Pete M

your favorite MJ mods: functionality edition

Doesn't have to be your MJ, but what's your favorite "useful" mod. 

I'm a big fan of the 3/4" plywood I bolted to the rear wall in the cab of my old 88.  I can easily attach all sorts of things to it now, for example the fire extinguisher and first aid kit.  :L: 

no pics of it though.  I covered it with speakerbox fabric so it really doesn't look much different than the normal rear panel.  just use your imagination :D 

LED hood light strip I put under the hood and wired into a factory switch. That’s the only non factory addition I have. Provides a good light all on the engine bay. 

Con: strips crapping out. 

Driving lights. Nice to have some brighter lights on some poorly lit streets. 

My Dakota seat swap, I got a center console, a 3rd seat, and retractable cup holders all in one mod.

My ebay tool box. It's a simple aluminum box that I beefed up with 2 MasterLock hasps.

20191005_073529.jpg.35c26bf1391e6cc9f40b991290d6a0bf.jpg

It provides secure storage for tools and recovery gear outside the cab. It doesn't block my bed rails so I can still run my canopy. And it sits low enough that I can still slide my sleeping deck over it for camping trips.

Basically, it does everything I need an empty friggin' box to do, and it didn't cost $500+. Yes, I'm looking at you, Weather Guard!

Slide in cup holder. 

15704063518666405846630381971524.jpg.8b50f31feb900b42fa2f563c1741dcfe.jpg

It takes a little room from the passenger seat but a car seat still fits.

IMG_20191006_190042171.jpg.54d40042db7f7532458cee2387b950c1.jpg

Cheap, easy, and beats no cup holder. Lol

IMG_20191006_190042171.jpg

Definitely my 5k harbor freight winch on the front hitch. It has quick disconnects in case I want to take it off and it has been VERY handy in pulling people out of my mother's yard when they back into a swampy section during the winter. Also very handy for clearing our bushes in front of my house during renovations.

the custom wooden tailgate i made that turns into a bed extension to hold stuff, its crude and ugly but works very well, if i only had time to sand it and paint it...

Not sure it's necessarily a "mod" but adding the toolbox in the bed was definitely the biggest thing that made the truck useful for me.  Lockable and covered storage is huge for daily use.

it is definitely a mod. :L:  I love mine!  all my offroad gear and spare parts have a permanent waterproof secure storage. 

92686938.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

it is definitely a mod. :L:  I love mine!  all my offroad gear and spare parts have a permanent waterproof secure storage. 

92686938.jpg

Speaking of functionality mods...what's the rail system you got in the bed there?

galvanized Uni-strut (?) channel.  it's super overkill for bungie straps, but has plenty of holes for adjustability.  The C02 tank, towbar, and fire extinguisher (which is rechargeable/refillable and I carry for cleaning off mud, not specifically for fires) are mounted using the uni-strut clamps meant for pipes.

27115578.jpg

edit: found an old image of how I attached it:

22373846.jpg

92686933.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

galvanized uni-stru (?) channel.  it's super overkill for bungie straps, but has plenty of holes for adjustability.  The C02 tank and fire extinguisher are mounted using the uni-strut clamps meant for pipes.

27115578.jpg

edit: found an old image of how I attached it:

22373846.jpg

Can you post a link to the build threads for your trucks? I would like to read more about them. 

never actually made one for the 88. :dunno:  it was built long before we had the comancheclub.com website.  being head of CC, I should probably do that one of these days. :laugh:

46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

never actually made one for the 88. :dunno:  it was built long before we had the comancheclub.com website.  being head of CC, I should probably do that one of these days. :laugh:

:nono:

:roflmao:

come to think of it, I may have started one long ago.  if anyone can find it. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

come to think of it, I may have started one long ago.  if anyone can find it. :dunno:

This one?

nah, that's the new truck.  they were both built as red 88 Pioneers with a 2wd/4.0/stick drivetrain, but that particular one will be staying stock. :L: 

neat.  looks like I made one but only for the later stuff.  :dunno:

4 hours ago, thecodemonk said:

Speaking of functionality mods...what's the rail system you got in the bed there?

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

galvanized Uni-strut (?) channel.

27115578.jpg

My local steel surplus calls them galvanized slotted channel bar.

I had done something similar to a Dakota a few years back.