SpaceX Astronaut Launch/Splashdown

Dzimm

Hoping the rain will die off. We can see most launches from our house, we aren't close but still cool to be able to see them head towards space, really cool at dusk or night. 

Buck.

^^^^show off:laugh:

Missi and I are planning to be down your way again later on this summer (that is, if Disney decides to open back up again......).  We need to get the 2nd annual FL pow-wow in the planning stages.  I'd actually like to take a day and do the space coast.  We were close to it a couple years ago, stayed on Cocoa Beach pre-cruise, but just didn't have enough time to make a visit worthwhile.

One of my bucket list items was to watch a shuttle launch live/in person.  Too bad that'll never happen (although I did get to see one of the shuttles in person.....Udvar-Hazy museum up here just south of DC has Discovery on display.  One word....incredible

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/space-shuttle-discovery/nasm_A20120325000).

My folks connected a trip to Disney World with the launch of STS-77. This was the one trip to Disney World we took during my childhood and I am so grateful that they incorporated the Shuttle launch with that trip. It was a REALLY early wake up to get to the Cape from Orlando, but SO worth it! I remember talking with people at the launch that were from Europe and they had previously traveled to (hopefully) see two prior launches which ended up being cancelled due to weather. That is when it sunk in how lucky we were to get to see this one on a beautiful day, having driven to Florida from Michigan. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-77

I remember living in Satellite Beach back when I was a kid.  Just 20 miles south of the cape or so.  close enough to hear them.  I got to watch the first shuttle launch from the beach.  That was awesome.

I'm a bit far now so I have to watch it online.

I would love to see a launch, you guys are lucky who live down that way. 

Shuttle was my favorite vehicle we've had so far and unfortunately I also will never get to see one launch although there are plenty of videos to give a little taste.  I did get to see a shuttle somewhere when I was really young but can't remember where it was, need to go see Discovery now that I can actually appreciate it.

They are strapped in but the range condition is "red" for weather:mad:  Final go/no go call is 45 minutes prior to launch (about 30 minutes from now).  I'd rather they scrub out of caution than try to launch into questionable weather.  

Fingers crossed.:usaflag:

32 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

They are strapped in but the range condition is "red" for weather:mad:  Final go/no go call is 45 minutes prior to launch (about 30 minutes from now).  I'd rather they scrub out of caution than try to launch into questionable weather.  

Fingers crossed.:usaflag:

Still red for the weather but they are loading propellant now.  They can still abort all the way up to launch if the weather doesn't clear.  They won't take any chances, sounds like the weather is continuing in the right direction.

2 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Missi and I are planning to be down your way again later on this summer (that is, if Disney decides to open back up again......).

Disney is planning on reopening in mid July, but with a list of caveats and no word I've seen yet on hotels. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Disney is planning on reopening in mid July, but with a list of caveats and no word I've seen yet on hotels. 

Yeah, whole list of crap.  We have reservations to stay on property again (Caribbean Beach), which is good.  I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth it.  The food and wine festival at Epcot is the big draw for us, and it's either gonna be cancelled or have so many restrictions on it that it'll be pointless.  We'll see what happens, we're not going until October (I think).  Alternate vacation plans are our friends in Wilmington, or Jacksonville, or we might just hit OBX this year and say the hell with it all.

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

I think weather conditions are for both the launch and the landing of the Falcon 9 somewhere out in the Atlantic.

Yeah, they have to prepare for a visual if the launch and ascent, plus have a good area available off the coast JIC of an abort and a crash landing.  I would not want to be the guy who had to make the go call on this launch....ill be honest and say I would have made the same call.  Talk about a pressure situation, lol.

When I first moved to Orlando way back in '90 a friend woke me up at 4 am to go see a sunrise launch of the shuttle, we were just across the waterway in Titusville, he said it would be awesome and it seemed that it was halfway to space before I heard it and then felt it in the ground, amazing! 

But I even have a better story! One of my former private drum students became a rocket scientist, yes, really. He texted me four years ago to ask if I was interested in seeing a launch in the VIP section at the Cape. He is on the team for the Osiris Rex project which sent a module to an asteroid and is now on its way back. He got me tickets for the family to see the launch, very impressive. The space shuttle produced much more sound but to see a launch of a rocket from that close was so impressive.

Watching the news today after the scrubbed launch it looked like there was so much traffic to see this launch, I don't know if I want to deal with it trying to get closer than my house, especially since it will probably be this weekend, likely more people.  

Buck. 

Next attempt is Saturday afternoon at 3:22 Eastern time with a follow-up window on Sunday at 3:00 eastern time.  However it sounds like the weather isn't going to be great then either, last I read there is about a 40% chance of being able to launch.

It's annoying but this time of year is tough to launch in because they need good enough weather basically along the entire coast. 

Fingers crossed it goes airborne Saturday.

So stoked to see this go, my brother worked on the capsule program in Hawthorne and we got to see this stuff in person on a tour and its crazy just how massive these rockets are. 

Then seeing it land itself on a drone ship just blows my mind, it's like watching a SciFi movie. 

12 minutes ago, DIRT_NASTYY_ said:

Then seeing it land itself on a drone ship just blows my mind, it's like watching a SciFi movie. 

we're finally living in the future!