Comanche Dawn

Getting the bed prepped for U-Pol next weekend - weather permitting. Etching primer then adhesive promoter. Only want to do this once....Ran out of primer. More on the way. One can from U-Pol did most of the underside of the bed, which is pretty good. This bed will never rot when I am finished!!

20190217_163845.jpg

20190217_163843.jpg

Primed Clutch and brake pedal assembly, just need to paint gloss black then ready for rebuild with new plastic bushings Really liking the Eastwood 2K ceramic aerosol paints and primers. Lay down really well. Not cheap but appear to be really strong. Now I need  to mock up the pedals in the firewall and drill the holes for the clutch master cylinder. Part of the Auto to AX15 conversion. Luckily Jeep put dimple markings in the firewall for the holes. So it is pretty easy to align properly. Didn't get it right on my current Jeep. Cost me a broken master cylinder due to the pedal being slightly misaligned.

20190209_173232.jpg

20190209_173236.jpg

20190218_000434.jpg

Also modified the warning light cluster to add a headlight on warning light. Got this from the UK cluster. Repaced the Security indicator which isn't used. You can't see the join. I am going to wire this and the low washer fluid warning when I put her back together. Already wired the Full Time 4WD light  in my current Comanche for the NP242. Will repeat on this build. Cleaned up the bezel using Griots Plastic polish.

20190224_175059.jpg

20190224_222452.jpg

Well she has gone off for paint. Going to be about 2 Months. Plenty to do in the meantime. Change the D30 front knuckles is the next task so I can mount the Wilwood's. Scored a really good dash so it is going to be much easier to restore. The paint guy is going to install get new vinyl and foam where needed. The original would have been too much of a project. All the plastic was cracked and glued. Going to rebuild the heater box next. Needs evaporator and heater core plus all new foam seals. Pedal assembly has been refurbed and the firewall holes drilled. It lines up perfectly with the clutch master cylinder.

Old Dash Pad.jpg

New dash pad.jpg

Heater Box.jpg

Refurbed Pedal assy.jpg

On 2/24/2019 at 11:14 PM, Limeyjeeper said:

Managed to spray the chassis and bottom of the bed over the weekend with U-Pol Raptor. Very impressed. Great product goes down really well. Pretty much ready to go to paint. Use a respirator the VOC's off this stuff are nasty.

Friend of mine did raptor bedliner lime green on his whole jeep and turn out look great! Make it look whole brand New!

IMG_5381.jpg.018583a6abad76195ef1cbe47b75e1a2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Floors are fixed. Exactly like factory including the bead rolled lines and plug holes. New door hinges welded on and strengthened. Dents all pulled out. Next job primer. Also I have decided to do a 4.8 Gen III LS swap. It will give me 285hp+, which is plenty for a 3,100lb Comanche. The 4.8 puts less stress on the cooling system. Hoping to use an upgraded Jeep radiator., as I would like to use the 2 fan LHD, RHD, factory setup. We will see. Going to put the AX15 and NP242 behind it. Going to do an LS1 intake, so I don't need a cowl hood. Using Novak mounts and flange adaptors. Novak Headers, Deatschwerksworks injectors, and I can use the stock fuel pump with a Novak fuel regulator.  This way I don't grenade the drivetrain. Also going to put PRP Enduro Elite seats in. I have a set in my Wrangler which I will use. They test fitted really well. Gave me at 2" extra legroom which will make all the difference.

20190329_161811.jpg

20190329_161816.jpg

20190329_161822.jpg

20190329_161831.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So she is almost ready for paint, just have to finish the hood, which is proving to be quite the challenge. Hope to get paint on in the next 2 - 3 weeks. Going to start on the custom LS harness in the next couple of weeks. I have and old NOS jeep harness so I am going to use the Jeep PDC and wire in the LS injectors, sensors and PCM into that harness. This way the harness will look pretty close to factory. Not going to keep the Jeep PCM. EFI Connection is a great source for all the connectors for the build. Once that is done I will source a long block L33 and start the engine build.

20190426_163122.jpg

20190426_163139.jpg

20190426_172556.jpg

20190426_172616.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Got the dash done. It really came out great. Gonna look good against the orange. Just got the baja fiber hood to finish and install and then into the paint booth.

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

Beautiful.

11 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Got the dash done. It really came out great. Gonna look good against the orange. Just got the baja fiber hood to finish and install and then into the paint booth.

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

Looks amazing. Where did you get that done and how was it done?  Its hard to tell from pictures but kinda looks like it was wrapped in some material.

Wrapped in vinyl and glued down and heated to get it nice and tight. It is being done at a local restoration shop. Guy is doing it as a favor, he is into much more exotic projects normally than a lowly old Comanche. They are just doing the body, paint, installing the PRP seats and the dash. I am doing everything else myself. I will be getting it back in pieces!! My bodywork skills are just not that good and I will be keeping this truck for a long time so  want it doing right. It is tricky in the Texas heat to keep paint on!!

Decided to tackle the heater box over the weekend. What a nightmare. It needed all new foam inside and new gaskets. So hard to cut foam straight, not pretty but does the job.!! Had to scrape off all the interior foam as it was all crumbling and nasty. Purchased self adhesive foam sheets from Mcmaster-Carr (great company) and got to work. It turned out pretty well. I also replaced the heater core and evaporator, plus the temp control and heat sensors. Just waiting on neoprene to replace the fan motor seal. The polyethylene sheet is too soft to make a good seal. The fan seal is critical in stopping water getting into the cab. It is what caused the passenger floor issues on mine. Waiting on a new fan motor. The old one was rough.

20190330_141056.jpg

20190518_193238.jpg

20190519_175615.jpg

20190520_120856.jpg

20190520_120903.jpg

59 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Decided to tackle the heater box over the weekend. What a nightmare. It needed all new foam inside and new gaskets. So hard to cut foam straight, not pretty but does the job.!! Had to scrape off all the interior foam as it was all crumbling and nasty. Purchased self adhesive foam sheets from Mcmaster-Carr (great company) and got to work. It turned out pretty well. I also replaced the heater core and evaporator, plus the temp control and heat sensors. Just waiting on neoprene to replace the fan motor seal. The polyethylene sheet is too soft to make a good seal. The fan seal is critical in stopping water getting into the cab. It is what caused the passenger floor issues on mine. Waiting on a new fan motor. The old one was rough.

Can you share the part numbers for the foam sheets and neoprene you used?  I've been looking at the $45 kit below to seal up the engine bay side:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/seal-drain-to-dash-4874069ab.html

Were you able to get it done cheaper?

I used the following pieces:-

86225K53-  Flame-Retardant Super-Cushioning Foam Sheet, Polyurethane with Adhesive-Back, 24" x 24" x 1/4"            $13.98

86225K57 - Flame-Retardant Super-Cushioning Foam Sheet, Polyurethane with Adhesive-Back, 24" x 24" x 1"                $27.39

8647K701 - Light Duty Blended EPDM Foam Sheet Soft, 1-1/4" Thick, 42" Wide, 1 ft. Length                                               $40.78

I didn't use the kit you are talking about because I didn't know it existed!! and it is for a 1997 onwards. I don't know if the seal is the same. If it is then I missed out on a much easier fix. You still need the Poly to fix all the other seals and internal foam.