Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MJPeabody88

Popped my Jeep-cherry

Recommended Posts

First time ever wrenching on a Jeep. Even though it’s something as simple as a new valve cover gasket, I’m smiling from ear to ear. Even while fighting the bolt closest to the firewall. This Comanche is my first Jeep I’ve ever owned. Now, I’m hooked. Love the platform. Everything about it is awesome and to have gotten lucky on one in such condition makes it even better. Restoration is super slight. Looking under the truck I found only one spot of rust on the bottom floor pan the size of a baby’s fist. Gosh I’m so freakin excited to work on this thing. Can’t wait to go out in the ocean to go scalloping. I’m going to order a crap ton of parts and buy a donor for the 4x4 swap. Glad to be apart of a forum with great advice and other members who understand that your a noob and don’t knock you down about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under the valve cover looks pretty grimy. Would running seafoam in the oil take care of cleaning up the gunk or is there another option you’ve had good results with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJPeabody88 said:

Under the valve cover looks pretty grimy. Would running seafoam in the oil take care of cleaning up the gunk or is there another option you’ve had good results with?

 

Plug the oil gallery return holes with pieces of rag, and clean out as much gunk as you can manually. Then spray liberally with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and sop up as much of the remaining gunk as you can with soft rags. THEN remove the plugs, replace the valve cover, and run it with a can of Seafoam.

 

IMHO you don't want to just start running Seafoam. Think about it -- the Seafoam will dissolve or dislodge a bunch of ugly stuff. Where's that stuff going to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagle said:

 

Plug the oil gallery return holes with pieces of rag, and clean out as much gunk as you can manually. Then spray liberally with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and sop up as much of the remaining gunk as you can with soft rags. THEN remove the plugs, replace the valve cover, and run it with a can of Seafoam.

 

IMHO you don't want to just start running Seafoam. Think about it -- the Seafoam will dissolve or dislodge a bunch of ugly stuff. Where's that stuff going to go?

I agree. You don't want to break a big piece of sludge free and end up having it clog up an oil passage in the engine. Get all of the big stuff out by hand and then use a cleaner in the oil for everything else. Of course, the best fix would be to take a time machine back to the 80s and change the oil on time, but unfortunately we can't do that. :laugh:

 

By the way, a u-joint and a deep well 7/16" socket (or a regular socket + extension) makes that back valve cover bolt easy pickings :L:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Careful when you put the valve cover back on. Torque spec for the bolts is something like 7 lb-ft which isn't all that much more than snug. You don't want to crank them down, as it'll warp your valve cover and probably cause worse leaks than you started out with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave the valve cover a good 2 + hour scrubbing. The oil residue was terrible!!! Shes definitely going to get some well deserved attention.

I did notice It didn’t take much to loosen the bolts to the valve cover. Half a turn then loosened by hand. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's the residue on the upper side of the head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MJPeabody88 said:

I did notice It didn’t take much to loosen the bolts to the valve cover. Half a turn then loosened by hand. 

 

Normal.  Tighten back down to the same torque spec.  I think it's 12 ft/lbs, but don't quote me on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kryptronic said:

 

Normal.  Tighten back down to the same torque spec.  I think it's 12 ft/lbs, but don't quote me on that.

 

Any help is greatly appreciate!!! Figured 7-12 would be a good range of play. So used to work on my Diesel engine. Easy to over tighten without a torque wrench. Might as well get my daughter to tighten them for me. Hahaha!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, Eagle said:

How's the residue on the upper side of the head?

 

 

Sorry didn’t see your comment but it’s a thin layer of grim. No huge chunks. Thought of introducing a little seafoam at a time. I always start the truck and let it run a few times a week. Drop the oil and change it periodically as intended. Worse comes to worse, I plan on Getting a good donor Cherokee with a fresher motor and drivetrain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...