Jump to content
KatahGii

23gal VS 18gal Fuel tank

Recommended Posts

I have a 1986 Jeep Comanche X I don’t know the bed length. I need to replace the gas tank and I ordered the only one autozone had and it’s the 23gal. If mine came with the 18 gal will this 23gal fit?

 

edit: fuel tank size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember right, the 23 goes in, but will have an extra strap involved.  but I haven't done it myself, so wait for confirmation from someone else before pulling the trigger. :L: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If I remember right, the 23 goes in, but will have an extra strap involved.  but I haven't done it myself, so wait for confirmation from someone else before pulling the trigger. :L: 

I already bought the tank when I got it in the mail was when I questioned myself. The tank in the Jeep had 3 straps already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1986 only had the longbed, so the 23-gallon tank is correct. The 18-gallon tank is for the shortbed, which didn't come until the 1987 model year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the 23 and 16 are longbed.  18 is shortbed.  :L: 
Correct. My 86 had a 16 for the 2.5.
Wasnt the 23 more ccommon in the 2.8?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 16-gallon tank for the longbeds is the same, 3-strap tank as the 23-gallon tank. It has internal baffles to stop filling at 16-gallons. It was used on the base models with small tires to keep the gross vehicle weight down. AMC did the same thing with the Cherokee.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

Correct. My 86 had a 16 for the 2.5.
Wasnt the 23 more ccommon in the 2.8?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

How many straps did yours have mine has 3 I’m just trying to make sure I got the right tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KatahGii said:

How many straps did yours have mine has 3 I’m just trying to make sure I got the right tank

 

You have the correct tank. Notice in the parts diagram above, both the 16- and 23-gallon tank take (2) #9 straps and (1) #11 rear strap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eagle said:

 

You have the correct tank. Notice in the parts diagram above, both the 16- and 23-gallon tank take (2) #9 straps and (1) #11 rear strap.

Alright thanks. I was just trying to make sure because The old one is crumbling from rust so I was going to rhino line the outside of this new one before putting it in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, Eagle said:

 

You have the correct tank. Notice in the parts diagram above, both the 16- and 23-gallon tank take (2) #9 straps and (1) #11 rear strap.

What are the lengths of the #9 and #11 straps. I bought the straps from autozone and I got a 29.5” and a 32.5” strap (idk why autozone only sells sets of 2 but I tried putting them on since I got the tank out and the new one. But I couldn’t get either to fit in the back same size tank but the straps were both too short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KatahGii said:

What are the lengths of the #9 and #11 straps. I bought the straps from autozone and I got a 29.5” and a 32.5” strap (idk why autozone only sells sets of 2 but I tried putting them on since I got the tank out and the new one. But I couldn’t get either to fit in the back same size tank but the straps were both too short.

 

I can't help there. All my MJs are shortbeds, with two straps.

 

Maybe you need longer J-bolts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...