what movie would you like to see again for the first time?

Pete M

The first James Bond movie:  Dr. No        I was 14/15 at the time.  Had no clue about 007 went to see the other movie.  But never forgot Dr. No

2001 A Space Odyssey.     How about the first time I saw Gone with the Wind in 1967(?)

I was 10 years old and my little brother and I were spending the summer with my Dad in Topeka, KS.  My Dad would drop us off at the movie theater on Saturday afternoon with enough money to watch two movies.  It was a different world back then.  I didn't get it at the time, but he would go spend time with his girlfriend, then pick us up.  I remember watching Star Wars the first time, and the shock when Darth Vader killed Ben Kenobi.   The next Saturday, my brother and I saw it again, twice.  When Dad picked us up, and asked us what we saw, we yelled "Star Wars!".  And what else?  "Star Wars!".  He was like, you saw it twice??  The next week, he went with us, and loved it as much as us.

It almost seems like a cliche now, but I still think it's the best movie ever.

My Dad never had a lot of money, but we always had enough for a few comic books every week.   I grew up reading The Avengers, I feel very lucky to be seeing all the Marvel superheroes being brought to the big screen, and my Dad would have loved those too.

Star Wars. I saw it in DC before it gained its popularity. My friend had to convince me to go. I remember 'Sci-fi, ugh!' or something to that affect.  You just couldn't explain that movie at that time to others, who hadn't seen it.  I still watch it from time to time. Others Star Wars movies might be technically better. But the original has soul.   The Matrix did eclipse the technical aspects. Also, excellent story etc.

There were some movies at that time, that I think changed movies to come and culture. Jaws is one that has not been mentioned. Changed horror movies The Jerk, with Steve Martin. Martin was not under contract with SNL, not to make movies. He was contracted as a writer. Changed comedy.  The Deer Hunter. I think it changed the perception of Nam vets. Sort of changed War movies.  Saturday Night Fever, changed culture for a while. 

One other I'll add,  Blade Runner.  Except for the flashing neon lights on the hovering cop cars, I think it could be release today.  Alien is up there. Also, like Rocky.

Several movies I saw as a child in the '70s that I still will watch when I see them on:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  Lots of big name actors from the '50s starred in it.  It is just a crazy movie.

Stalag 17 with William Holden and Perter Graves.

The Great Escape.  Based on true events from WWII.  Steve McQueen was great.  He did his own motorcycle stunts (I read that on the internet, so it must be true.)

Never have seen "Dear Hunter" or "5 Easy Pieces".  The Great Escape was a fun action movie.

Fondest memory:  Taking my 4 year old son to the second Star Wars movie.  Simply watching his reactions to the movie was GREAT.

Nobody else has anything to say about "Dr. No"?   Check out this link and imagine what this did to a couple of 14 year old boys!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bikini_of_Ursula_Andress

10 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Never have seen "Dear Hunter" or "5 Easy Pieces".  The Great Escape was a fun action movie.

Fondest memory:  Taking my 4 year old son to the second Star Wars movie.  Simply watching his reactions to the movie was GREAT.

Nobody else has anything to say about "Dr. No"?   Check out this link and imagine what this did to a couple of 14 year old boys!!!

That was a little before my time.  Not to change the subject to books, but I've read all the original Ian Fleming/James Bond novels, and thought they were really good.  After reading Dr. No, I watched the movie.  I'd seen parts of it, but not all.

I'll change the subject a bit, to movies I wished I'd seen in the theater or even IMAX. RUSH, The A-TEAM, and Grand Prix. Even though Grand Prix is older, the scenes are well done. I'd include the MATRIX series on that too.  The Lord of the Rings, I'm glad I did. 

2 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I'll change the subject a bit, to movies I wished I'd seen in the theater or even IMAX. RUSH, The A-TEAM, and Grand Prix. Even though Grand Prix is older, the scenes are well done. I'd include the MATRIX series on that too.  The Lord of the Rings, I'm glad I did. 

Grand Prix was a great film in 1966.  Real Formula 1 drivers and driving cut into the film story!  Yes, I saw it on the big screen - way back when.

That is the year I graduated from high school, got my first British sports car (63 Sunbeam Alpine).   James Bond drove a 62 Alpine in " Dr. No", wonder if that was why I ended up with the Alpine?  Actually the Alpine was what I could pay for at the time.  Really wanted a red Triumph Spitfire - but that was $1800 and the Alpine was $900

On 2/16/2019 at 9:05 PM, johnj92131 said:

Still works for me!

I'd probably say Dumb and Dumber, that movie still makes me laugh but a lot went over my head as a kid and as I grew up I didn't appreciate some of the jokes quote as much. 

Same with Empire Strikes Back, I would love to re-watch it for the first time as an adult. 

• 2 weeks later...
On February 16, 2019 at 9:05 PM, johnj92131 said:

The Deer Hunter.  It was not filmed in my hometown in southwest PA (Johnstown), but is representative of almost every small Podunk town/city in the area at the time.  Most of it was filmed in Ohio, a couple scenes were shot around Pittsburgh.  If you are from that generation, it is one of the most powerful movies ever made.  I go to a very dark and secluded place when I watch it (which isn't very often).  It pulls memories and emotions out of me I never thought I had.  But every time I watch it, I remember them.  It's an outstanding movie in its own right, but you really can't appreciate its true depth unless you really experienced it firsthand.

On February 16, 2019 at 9:05 PM, johnj92131 said: