I recently picked up an 86 Renix 2.5 TBI MJ from a local farmers, who said he couldn't get it to run right. Almost instantly, I noticed that there were a few connectors not connected to anything, a lot of butt connectors, and that Haynes/Chilton made a terrible diagram for this specific engine. I was wondering if anybody had any pictures of the wiring/ could help to ID some of these stragglers.

Okay, that explains a few of the connectors, but there's one, by the ignition module, and I don't know if it is supposed to connect to the male spade terminal on the coil or if it is an unused connector like some of the others. I've tried attaining spark with and without this wire connected to the coil, and have had no luck.

1552523129395845835568.jpg

Ignition module only has two connectors. One is a 3 pin and the other is a 2 pin. Loss of spark can be caused by a faulty Crank Position Sensor (CPS).

7 minutes ago, JustaValiantguy said:

Okay, that explains a few of the connectors, but there's one, by the ignition module, and I don't know if it is supposed to connect to the male spade terminal on the coil or if it is an unused connector like some of the others. I've tried attaining spark with and without this wire connected to the coil, and have had no luck.

Does the wire have a flat connector and is a red wire? If so that for the optional under hood light. It does not plug into that spade on the coil. Don't know what that's for. For no spark / start I would check the Crankshaft Position Sensor on top of the transmission bell housing on the drivers side. See if the sensor is dirty and putting out the right voltage.

That was one of the first things that I checked, and, even finding that it looked okay, still replaced it under warranty (because that's what having friends at a parts store can do, apparently), and I still don't have spark. Good grounds, new coil, tested module, and confirmed good wires via ohming them out. And the two pin connector is depinned on the "a" side.

If CPS is assumed good, the injector within the throttle body should spray fuel. Does it? Two pin (C214_A) should be empty. C214_B goes to the ECU for timing control.

59 minutes ago, JustaValiantguy said:

1552523129395845835568.jpg

That green wire needs to go to the starter relay. Does the relay have an open spade?

All spades are filled on the relay, and this wire is in the loom going the other direction. It comes from what I assume is C103_B. Haven't tested for fuel yet, have to drive into town and grab some so I can test that

15525960497501019666200.jpg

C103 is a inline connector (Engine harness to Engine Control harness) and C103_B (RED) goes to fuse link G.

10 hours ago, JustaValiantguy said:

All spades are filled on the relay, and this wire is in the loom going the other direction. It comes from what I assume is C103_B. Haven't tested for fuel yet, have to drive into town and grab some so I can test that

15525960497501019666200.jpg

I put some thought into it and I think that plug is for the oil pressure switch or sensor.