Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've done a fair bit or searching, both on this forum and the internet in general, but haven't come to a clear conclusion.

 

Is it normal for plug wires to shock you if touched or arc when sprayed with water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely on the shock when touched.

 

I don't think they should arc if sprayed, but I'm not certain about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

I've done a fair bit or searching, both on this forum and the internet in general, but haven't come to a clear conclusion.

 

Is it normal for plug wires to shock you if touched or arc when sprayed with water?

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just put on Taylor wires and I can touch them while it's running and don't get shocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

Can you post a video of you doing this?

You get shocked when you pay $12 for cheap S---. 

 

 

xZdTaZY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been shocked by wires when grabbing near the boot on the plug side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2MM no shock.

Try the boots right next to the spark plugs.  It may just be a symptom of older or cheaper wires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So. . .

 

1. Arcing is not normal under any circumstance.

 

2. Cheap/poorly insulated wires will/can shock you, but could be considered normal.

 

3. High end/well insulated wires will neither arc or shock. 

 

What makes the taylor wires so special? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

So. . .

 

1. Arcing is not normal under any circumstance.

 

2. Cheap/poorly insulated wires will/can shock you, but could be considered normal.

 

3. High end/well insulated wires will neither arc or shock. 

 

What makes the taylor wires so special? 

There's nothing special about them just 8MM silicone wires that are decently affordable. $33 for good wires!

 

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Try the boots right next to the spark plugs.  It may just be a symptom of older or cheaper wires.

No shock at the boot either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

So. . .

 

1. Arcing is not normal under any circumstance.

 

2. Cheap/poorly insulated wires will/can shock you, but could be considered normal.

 

3. High end/well insulated wires will neither arc or shock. 

 

What makes the taylor wires so special? 

If they shock you they are arcing........the very definition of arcing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done a ton of reading regarding plug wires and i found some that I am considering.  My situation is a bit different than most of you guys since the Holley injection and dual sync distributor seem to be very sensitive to RFI. The brand is Magnecore and they aren't cheap. They claim to have virtually no energy leakage. I will find a link and post it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Read-

 

And expensive does not equate to quality. 

 

 

 

 

That has got to be so frustrating. You spend big bucks and get crap.

 

But your saying that if any plug wire, cheap or expensive, shocks you it should be considered bad and replaced, right?

 

I've been hit by them just once before and don't want to experience that again. How do you test the integrity of plug wires? I should ask, what is a better way of testing plug wires than just spraying water on them?

 

It seems touching them is the ultimate test, but I REALLY don't wanna do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

 

 

That has got to be so frustrating. You spend big bucks and get crap.

 

But your saying that if any plug wire, cheap or expensive, shocks you it should be considered bad and replaced, right?

 

I've been hit by them just once before and don't want to experience that again. How do you test the integrity of plug wires? I should ask, what is a better way of testing plug wires than just spraying water on them?

 

It seems touching them is the ultimate test, but I REALLY don't wanna do that.

What I'm saying is shop for quality, quality, quality, quality. 

 

I want an AGM battery, I won't buy for a while but I'm shopping now. I'll likely go with X2 from Batteries Plus, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Quality. 

 

Taylor is a good wire, I looked at Taylor but DUI makes the only truly fitted wire for the 2.5 and they have the 'heat shield' built in, they feel of quality. Good wire. 

 

Just because Accel sells a $100 set of wires does not make Accel a quality wire. 

 

 

Most guys, you'll read it here over and over.........go for store-brand cheap S--- and get screwed every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

 

 

That has got to be so frustrating. You spend big bucks and get crap.

 

But your saying that if any plug wire, cheap or expensive, shocks you it should be considered bad and replaced, right?

 

I've been hit by them just once before and don't want to experience that again. How do you test the integrity of plug wires? I should ask, what is a better way of testing plug wires than just spraying water on them?

 

It seems touching them is the ultimate test, but I REALLY don't wanna do that.

Oh yea, if you get shocked they should be considered bad. A good way to check wires to is pull your truck into a totally dark spot and with it running pop the hood. You will most likely see a lot of arcing  across where the wires touch metal. Look around where they plug onto the spark plugs. I held 3 of mine in my palm and they glowed green. I was shocked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 No, I swear. It was really weird. They were arcing all over the place. If you read my build thread you can see the problems I was having. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a screwdriver with a wire attached to it and grounded to the other side like making a test light. Run it up and down your wires and watch it arc. Oh please wear gloves. It's cool was shown this in automotive class 20 years ago

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently spent a fair bit of time touching plug wires with my engine running and never once did I feel even a tingle. If I ever got zapped by a plug wire it would be replaced immediately. Maybe I'm just a little weeny, but I don't mess around with that stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...