ghetdjc320

Reproduction switch trim covers

3 minutes ago, High2by said:

The Rebels are gonna have to move now, everybody’s gonna know where they are

Good. Our first catch of the day.

24 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Nice, Gjeep made his own also.

Mine will be a bit different than his. I’m not trying to make a sticker that goes onto the switch housing. I am trying to reproduce the original factory version which will be backlit as well. I don’t believe the factory used a “clear coat” over the decal. Instead it was a reverse printed semi transparent plastic. The black portion may have even been a thin vinyl since, if you scratch it, it comes off fairly easily from the back. It was just enough to block out the light from the small bulb behind each symbol. My goal is to reproduce that same effect, down to the texture and the backlighting. The factory also used a small bit of brushed-on translucent paint for the logo probably to lower transparency or change the color of the glow.

Yes, mine will do the same. Backlit, all the fun like factory... Just accomplished differently.

Factory was clear with different colors and layers of paint on the back side.

Nice, Gjeep made his own also.

It keeps telling me I can’t access this thread. Is it because I’m using Tapatalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there's some sort of blue layer in there. The regular incandescent bulbs have a yellowish hue and the symbols show up greenish, if a white LED bulb is used the symbols look blue.

5 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

I think there's some sort of blue layer in there. The regular incandescent bulbs have a yellowish hue and the symbols show up greenish, if a white LED bulb is used the symbols look blue.

Yep, there is a bit of light blue semi-transparent paint brushed on with a small brush behind the symbol/icon. The on/off lettering would glow also if it had a light behind it. I’ll try to recreate the glow to be identical. I’m trying to recreate as close to a factory look as possible. 

31 minutes ago, Gjeep said:

Yes, mine will do the same. Backlit, all the fun like factory... Just accomplished differently.

Factory was clear with different colors and layers of paint on the back side.

Yep, that’s what I’m trying to accomplish, the layered factory version. Did you use vinyl for the decal? Any chance you could snap a picture of the final installed product? It would be awesome to see it with the backlighting too if you could. Thanks! 

I’m just hoping that my .03” thick textured hdpe sheet is thin enough to match factory. I have a feeling the end product may be slightly thicker than factory. 

40 minutes ago, High2by said:

It keeps telling me I can’t access this thread. Is it because I’m using Tapatalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try this one: