found a distruaght 86 MJ, what should I do

On 2/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, Dzimm said:

Didn't the 231 come out with the XJ? I thought that was in all the XJs and assumed it carried into the MJ.

You are right about the 207 dana transfer case, jury is still out on the transmission,  but I think it is bad, won't shift right.

Be sure to save the rear flares. The fronts are the same as for a Cherokee, and those are available new on the aftermarket. The MJ rear flares are unique, and are NOT available. Save the backing plates, too -- the studs will almost certainly break off, but there are ways to repair that.

In fact, if they're solid and if you have the body work skills, it would be great if you could save the complete rear quarters.

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

they ripped out the FI for a carb?  people are weird.  :dunno: 

13 minutes ago, Submariner said:

This was a carbed engine.   Piping was cutup pretty bad,

No your truck is TBI. I remembered a picture of your truck from a wanted post about the 2.5Litre steering

606AE5FA-65E9-4404-B7A1-02A913FC8288.jpeg.40b04ad2ce90336e258c3740dfc67a60.jpeg

That being said I am interested in the throttle body assembly. 

8 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

No your truck is TBI. I remembered a picture of your truck from a wanted post about the 2.5Litre steering

606AE5FA-65E9-4404-B7A1-02A913FC8288.jpeg.40b04ad2ce90336e258c3740dfc67a60.jpeg

That being said I am interested in the throttle body assembly. 

nope this was the engine.   that is the way it was when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.   Looks like a single barrel carb.  the power steering pump and steering box is gone now and the alternator.

I got a guy wanting to look at it for the block.  can they put a FI head on a carborted block?

16 minutes ago, Submariner said:

nope this was the engine.   that is the way it was when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.   Looks like a single barrel carb.  the power steering pump and steering box is gone now and the alternator.

I got a guy wanting to look at it for the block.  can they put a FI head on a carborted block?

Looks to me like the original throttle body injection. There were no carbureted 4-cylinder Comanches. The Comanche came out in 1986, and Jeep only used carburetors on the 2.5L engine in 1984 and 1985. Look again -- it it really is a carburetor, then the engine has been swapped in.

11 hours ago, Submariner said:

OK,  I have a guy that is coming here ofr the block today.  if he does not want the throttle body/intake then it is yours.  What will you give me for it?

• 2 weeks later...