• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I wouldve sourced a new bell, honestly. When my trans blew it ripped the bell clean into pieces. Who knows if that bell once fixed will be able to handle the torque of the 4.0L. 

I was assured it will be fine, we have taken some measure already to make sure that the crack won’t spread, and a shop that builds driveshafts will be handling the repair. I probably would have sourced a new one if I could have found one in my area though. 

Just now, 89 MJ said:

I was assured it will be fine, we have taken some measure already to make sure that the crack won’t spread, and a shop that builds driveshafts will be handling the repair. I probably would have sourced a new one if I could have found one in my area though. 

Could've hit me up. I am sure AMC salvage has a few laying around that I could've snagged one for ya. But I'll voice my concern and just say I wouldn't trust repaired aluminum, especially after something that looks like the San Andreas fault.  But that's me, if you have complete faith in their craft then that is perfect by all means. 

• 2 weeks later...

Engine and transmission have been mated together. The current engine will come out of the truck when I park it for the winter to start the swap. I would start it now, but its my fair weather daily driver.

I also ordered some 4 hole fuel injectors to go on the new motor. At this point I'm just waiting for the county to spray the salt solution crap on the roads, then she will be coming all the way apart.

Turns out, the climate control switch thing went bad. I swapped it with an extra that I had. I also swapped in a radio (circa about 2002, no, it did not remove a stock radio from the truck) that works. It's gonna have tunes! I'm excited.

Update, heat works great. Now I'm not getting power to the radio. I'm not going to fix it though, because I'm probably buying a Minuit radio and I'm going to pull it off of the roads for the winter soon.

13 minutes ago, scguy said:

I can't remember if I've told you this or not, but I absolutely love everything about your Comanche. Blue MJs are best MJs. 

Thank you! I am wishing I didn't put the front bumper on though. I hate that I cut the front fenders.

This truck keeps getting less and less for sale the more I drive it. They make great daily drivers. I am thinking that possibly this winter or next spring I might get a set of rock sliders for it and I want to pick up a topper so I will be able to do some overlanding/camping with it.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, 89 MJ said:

I hate that I cut the front fenders.

I did the same things years ago and regretted it everyday after. Eventually I just put a set of uncut flares on it along with the front valance and factory bumper. This is prior to paint but you can barely tell:

DCBEDB33-6894-496C-8C4C-9788C34FA69E.jpeg.d98dc191bdcec71da65693008fc775f6.jpeg

With the bumper pushed all the way in the gap closed up between the flare and the bumper cap. 

19 minutes ago, neohic said:

I did the same things years ago and regretted it everyday after. Eventually I just put a set of uncut flares on it along with the front valance and factory bumper. This is prior to paint but you can barely tell:

DCBEDB33-6894-496C-8C4C-9788C34FA69E.jpeg.d98dc191bdcec71da65693008fc775f6.jpeg

With the bumper pushed all the way in the gap closed up between the flare and the bumper cap. 

Looks good. I might need to do that. 

Welp. It looks like the original motor has all but given up. I’ve kept oils in it, it got new rod bearings (it was a temp fix), and a new oil pump last year. Today I start it and the oil light it on. I think the rod bearings finally let go. 

Oh well, I’m going to keep driving it until she dies or they salt the roads. Then it’s time for upgrades. 

Just now, Jesse Johnson said:

why can't you drive it in the winter?

I have too much time and money in it to drive in the salt and snow. And now the motor gave up (but I have an extra one ready to drop in). I am low key on the hunt for one to use year round though.

1 minute ago, Jesse Johnson said:

ahh I see. that sucks. I'm so glad they sand our roads here. 

It does suck. They like to use a salt solution liquid that the spray on the road. It is absolutely terrible on vehicles around here. They will also spray the roads well into March and sometimes early April because if they don't use all of the money for the salt, they won't get that much next year, so they go out and waste it on roads where there is no snow or ice.

• 89 MJ changed the title to 89 Sportruck