found a distruaght 86 MJ, what should I do

$350 for it,   This is a parts truck, salvage only.  1986 MJ It has a I-4 and 5 sp(that is locked up). tag say 3.54 gears on the dana 35, no tag on the front axle.

Long bed, good tailgate and tail lights.  Good hood, bad doors, so-so grill

The Interior is gone, steering column is still good, 210k miles on it.  maybe the bucket seat are OK, maybe.

Has Ford Ranger wheels on it.  if-fy tires, drivers side has been in the ditch, bed is not to banged up.

Has the brush guard under the front of the radiator to protect the front of the engine.

I was thinking of getting it for parts for my 88 MJ.

I will also have to pay a wrecker to bring it home.

So what do you think?

What's locked up? engine or trans?

There is probably value there- would be nice to see pics though. 

Bed $450

TG   $75

Drip rails $40

Vent covers $40

Tail lights $150

TC $150

Front axle $150

TB $100

Etc.....

Guess you have to know what's what and what's what worth. 

I'd agree with the above.  Definitely try to get it a little cheaper but take it either way.  Could make over half your money back on the tailgate and lights alone. 

Not sure where you are but if parts aren't rusty (cab corners, bed, ECT.), even if they are beat up, will sell to us in the rust belt.  I myself would take some cab corners if the price is right.

$350 for it,   This is a parts truck, salvage only.  1986 MJ It has a I-4 and 5 sp(that is locked up). tag say 3.54 gears on the dana 35, no tag on the front axle.
Long bed, good tailgate and tail lights.  Good hood, bad doors, so-so grill
The Interior is gone, steering column is still good, 210k miles on it.  maybe the bucket seat are OK, maybe.
Has Ford Ranger wheels on it.  if-fy tires, drivers side has been in the ditch, bed is not to banged up.
Has the brush guard under the front of the radiator to protect the front of the engine.
I was thinking of getting it for parts for my 88 MJ.
I will also have to pay a wrecker to bring it home.
So what do you think?
Either way I see it as a good investment. Get it running, fix it up and sell it for ten times what others didn't want to pay $350 for it. Keep the old Jeeps alive I say...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

OK,  i bought the 86 mj for $300. A wrecker towed it home for $75.  here are some pictures  It ain't pretty.   has a 2.5  engine, the owner said it was a 5 sp,  I question it.  has Comandtreac the tailgate.  Not sure about commandtrac, what is it?

20190213_144641.jpg

20190213_144731.jpg

20190213_144747.jpg

20190213_144759.jpg

20190213_144655.jpg

20190213_144904.jpg

20190213_145005.jpg

Has 3.54 gears in it.  have not checked the condition on the inside yet.

So what is the comand trac?  I have heard of it but don't know what it does?

And yes that is the ground you are looking at in the interior pictures.  bed is pretty solid.  Almot thinking of making a trailer out of the bed.

Tailgate and taillights are in good shape

not the rear bumper

has a slasp sheild under the raditor

not sure what kind of wheels it has but the tires are ok.  street tires

passenger door is no good 

Interior is gone 

Windshield may be salvage if I can get it out without breaking it.   back slider is a toss whether it will survive or not.

Dana 35 in the back and 30 in the front.

Commandtrac is the more common part time 4wd (NP231) transfer case.

Selectrac is the full time 4wd (NP228/NP242) transfer case.  The NP242 came out in 1987 so an 86 MJ with Selectrac would have the older NP228 case.

The frame is pretty good from the back of the cab back,  bed is been bent in a few spots.  I thought about doing that.  I was gong to put this ones tailgate on my MJ and use my old one on this one.   Right now I am trying to decide where to cut apart to save of the cab.  Someone suggested the corners which these are good, just not sure where to cut and how far up and forward.  The noise of the truck is good, it just under the seat that is gone on the drivers side  frame and all is toast in that area.  and the transmission I beleive is gone to.   I have a 207 dana transfer case that seems ok.

20190216_142514.jpg

20190216_142454.jpg

20190216_142436.jpg