Sign in to follow this  
NEO auto

Hit a big puddle, Truck won't start.

I hit a big puddle while driving on the road.  My truck was fine at first, but then started to lose power.  About a mile later, it really started to lose power.  Eventually, it just started shaking, on the verge of turning off.  I started it today and it had a rough idle.  Now I can't even get it to turn over.

Does anyone know what could be the issue?  I am afraid the water is trapped, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

do the headlights come on?  is the air filter dry? 

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

do the headlights come on?  is the air filter dry? 

Headlights come on, air filters seems dry.  

When you say it doesn't turn over, that means the starter won't turn the engine. If that's the case, either the starter packed it in. They don't always like getting wet. That or water did get into the engine and screwed some stuff up.

The air intake is just behind the driver's side headlight. But unless you had water over the hood it's unlikely you sucked enough up to do damage to the engine, and generally if that does happen the engine will quit right away, because water isn't the easiest to compress. 

I'm going to assume you mean the engine just won't fire, in which case yeah, the distributor getting muddy water in it is a likely candidate.

53 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

When you say it doesn't turn over, that means the starter won't turn the engine. If that's the case, either the starter packed it in. They don't always like getting wet. That or water did get into the engine and screwed some stuff up.

The air intake is just behind the driver's side headlight. But unless you had water over the hood it's unlikely you sucked enough up to do damage to the engine, and generally if that does happen the engine will quit right away, because water isn't the easiest to compress. 

I'm going to assume you mean the engine just won't fire, in which case yeah, the distributor getting muddy water in it is a likely candidate.

Just examined the distributor to see if there was any muddy water, not a drop.  I looked where the rotor is too and didn't see any water.