Factory cruise control info (91+)

I'll be adding cruise control to my '91 soon. Simple procedure - install the stalk in the steering column and install the actuator in the engine bay. I do have two questions, though.

1. What style of turn signal stalk did the MJs with factory cruise come with? I see two that look like they would fit. One is "fat" and kind of ugly, and one is skinnier like the regular stalks. I don't think it matters, but I'm just curious.

Fat: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19353957-Original-Equipment-Windshield/dp/B01NBIJ825/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=cruise+control+lever&qid=1555170339&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Skinny: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19244690-Original-Equipment-Windshield/dp/B004JBJX8G/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=cruise+control+lever&qid=1555170309&s=gateway&sr=8-12

2. Here is a listing for a NOS actuator with the correct Mopar part number:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-OEM-Mopar-53007954-Cruise-Control-Actuator-Servo-91-96-Jeep-XJ/183250137613

That cable doesn't look right to me at all. It's missing the part that clips to the throttle mechanism and looks way too short to reach. Is there two parts to the cable that runs to the throttle body, or is it just the wrong cable? If someone with factory cruise control (especially if you have a '91 or '92) could post pics of their cruise control cable from the actuator to the throttle body, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I remember trying to find one for my dad's '85 Chevy van. They had a drawer up at the front desk of the wrecking yard with an assortment of GM stalks. There were about a half-dozen different versions in it with cruise control, and none of them matched the one in my dad's van. The cruise control didn't work anyway and I found a better match in one without cruise. 

16 hours ago, Minuit said:

I'll be adding cruise control to my '91 soon. Simple procedure - install the stalk in the steering column and install the actuator in the engine bay. I do have two questions, though.

1. What style of turn signal stalk did the MJs with factory cruise come with? I see two that look like they would fit. One is "fat" and kind of ugly, and one is skinnier like the regular stalks. I don't think it matters, but I'm just curious.

Fat: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19353957-Original-Equipment-Windshield/dp/B01NBIJ825/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=cruise+control+lever&qid=1555170339&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Skinny: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19244690-Original-Equipment-Windshield/dp/B004JBJX8G/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=cruise+control+lever&qid=1555170309&s=gateway&sr=8-12

2. Here is a listing for a NOS actuator with the correct Mopar part number:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-OEM-Mopar-53007954-Cruise-Control-Actuator-Servo-91-96-Jeep-XJ/183250137613

That cable doesn't look right to me at all. It's missing the part that clips to the throttle mechanism and looks way too short to reach. Is there two parts to the cable that runs to the throttle body, or is it just the wrong cable? If someone with factory cruise control (especially if you have a '91 or '92) could post pics of their cruise control cable from the actuator to the throttle body, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

That stalk part number doesn't look familiar.  The Mopar CC kit instructions call out 56004595 for the stalk which can be found on ebay for $15.  I wasn't interested in paying $100 for an on/off switch.  Here's the thing about the stalks -- it seems like they only made stalks with markings for CC+Delay wipers and No CC+No delay wipers.  Couldn't find one with the right markings for CC+No delay wipers.  So if you install a CC stalk without delay wipers, it will still work, but the wiper markings won't be useful. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cruise-Control-Windshield-Wiper-Arm-Lever-Switch-for-Chevy-Truck-Pontiac/371109667956?hash=item5667dc2474:g:gTkAAOSw3qVca8Mt

At the time, Team Cherokee had the best price on OEM actuators.  Looks like they still have some: 

http://teamcherokee.com/cruise-control-vacuum-servo-assembly-oem-cherokee-comanche-1991-1996/

And no that's not the right cable.  I suggest hitting the junkyard to find the right cable because you'll also get the loop bracket that secures the cable to the coolant reservoir.  

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

That stalk part number doesn't look familiar.  The Mopar CC kit instructions call out 56004595 for the stalk which can be found on ebay for $15.  I wasn't interested in paying $100 for an on/off switch.  Here's the thing about the stalks -- it seems like they only made stalks with markings for CC+Delay wipers and No CC+No delay wipers.  Couldn't find one with the right markings for CC+No delay wipers.  So if you install a CC stalk without delay wipers, it will still work, but the wiper markings won't be useful. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cruise-Control-Windshield-Wiper-Arm-Lever-Switch-for-Chevy-Truck-Pontiac/371109667956?hash=item5667dc2474:g:gTkAAOSw3qVca8Mt

At the time, Team Cherokee had the best price on OEM actuators.  Looks like they still have some: 

http://teamcherokee.com/cruise-control-vacuum-servo-assembly-oem-cherokee-comanche-1991-1996/

And no that's not the right cable.  I suggest hitting the junkyard to find the right cable because you'll also get the loop bracket that secures the cable to the coolant reservoir.  

The part numbers for the stalks are GM part numbers, and I just posted them because I had them bookmarked already.

It appears that Jeeps with cruise had the "fat" stalk all of the time with a few different part numbers. Your part number matches my '91 parts manual. I'd really like to get an OEM part if I can help it though. I have intermittent wipers, so no worry there.

The "skinny" one on Amazon looks like it was used in cars, not trucks. I suspect that it would work just fine in a Jeep column but I'm not going to throw almost a hundred bucks at that assumption. I might grab one from the yard and see if it works in my truck just for gits and shiggles. I like the way it looks better, that's the only reason I even brought it up.

Looks like the only correct part on that eBay listing I posted is the actuator itself. I was able to find a picture of an original XJ actuator and the bracket looks completely different. Guess I'm going to have to piece this together after all. Good to know that there's a bracket at the coolant reservoir. Damn, I was hoping to get everything I needed in one or two transactions. Thanks guys.

I added cruise to my 91 after I got it.  I used a actuator from a junkyard 91 XJ, and bought the stalk off ebay.  Cheapest one I could find.  It was like $13 shipped.  It has delay wiper markings, but my non-tilt column does not have delay wipers.  It still works.  I plan to add delay wipers eventually, I have the box, switch (for non-tilt), and a complete tilt column with delay wipers.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 12.28.39 PM.png

Thanks to some quick work by Pete and Kryptronic, I can post more pics.  Here is one of the connection at the TB, overall routing of the cable (with clamp at overflow bottle), and the actuator at the fender.  Yes, I've swapped to the later stamped steel valve cover and later horseshoe style intake manifold.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 12.29.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 12.29.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 12.29.47 PM.png

• 2 months later...

Closure!

Here's the stalk I purchased. It's whatever Dorman one the person at the parts store decided to give me. I have no doubt that the writing on it will wear quickly, but OEM is still available once that happens. The wire is exactly the right length to mate with the connector on the jeep (will post a pic of it later) and the stalk fits perfectly into my tilt column. I decided that partially disassembling the column was the easiest way to install it, not having an old one to use as a pulling aid. I don't have proof, but I think any stalk that has this connector will correctly operate the cruise control:

51n8ERHWf5L._SL1000_.jpg.f552a014e954921ac09afe566ba0f83f.jpg

6WXCNdcl.jpg

5QwDra0l.jpg

The actuator came from a 1995 XJ. It fit perfectly and the connector was correct. Mine was missing the elbow where it connects to the vacuum tee, but I found an exact match in an assortment at the parts store.

The actuator mounts to the passenger inner fender. If your vehicle did not come with factory cruise, the locations are marked by three divots in the metal. The factory screws were self-tappers. I believe they are #10 sheet metal screws. I've already drilled two of the three mounting holes in this picture. I don't have a small right-angle drill, so I removed the battery, PDC and coolant bottle to get enough room to run the self-tappers into the three divots.

YSKTR1Ml.jpg

The bracket and cable are removable from the actuator by removing a pair of 10mm nuts from the actuator body. The cable is connected to the actuator with a small metal clip like you might see on a lawnmower or trailer hitch. The bracket must be installed on the actuator before you attach the cable. My bracket looked very crusty, so I removed it to paint. This is my first attempt at doing a base+clear paintjob on a small part like this, and I think it looked excellent. Hopefully it will look good for a long time.

disLvNMl.jpg

Completed installation:

J6gh9Mll.jpg

The cruise control works right out of the box as soon as you plug the actuator and stalk in (HO only). A very welcome upgrade for long drives, and one more factory option box ticked off.

56 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Closure!

Here's the stalk I purchased. It's whatever Dorman one the person at the parts store decided to give me. I have no doubt that the writing on it will wear quickly, but OEM is still available once that happens. The wire is exactly the right length to mate with the connector on the jeep (will post a pic of it later) and the stalk fits perfectly into my tilt column. I decided that partially disassembling the column was the easiest way to install it, not having an old one to use as a pulling aid. I don't have proof, but I think any stalk that has this connector will correctly operate the cruise control:

51n8ERHWf5L._SL1000_.jpg.f552a014e954921ac09afe566ba0f83f.jpg

The toughest part was figuring out what in the hell that flat spade connector plugs into.  I must have overlooked the female connector 5 or 6 times.  Looks different than you might expect. 

And the factory installation instructions say to use piano wire to fish that cable through the column, but you can also just straighten a clothes hanger, tape the wire to it and push it down the column.  No disassembly needed. 

15 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

And the factory installation instructions say to use piano wire to fish that cable through the column, but you can also just straighten a clothes hanger, tape the wire to it and push it down the column.  No disassembly needed. 

Really? I was able to just feed mine through the column with no issues. 

34 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Clarification: I would not suggest the average Jeep owner take their column apart to install a cruise stalk. This isn't the first time I've been inside the Saginaw steering column. I'm quick enough at taking these apart and putting them back together (and I have all of the tools for them) that I thought it'd be easier to do this than to mess around with any other way. This way I could also make definitely sure that the cruise wire goes exactly where it's supposed to - directly below the highbeam actuator. Also, my stalk has a very large connector on it that pretty much made it impossible to fish it down through the column, even when the column was partially disassembled. I had to sand the connector down a little bit to even get it between the column body and the highbeam actuator. Thanks Dorman.

Connector inside jeep:

0bTcXaCl.jpg

6oyCEmjl.jpg

Cable:

ZJUYj7Kl.jpg

Shiny bracket:

S9yYZ9Ml.jpg

Bracket at coolant bottle:

OVOVMOGl.jpg

I’m going to have to add this to my to do list.

from what I gather, purchase a stalk, install and plug it in, get the actuator and plumb it into vacuum system, bracket and cable need to be sourced used? Is this a complete parts list or did I miss anything?

1 hour ago, TexanEliminator said:

I’m going to have to add this to my to do list.

from what I gather, purchase a stalk, install and plug it in, get the actuator and plumb it into vacuum system, bracket and cable need to be sourced used? Is this a complete parts list or did I miss anything?

- Stalk: junkyard, aftermarket, or genuine. It's essentially a GM part after all - I think as long as it has the connector I showed in the picture, it'll work. The only complication is fishing it down the column. The stalk I used had a large molded connector. I think the one with the wires soldered directly onto the connector would be much easier to install.

- Actuator: junkyard or genuine NOS - May come with bracket, cable, and vacuum line. If not, you'll need to source these components. 1991 P/N for the actuator is 53007954. Make sure it has the bracket and cable that I show or it won't work. Worst case, you can swap those parts out but you'd rather not. I'll be swapping out my dingy old actuator for a new, shiny one at some point in the future. Make sure the actuator has no damage - it's a vacuum diaphragm in there and it won't work if there is damage.

Even on non-cruise vehicles, the wiring and vacuum tee for the system is present. There is a cap on the vacuum tee where the line to the actuator connects. There will be a 4-pin flat connector in the vicinity of where the actuator lives. My truck was pre-wired for it so I assume all '91 and '92 MJs are. You will have to drill the three divots in the inner fender, but they are punched out so it's a foolproof process.

Clarification for anyone who wanders in here: this process (and all of this discussion) is applicable for HIGH OUTPUT VEHICLES ONLY. Renix cruise control has a separate outboard computer and VSS connected to the speedometer cable as well as a bunch of other crap. I don't know how much of what's needed on Renix vehicles is provided, but I get the impression that it's nowhere near plug and play.

35 minutes ago, Minuit said:

- Stalk: junkyard, aftermarket, or genuine. It's essentially a GM part after all - I think as long as it has the connector I showed in the picture, it'll work. The only complication is fishing it down the column. The stalk I used had a large molded connector. I think the one with the wires soldered directly onto the connector would be much easier to install.

- Actuator: junkyard or genuine NOS - May come with bracket, cable, and vacuum line. If not, you'll need to source these components. 1991 P/N for the actuator is 53007954. Make sure it has the bracket and cable that I show or it won't work. Worst case, you can swap those parts out but you'd rather not. I'll be swapping out my dingy old actuator for a new, shiny one at some point in the future. Make sure the actuator has no damage - it's a vacuum diaphragm in there and it won't work if there is damage.

Even on non-cruise vehicles, the wiring and vacuum tee for the system is present. There is a cap on the vacuum tee where the line to the actuator connects. There will be a 4-pin flat connector in the vicinity of where the actuator lives. My truck was pre-wired for it so I assume all '91 and '92 MJs are. You will have to drill the three divots in the inner fender, but they are punched out so it's a foolproof process.

Clarification for anyone who wanders in here: this process (and all of this discussion) is applicable for HIGH OUTPUT VEHICLES ONLY. Renix cruise control has a separate outboard computer and VSS connected to the speedometer cable. I don't know how much of what's needed on Renix vehicles is provided, but I get the impression that it's nowhere near as plug and play.

You’re a gentleman and a scholar sir. Thank you. That’s the only creature comfort I’m still needing in my Comanche.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

Renix cruise control has a separate outboard computer and VSS connected to the speedometer cable. I don't know how much of what's needed on Renix vehicles is provided, but I get the impression that it's nowhere near as plug and play.

Actually. Installing Cruise on Renix is more involved than this. You need the "computer", VSS, Wiring harness, cruise control speedo upper and lower cables, Servo, Servo cable for either 4.0 or 2.5, mounting bracket to the firewall, stalk, vacuum harness for cruise, football vacuum cannister or another cannister, brake switch, vacuum dump valve bracket for either manual or auto. That's a lot of crap for just Renix. Took me about a month or so to source parts, figure it all out and install it.

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Actually. Installing Cruise on Renix is more involved than this. You need the "computer", VSS, Wiring harness, cruise control speedo upper and lower cables, Servo, Servo cable for either 4.0 or 2.5, mounting bracket to the firewall, stalk, vacuum harness for cruise, football vacuum cannister or another cannister, brake switch, vacuum dump valve bracket for either manual or auto. That's a lot of crap for just Renix. Took me about a month or so to source parts, figure it all out and install it.

Geez, guess my '89 won't ever see cruise control in its life then. Ouch.