Toph (toff)

jdog

I guess since Ive got a bit of time and have put this off for long enough I will start my build thread. Forewarn this will be a real slow process and I will try to remember to update with pictures.

Guess Ill start at the beginning, I found this vehicle after word of mouth, had pulled a v6 for a cj I'm working on. As the guy operating the skid steer was loading the engine into my Dakota he goes he would you be interested in another one only difference is it says JEEP. That peeked my interest thinking it was a full size jeep but hoping it was a Comanche asked him where it was at, found out it wasn't far from there. I went by it a day later and seen it was a Comanche, looked it over, was missing a few things, but nothing that wasn't fixable, went back to the guy to get more info. Found out which house it belonged to and talked to the father of the owner, who then unlocked it and popped the hood, inspected and found it was clean, but the owner wasn't in. I went back a few days later and talked to the owner, worked out a price and towed it home. Now the fun parts, seeing what was broken/missing and finding Comanche club. After getting it home, threw a battery in it and replaced the key switch, hit the clutch, uh-oh there's a issue, filled and bleed clutch, hit the key, it starts and doesn't sound bad. Test drive it and found the trans has a noise sometimes, oh well it moves. The clutch would leak out about every two to three days, and not into the cab. Found the internal slave leaking, guess i gotta do a clutch kit, get it in the garage, tear out the trans. Clutch is shot as is the slave, look at the pukegot and found out why it got its name, the front bearing is SHOT. Not make noise shot but i can move the input shaft up and down 2-3 inches. Welp there goes a quick clutch job, start looking around, found a 1994/5 xj in the yard with a ax15 and external slave. Thanks to the research i did on CC found what parts i needed, pulled all the parts. Returned the clutch and got the correct one and installed the trans and transfer case. When i bought it it was missing a radio, and knee bolster, had buckets and a short console. Installed a full console I had sitting after installing a 97+ into the xj. the headlight switch was pushed into the dash, found a used one with a full cluster, installed and enjoyed having gauges. also found some good tires on ravine wheels, wanted to install turbines but can't complain. All this while it was in the garage for the trans. pulled the carpet and found the floors look decent, also found the po lost a buckle bolt and installed a smaller bolt and nut, this wasn't going to fly cause i didn't want to fly if any thing happens. trans in time to take it to get emissions, it fails, hook up the scanner found the 02 open loop. install new 02 retest, fails, this time its worse. after reviewing the results I suspect the cat, remove and found just a shell. Installed new exhaust from the cat back. return and it passes, get some plates.  After driving it for a while found out it has a bad fuse block I performed a closed to open and heater valve delete at some time before the trans and after the console. I located a 21 slot grill and surround and installed as well as some h4 bulbs. I installed a newer column for tilt and a single key, installed the locks to match.

Things I plan to do at some point:

Done: remove push bar, roll bar & side steps

Done: side steps removed 8/6/19

Done: Roll bar removed 8/29/19

Done: push bar removed 1/18/19

Done:2/2021  lift it 2-3 inches have pucks needs shackles/springs

Done: 97+ center console ( i miss cup holders that will hold a cup) installed 8/6/19

over head console - found one out of a Durango/Dakota gotta wire

Done: seats that match the rest of the interior- installed 8/18/19

Done: Cruisers tips ( I've doneall that apply to manual trans)

hitch

factory radio - on the list.

Done: rear bumper - installed a after market - 01/2019

fog lights - after bumper

Done: bed light - installed 10/6/19

Done: rear slider installed  02/28/20

in progress - AC - gathering parts

Done: power locks and windows -installed 8/18/19

Done: bed liner - 2/28/20 - factory unit

Done: chrome trim around grill - 2/22/20

Done: chrome front bumper - 2/22/20

Installed w/ winter tires: Turbine wheels - have wheels needs restored and tires

installed carpet / sound deadening - 3/20/21

Done: headliner - installed 10/6/19

Done: blue cluster - Installed unknown 2/2020 mileage corrected

Done: install front skid plate 2/16/20

Done: Laredo trim/door panels, cluster surround, leather wrapped wheel. installed 8/18/19

Done: Gas and Go- done multiple times

I guess that's it for now, ill add some pictures if i find them.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap!  a 21 slot grille!  score!   :bowdown:

don't forget the headlights relay.  :L:  oh, and Minuit refurbs the old radios and installs AUX ports (for direct connection or for bluetooth dongles).  look for his post in the vendors section of the classifieds.  I'm rocking one in my Liberty   :D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

back to the back burner again, my xj was stolen the other day, police located and i have it back, but now i gotta work on it and fix the stuff that was broken. as well as a few "upgrades". Hopefully I can get back to the comanche, as for now it gets driven off and on. will update once its in the garage again. On a side note, i'm going to have to rotate the tires again, might have a slight wobble that showed up with the last tire rotation. and I picked up a overhead console, but also noticed a dakota with a short console, more research is needed to determine if it would be a option.

• 2 months later...

Yea first ones that came up to me were jeep fans and his buddy says look a mj the other guy goes where oh that j 10 he goes no there so they had to come by and chat with me in the staging lanes. Guess jeep folks are always on the lookout, Even for half-Jeeps

• 2 months later...

Had to replace the e-brake cable, interior came out, floors inspected, not much rust. hit the surface rust with wire brush and applied por-15. installed 97+ center console. Thinking of making a cubby for the spot in front of the console. Picked up some 2 door seat frames, planning on picking up door cards and seat cushions from a 94 cherokee. Also going to pick up the overhead console and the leather wrapped steering wheel, and possibly the power window wiring. Next up is another cluster swap, I prefer the blue gauges and finally found a set. Removed the side steps,  and installed 97+ mirrors, trucks looking different.

20190804_174714[1].jpg

so I picked up 2 door power window and lock switches on the junkyard haul. then a couple days ago i picked up power window regulators, locks and the cross body harness from a 92 4 door. tonight I spent some time in the cross body harness converting it from a 4 door to a 2 door. donor also had remote locks, so that was removed as well. planning to do a write up on the install. didn't take any pictures of the wire harness de-clutter. also picked up the seat covers for the 2 door seats and door cards to match. found some country door cards as well for the stash. tomorrow will be testing and cleaning seats, and removing the mounts from the rocker seats. I think I'm either aiming for a laredo or a pioneer clone.

lets update this:

remove the push bar, roll bar and side steps- side steps removed 8/6

lift it 2-3 inches have pucks needs shakles

96 swap (puts flak jacket on)

97+ center console ( i miss cup holders that will hold a cup) installed 8/6

over head console - found one out of a durango/  dakota gotta wire

seats that match the rest of the interior- soon to be installed

Cruisers tips ( I've done 2,3,4,13,19,23,33,34,37)

hitch

factory radio - gotta contact minuit still.

rear bumper - installed a after market - 01/2019

fog lights - after bumper

bed light have needs installed after roll bar is out

3rd brake light - not gonna happen unless i can get a dakota one to fit, more to ponder

rear slider - have needs installed at some point.

AC - def. needs

power locks and windows - not something i thought of but have and needs installed

lca - have wj to install

bedliner - probably get a roll on kit

chrome trim around grill - soon

chrome front bumper - soon

Turbine wheels - have wheels needs restored and tires

carpet / sound deadening

headliner - have material just need to pull

blue cluster - gotta find one that fits

Laredo trim - have door panels, cluster surround, column/ leather wrapped wheel.

8 hours ago, jdog said:

bedliner - probably get a roll on kit

Get the Raptor stay in kit. It is just over $100 on Amazon and it comes as a complete kit-Gun and everything. We did that in mine. 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:04 PM, 89 MJ said:

Get the Raptor stay in kit. It is just over $100 on Amazon and it comes as a complete kit-Gun and everything. We did that in mine. 

i'll have to look into that

truck got power windows, locks and rocker seats. it should be happy butttt no now its blowing fuses. guess i gotta pull the fuse block. no pictures forgot to take any during, will attempt to take some tomorrow.

Update time,

So i found out why my vehicle all of a sudden decided it didn't like certain fuses. apparently when i had the kick panel off and doing the power windows the main harness got moved over. when i started the vehicle and released the clutch the cotter pin caught the harness. talk about a fun issue to find. It has now decided that it wants to shake every once in a while, I have new lower arms to install and will check the front end while installing. thats about all i have at the moment.