Got a problem with my 88 MJ 4.0. It idles rough with with smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. Smells like gas But give it gas it runs good only runs rough while idling . I have checked all the vacuum lines. Did a complete tuneup. Clean the injectors. Replace the idler control, map sensor. Took the Val cover off  and check to see if the Val’s are sticking they are working good. Any deals what could be wrong. What I need to check next...

Could be leaky injector(s). Check fuel pressure. Gauge should hold pressure after cycling KEY ON, then KEY OFF.

I did have a leaky fuel enjector. I replace the seals, but it still idling rough. I’ll check the EGR next. Thanks for the replies.

I check that holes. It’s good. Just wondering does it go in the top hole are the bottom hole on the back of the Throttle Body. 

If all else fails, has your throttle body been cleaned recently and if so, was the idle air control port cleaned. I can’t really remember how the throttle body is setup on the remix. 

15525191282497172050719167706315.jpg.bfd6a072d42aaa371604c629545cd415.jpgThe MAP hose goes in the bottom. The top is blocked off.

Let me check my Map hole. I’ll let y’all know. Thanks.