Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey all, been  along time since ive been on here, good to be back! anyway, i got a buddy selling some king 2.5 air shocks 16" travel. They are massive, but I'm buying them and putting them on my jeep. The ole Comanches about to go to a whole new level. I have to relocate my air box, windshield washer tank, and all my wiring by the battery. I also need uni-body stiffeners so that the shock hoops that will be going up to almost the hood have a strong place to mount. I just ordered Cherokee front uni-body stiffeners from ruff-stuff, and now I am trying to figure out what to do with my stock intake. What is the simplest set up I can do to save the most room, and what lines do i need to plug? Thanks everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I plopped a round carb style assembly on top of my throttlebody.  it's minimal and the whistle from the TB is irritating as all get out.  plus the hood limits the size of filter and I'm pretty sure it has fewer square inches than stock. :(

 

what I plan to do in the future is a filter assembly inside the cowl.  I've seen it done plenty of times.  gets the filter up as high as possible and out of the engine bay's heat.  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I plopped a round carb style assembly on top of my throttlebody.  it's minimal and the whistle from the TB is irritating as all get out.  plus the hood limits the size of filter and I'm pretty sure it has fewer square inches than stock. :(

 

what I plan to do in the future is a filter assembly inside the cowl.  I've seen it done plenty of times.  gets the filter up as high as possible and out of the engine bay's heat.  :D

Ill have to check that out, sounds sleek 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dzimm said:

As Pete mentioned, cowl intakes are super nice and hidden away but the kits are kind of pricey.  I love mine though.  Look up Thor if you are interested in this route.

I like those but after a quick online search looks like they only fit 91 and up. Don’t know what changed in those years, maybe I could still get to work 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jackrabbit41 said:

I like those but after a quick online search looks like they only fit 91 and up. Don’t know what changed in those years, maybe I could still get to work 

I put it in my 90.  I believe the difference to be the firewall/cowl area.  I think the 91+ Jeeps have a deeper cowl area because when I cut the area according to the template, the bottom of the cut was flush with the bottom of the cowl so I had to squish and kind of force the cone filter in the hole because it didn't have extra clearance for the bottom of the filter.  I don't care because it's still sealed and you can't see the slightly squished filter, still worked just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jackrabbit41 said:

Na I don’t want a snorkel and that doesn’t save me any room haha

Thats funny i have enough room to mount 2nd battery and suck cold air and can drive through lakes and all under $20. Go ahead do something pretty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Thats funny i have enough room to mount 2nd battery and suck cold air and can drive through lakes and all under $20. Go ahead do something pretty. 

Well I have a job and get paid well, I also like nice things so I’m gonna go with something reputable lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 8:15 AM, Dzimm said:

I put it in my 90.  I believe the difference to be the firewall/cowl area.  I think the 91+ Jeeps have a deeper cowl area because when I cut the area according to the template, the bottom of the cut was flush with the bottom of the cowl so I had to squish and kind of force the cone filter in the hole because it didn't have extra clearance for the bottom of the filter.  I don't care because it's still sealed and you can't see the slightly squished filter, still worked just fine.

Sorry to revive old post. I recently put a similar intake in my vehicle, what did you do with the small air intake hoses? I believe they connect to the EGR valve - or the part that opens the valve to pull in warm air from the exhaust. Now without the airbox it seems like those are completely useless - did you just cap off the hoses? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, billyblankss said:

Vac Diagram 4.0 Renix

 

@DzimmSpecifically the hoses in the diagram above that go from the vacuum fitting to the airbox and EGR solenoid

My 90 is a 97+ swap truck so I only had the one line from the valve cover.  I didn't have the other vacuum lines to deal with.  

 

You may be able to get away with just capping them but if you can, I'd weld some fittings to the intake tube to connect them to so it doesn't screw something up.  Otherwise you may be able to find some T fittings you could splice in somewhere on the new intake.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest thing is the Renix intake doesn't have the flare for their elbow to latch on, but in the video of the installation they link to they show a guy who buys an adapter to solve that. 

 

The biggest thing i'm looking at is the egr valve is gone for me now. When i cap the hoses it seems like it runs well, i just wanted someone out there to clarify if they did the same thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, billyblankss said:

The biggest thing is the Renix intake doesn't have the flare for their elbow to latch on, but in the video of the installation they link to they show a guy who buys an adapter to solve that. 

 

The biggest thing i'm looking at is the egr valve is gone for me now. When i cap the hoses it seems like it runs well, i just wanted someone out there to clarify if they did the same thing. 

If you are not "using" the EGR valve, then you can remove the vacuum lines from the fitting on the intake and cap the fitting off.  Same if you aren't using the little door for the heated air intake.  Capping off the unused lines won't affect how it runs (although deleting the EGR valve might).

 

Once you delete the EGR and heated air intake hoses, it looks like you are left with the fuel pressure regulator connection at that vacuum fitting.  You could swap the fitting for  one with a single hose connection to clean things up, and not have to worry about a cap eventually dry rotting and falling off, causing a vacuum leak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

My 90 is a 97+ swap truck so I only had the one line from the valve cover. 

The later valve covers still have two lines for crankcase ventilation, one for vacuum (vent) and one for clean air in.  You'll still have two hoses unless you are using a filter right on the valve cover for clean air in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, schardein said:

If you are not "using" the EGR valve, then you can remove the vacuum lines from the fitting on the intake and cap the fitting off.  Same if you aren't using the little door for the heated air intake.  Capping off the unused lines won't affect how it runs (although deleting the EGR valve might).

 

Once you delete the EGR and heated air intake hoses, it looks like you are left with the fuel pressure regulator connection at that vacuum fitting.  You could swap the fitting for  one with a single hose connection to clean things up, and not have to worry about a cap eventually dry rotting and falling off, causing a vacuum leak.

 

 

My man. Thank you this is what I needed. Capped them and seems ok

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, schardein said:

The later valve covers still have two lines for crankcase ventilation, one for vacuum (vent) and one for clean air in.  You'll still have two hoses unless you are using a filter right on the valve cover for clean air in.

It does have two lines coming from the valve cover however only the front one goes to the intake tube, the rear one goes to a fitting on the intake manifold so it isn't affected by removing the airbox.  

 

Glad to see you got yours figured out!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at adapting the 'Power Tech' WJTB hat or Resonator to an XJ. Not sure if to the airfilter box or a K&N type filter. The Power Tech has an oval opening. Seeing how that will adapt somehow. I do have the Thor, but not installed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...