Timing it just right!

saveevryjp1998

Lol this seems to be a problem with my fiance as well..  my mother does the same thing.  

I've always been tempted to put black tape over the bottom half of the fuel gauge and write an E where half a tank is.  I still think she'd drive until the gas light came on.

I think I have told the story of when my brother was service manager at a BMW dealer some years ago. A new BMW came into the shop on a wrecker. The owner -- a woman -- said "It just stopped." A quick check indicated that it was out of gas, which my brother related to the owner.

"That's impossible," she said, "The computer said I still had 3.4 miles to go." :doh:

my old minivan still squeaked out 20 miles after it said 0 to go.  I tested that on more than one occasion coming back from class at Wayne State. :D  I've got nothing against Detroit in general, but I'll be damned if I'm ever going to stop for gas in it.  :crazy:

I got an extra 30miles out of my V6 accord when it said 0Miles.  Still had 1.3gallons in it! 

My old 2.4 Accord would have the light pop on when it used 12 gallons- I managed to get from Maryland to southern VA after the light popped on (and still had 3 gallons left!  why would Honda put an 18gallon tank in that?)

Jeep ran out at 1/4.  

My wife is ultra paranoid about running out of gas, like to the point of annoyance.  If we're driving and get below 1/2 tank she starts getting worried and looking for a gas station.  Blame for that goes directly to her father, who told her when she started driving that he never wanted to get called if 1) she got a flat tire, or 2) if she ever ran out of gas.  Any other roadside "emergency" was ok to call about but those 2 things, because she should know how to change a flat and how to look at a gas gauge.  To this day, it still sticks in her head, which isn't such a bad thing.  LOL.

I try not to get below 1/4 tank in anything I'm driving, if it can be helped.

(and knock on wood, I've never had a flat tire to this day.  Some low ones, some leaking, but have never had one go flat while driving)