I'd like to know, insofar as larger tires, airing said tires down for soft terrain offroading, what's the comparison between the original MJ box vs. the ZJ box? Of course, these will all be opinions, and will be considered as such.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:56 PM, AZJeff said:

Now that I have heard the ZJ is superior to the original MJ/XJ box, this interests me too.   I would be interested to hear more of the sucess of those who dropped in a ZJ box in their machine.

I did the ZJ box swap in the 2001 XJ. I wasn't unhappy with it, but I also didn't get an "OH, WOW!" feeling from it, either. The old box had a lot of slop over center, and it was bad enough that it couldn't be adjusted out. The ZJ box eliminated the slop over center. Other than that, to be honest, I didn't think it drove any different than my two 2000 XJs.

The difference in ratio, in practical terms, is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock for the XJ/MJ 14:1 box and 3 turns lock-to-lock for the ZJ 12.7:1 box. That means with the stock box, from straight ahead, you have to turn the steering wheel 1-3/4 turns to hit the steering stop. With the ZJ box, it's 1-1/2 turns. That's just not much of a difference.

If I were buying a new box from Borgeson, I would ask if they can do one in a 10:1 ratio. I would especially ask about that if I had a long wheebase MJ.

17 hours ago, Eagle said:

I did the ZJ box swap in the 2001 XJ. I wasn't unhappy with it, but I also didn't get an "OH, WOW!" feeling from it, either. The old box had a lot of slop over center, and it was bad enough that it couldn't be adjusted out. Thge ZJ box eliminated the slop over center. Other than that, to be honest, I didn't think it drove any different than my two 2000 XJs.

The difference in ratio, in practical terms, is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock for the XJ/MJ 14:1 box and 3 turns lock-to-lock for the ZJ 12.7:1 box. That means with the stock box, from straight ahead, you have to turn the steering wheel 1-3/4 turns to hit the steering stop. With the ZJ box, it's 1-1/2 turns. That's just not much of a difference.

If I were buying a new box from Borgeson, I would ask if they can do one in a 10:1 ratio. I would especially ask about that if I had a long wheebase MJ.

Good to know, thanks.