bet you could have gotten a couple of more miles out of those shoes. Wow those were BAD!

So the rear brake lines were resolved by just making new ones. But to replace both front brake hoses, the fittings were just as stuck. Before I started hacking into it, I figured I should try something else.

What you need: MAP torch and a can of canned air like you use to clean computer parts. Also wear eyepro, gloves, and have a way to extinguish a fire just in case. Cut the hose if possible to drain out the brake fluid.

Step 1: Heat the female end with the torch for about 30 seconds. This expands the female end.
Step 2: Quickly grab the canned air, hold it upside down, and dowse the male end for a few seconds. Don't get it on your hands as it will cause frostbite. This shrinks the male end.
Step 3: Immediately put the wrench on and turn.

To my overwhelming excitement, both sides unscrewed so easy like they weren't even finger tight! 
Funny thing, once I froze the brake fitting, the rubber brake hose sounded like a  firecracker (and about 2' from my face) and blew out of the metal fitting. The line was already cut, so i'm not sure why they did that. Hence my reminder to wear eyepro!

20200706_164718.jpg

20200706_165037.jpg

20200706_163912.jpg