eaglescout526

Project: Cruise, a 1960 T-bird.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carb+cleaner+dip&oq=carb+cleaner&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l3.5829j0j7&client=ms-android-uscellular-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=_Dtq5XqSKNdjWtQbk1YioAQ1:0

Get you one of these and let it soak. We have one guy at the dealership that rebuilds carburetors and that always the second step. First step is a rebuild kit and a new float. 

33 minutes ago, jdog said:

What you soaking it with

Right now the engine has almost a whole can of WD40 in the cylinders. Ill tell a bit of history.

22 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carb+cleaner+dip&oq=carb+cleaner&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l3.5829j0j7&client=ms-android-uscellular-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=_Dtq5XqSKNdjWtQbk1YioAQ1:0

Get you one of these and let it soak. We have one guy at the dealership that rebuilds carburetors and that always the second step. First step is a rebuild kit and a new float. 

Yep, seems like the PO got a rebuild kit from a ford dealership(still operating) here back in 2002. So the PO was set on rebuilding the carb as they replaced the points, cap and rotor thinking it was an ignition issue. Seems to be more on the bad head gasket side.

Radiator was full of the same brown crap I found in my MJ. Which isn't a good thing, but who knows. PO has new belts and hoses so hopefully I'm not diving into something bad here.

History-It was in my friends family since new. His moms boyfriend, his grandfather had it since new. It got passed on to his dad, his dad passed away a year and a half ago at 71 and got passed on to the boyfriend. So neat to learn it hasn't been anywhere bad. They did have plans to keep it and do stuff with it but they didn't have the place, nor time or money to do much to it. 

So I'm thinking this motor needs a good soak and it should either move with a big bar or bump the starter to help it.

Throw some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders

Just now, jdog said:

Throw some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders

Ill have to get some but I also thought about ATF too. But I gotta get my grandfather to hush and let me put some stuff down there. 

What his issue with putting oil in the motor?

Just now, jdog said:

What his issue with putting oil in the motor?

Want the long story or the short story?

He is fixated on WD40 being the cure-all to rust. 

So aside from the whole oil thing, I will put some ATF down the cylinders. I am tearing down the carb right now and am discovering it has never been rebuilt and a lot of it is just gummed up and not rusted thank goodness.

Radiator has a hole in it, so letting it soak with vinegar and water mix might end up being pointless. I don think its the original radiator, does not say Ford anywhere.

some things should remain original for originality's sake.

other things should be replaced with a brand spanking new unit. 

I tend to put the radiator in the second category. :D  cooling and brakes should be up to snuff for a driver. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

d brakes should be up to snuff for a driver. 

and the idiots around said driver

I've seen people do ATF in cylinders, but I would also do Marvel mystery oil. Works great! Seen people mix ATF and acetone and put in the cylinders too, but I would just stick with Marvel Mystery Oil.