Picked up this ’97 XJ 2wd several months back and it has moved in front of the MJ builds for now. Super clean, low mileage…bought from a 90 year old retired air force mechanic. Spent more than I wanted to but couldn’t pass it up.

as b 1.jpg

as b 2.jpg

4.0L AW4 LSD 8.25 axle. I’ve currently pulled out the ‘97/’98 year only saddle color interior that I found hideous. I’ve been collecting as many NOS agate (charcoal) interior parts and panels as I can find and I’ve just about got them all. Will be installing ’01 XJ new power heated seats, fog lights, extended idle control, overhead console, etc. All the bells and whistles on the inside.

Stripped interior.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_5113.JPG

For the exterior, I’ve already torn apart/ modified the front and rear suspension with 1” lowered heavy duty custom coils, add-a-leaf, beefy Addcco bars, KYB shocks, and new brakes/ cross-drilled rotors up front. I’m running powder coated black TJ Ravine rims wrapped in big and little BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires (255/60 front; 275/60 rear).

Fr Sway.JPG

HD coils.JPG

Add a leaf.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

Painted suspension.JPG

New Mopar/ Jeep bumpers and body trim have arrived and all the old stuff removed. Will be updating the body badgeing to the brushed chrome of the ‘00/’01 XJ Limited era. And the 4.0L engine is getting the later style U-shaped intake manifiold, Borla header and cat-back exhaust. Should be fun once I’m done as a semi-daily driver.

Yep. A '98 XJ Classic only item. He upgraded them years after buying my '97 Sport. These icon rims were bright silver in later XJ's.

3 hours ago, Gjeep said:

... it has moved in front of the MJ builds for now

NO! 

:peep:

Very clean xj. Where did you source the addcco sway bar? I tried to order one and they told me it was on a permanent back order. 

Super clean XJ … Good choice on the BFG/Ravine tire and wheel combo too.  Ran them on my last XJ and loved them.

I bought the sway bars at SD Springs about 3 months ago. 

9 minutes ago, Gjeep said:

I bought the sway bars at SD Springs about 3 months ago. 

Yeah that’s where I ordered mine too. I tried ordering them about 5 months ago and waited 12 weeks before they refunded my money and told me they were back ordered. Interesting... I wonder if they thought the MJ is different or have different part numbers... oh well good for you!! 

As you know, fronts are the same. Rear is different. 

3 minutes ago, Gjeep said:

As you know, fronts are the same. Rear are different. 

They are definitely the same in the front. I’m not positive but I’m not sure the Comanche came with a rear sway stock. Maybe it was an option? I know the 3 I’ve had haven’t had one. 

No MJ's came with a rear sway bar from the factory. PST (Performance Suspension Technologies) originally made the MJ aftermarket rear sway bar for the short bed only. Addcco purchased this design and now sell it as their own. The bar is nice and beefy but the linkage set up is ridiculous. Has 15" endlinks stacked with 8-10 small bushings on each side that secures to the upper shock mount. I'm sure other endlinks can be used, I just didn't want to deal with it at the time.